Babies: 3 - 6 Months

14 week old will not sleep?

My LO does not nap! I'm really concerned because he needs to sleep, If he was STTN i would not be as worried but his longest stretch of sleep is from 7pm-11:30ish and then its up every 3 hours. I have tried everything, i rock and nurse him to sleep but he wont stay down for more than 30 min. I used to be able to get him to nap with me for 1.5-2 hours but he wont even do that. He does have silent reflex and is on prevacid but i dont think that should prevent him from sleeping. I have tried to put him down awake but he just lays there for 30 or so min and then starts crying. I have read every book out there and just dont know what to do, its very discouraging.

Re: 14 week old will not sleep?

• I don't have any advice for you, but I am right there with you. My LO is 14 weeks today and rarely naps. We get about 3 20-30 minute cat naps a day. He won't even sleep in the car! I've tried so many things: white noise, swaddling, etc. I've just had to come to terms that I do not have a good sleeper, not sure what else to do! He has reflux too and he sleeps in a rock and play for the incline.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Vik9 said:
    My LO does not nap! I'm really concerned because he needs to sleep, If he was STTN i would not be as worried but his longest stretch of sleep is from 7pm-11:30ish and then its up every 3 hours. I have tried everything, i rock and nurse him to sleep but he wont stay down for more than 30 min. I used to be able to get him to nap with me for 1.5-2 hours but he wont even do that. He does have silent reflex and is on prevacid but i dont think that should prevent him from sleeping. I have tried to put him down awake but he just lays there for 30 or so min and then starts crying. I have read every book out there and just dont know what to do, its very discouraging.

OP it's the age. You'll see a lot of posts about this because it's common. It was the single most frustrating thing with my first child and then by the time I had my second child I knew what to expect and it wasn't so shitty.

The only thing you can do for naps or sleeping in general is watch for tired cues, feed your LO and then make the room conducive to sleep. Everything else is completely out of your hands. Don't read about how much sleep a child should get at a certain age. Those are just general guidelines. You can't force your LO to sleep or stay asleep so do what you can and then hope the phase passes quickly.

Sleep is going to suck for a while. From what I've experienced, sleep doesn't get easier or improve until around 6 months. Babies are just changing too much and too unpredictable before 6 months old. Hang in there.

• Loading the player...
  • My son has reflux too. It's been a awful. My first slept like a dream and my son is a mess. Where does he sleep? My son sleeps in a swing. It's the only thing that helps. Also, we just found out he has a milk allergy. Have you looked into that at all? It's been a lot better since we got that figured out.