C-sections

Should I get a tubal?

gdgrl711gdgrl711 member
edited January 2016 in C-sections
Hello, wondering if anyone has any experience with a tubal during csection? I'm 40 and this will be my 4th baby, 3rd and final csection in May. I was going to have a tubal but have heard about problems such at gnarly periods, hormona changes and even that a tubal doesn't stop conception, just implementation, so women feel pregnant often. All this info really has me on the fence. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Should I get a tubal?

• I am opting to have my tubes completely removed as a means of sterilization instead of a tubal ligation. There is a lot of emerging research about the benefits of doing it this way. My doctors said he believes this will be what is done in the future for all surgical female sterilization. One big benefit they are finding is that studies show that most deadly forms of ovarian and uterine cancer actually start in the fallopian tubes and then migrate to the other organs. I have a history of female cancers in my family, so this is a good option for me and that helped me make up my mind. I've heard this is becoming standard practice in Canada rather than ligation. It also eliminates the chance of eptopic pregnancy, which is higher with a tubal and may result in a second surgery to remove the tube anyway. Also, there has never been a verified case of pregnancy after a double tube removal, yet I know of 3 people personally that have gotten pregnant after ligations! My OB has done many tube removals for eptopics or other reasons and he assured me that the side effects are very very low, like he has done hundreds and had 2 people experience heavier bleeding afterward which eventually cleared up in a year. They don't touch your ovaries, so you still produce hormones the same way etc. He said most women who have these side effects have them because of a problem during the procedure, which can happen with any surgery. With a c-section there is also the risk of nerve damage or messing with blood flow, but an experienced surgeon makes these risks very low. 

You should do what you feel is right for you, but I thought I would mention this because I think it is a good option to explore if you are considering sterilization. Some insurance won't cover it, but mine doesn't even require pre approval so I think it is becoming more common to cover it. You could ask your OB about it. Here are some articles I've read about it:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/829616

https://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Gynecologic-Practice/Salpingectomy-for-Ovarian-Cancer-Prevention

• I am having a tubal when they do my csection from this pregnancy. DH and I are done having kids and since they will be in there anyway I'm just getting it taken care of.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • amm0512amm0512 member
    edited January 2016
    I just had my tubal at the same time as c section #2. My OB/GYN mentioned two types: the usual tubal ligation and one where they remove the fallopian tubes entirely. The second procedure is sometimes not done with a c section because your body has increased blood volume while pregnant, meaning an increased risk of hemorraging. By ligating the fallopian tubes, the egg never makes it down the tube, so sperm never meets egg, and no implantation. I just stopped PP bleeding, so not sure about heavier periods, but my guess would be it's all genetic.
  • Like @camusoh2011 I am having my tubal during my CS. The paperwork and approval is already done. I will be 35 this year and this is our third child, we are done.
  • I want to have a tubal during my next csection but I deliver at a catholic hospital so it's not an option.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017