Attachment Parenting
Options

Newborn cosleeping

Does anyone have any recommendations for cosleeping with a newborn? How to dress them/you? Our house is slightly chilly at 66. I'm a FTM and want to cosleep, but am a bit confused about how to go about it. We have a pack n play set up next to our bed, but I find it hard to get baby in and out easily. We plan on setting up the crib as a side car, once we receive the hardware. Any help in the meantime would be great.

Re: Newborn cosleeping

• Options
    We always swaddled our babies as newborns and then moved them into light cotton Halo sleepsacks when that stage passed.
  • Options
    dufferoo said:
    We always swaddled our babies as newborns and then moved them into light cotton Halo sleepsacks when that stage passed.

This.

OP I highly recommend you read up on safe co-sleeping or watch some videos on it if that is your plan.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have an arms reach co-sleeper. Easier to get baby out!

I swaddle in a summer infant thin cotton swaddle wrap. Then put inside a fleece halo sleep sack with no Velcro.
  • Options
    Agreed with pp...Google safe co-sleeping.

Some things to keep in mind to get you started when bed sharing with a newborn.
    - those who smoke, have had alcohol or other drowse inducing medicine, and those who are obese should never bed share
    - of you have long hair, the it back
    - only bedshare if you wake when baby mover or makes noise
    - don't swaddle when bed sharing. Your body heat will keep baby pretty warm.
    - don't use blankets. Dress yourself as warm as your baby. Pillows are generally a no no.
    - keep baby on your side. Dads are less aware.
    - there shouldn't be a gap between the head of your bed and the headboard/wall.

This is NOT an exhaustive list, but just some ideas to keep everyone safe. Make sure to do the research!

I did choose to bed share, and I love it. Nursing is so easy. I do know someone whose mother over laid her baby sister, however. Just be safe!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter hated to be swaddled so she wore pjs. I used the footies or the long "dress" type. We bed share and I just used a light receiving blanket to cover, but she is hot blooded and often didn't use any blankets. She still doesn't as a toddler. Did you pack n play come with a bassinet? Mine did so it was super easier to get baby in and out. I used mine for naps when I could get her to sleep in there. 
  • Options
    I put him in the bassinet or do the bed share.