February 2016 Moms
Options

35 weeks and just got laid off

Definitely didn't see this coming... I was a part of a lay off at work today. Not even sure where to start now that my little but if maternity leave is gone and I'll have to start looking for a new job once baby comes. Is anyone else in a similar situation that can commiserate?

I was the earner in our household and we just bought our first house this summer on top of everything else too. Don't know what we are going to do and I feel so bad for the stress this is going to put on my hubby.

:neutral:

Re: 35 weeks and just got laid off

• Options
    Have you looked into the legality of it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options
    Because I was a part of a wider lay off, it's legal, they can "prove" that I was not let go because I am pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @krabs I'm sorry to hear that.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options
    That really sucks! Start sending out ur resume now. By time u get a call back and interview and they are ready for u to start, ur maternity leave time could be up. It is too bad u wont be earning during this time, but try to get unemployment benefits while ur out so u have something coming in. This case def warrants using what resources are available to u. Good luck!

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry.  That must be really tough. 

I can commiserate in the financial sense.  We own a home that we've rented out to a friend's father-in-law for several years.  He died unexpectedly in the beginning of December, without having paid December rent, and apparently in a lot of secret financial trouble.  His family, who again we are good friends with, has yet to move any of his belongings out of the house, and they apparently aren't planning on paying any December or January rent...$1500/month that we just have to pony up until they get his belongings out and we can put it on the market.  I'm trying so hard to be patient and compassionate, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of.  My dad passed away suddenly two months ago, so I understand how much there is to do and how emotionally draining it is....but you still just have to do it, right??  Anyway, it's really stressful having that financial stress lurk over us as we anticipate the baby coming.  Life's like that, I guess.  You have to take the good with the bad:/
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    If they are good friends, then they should have eased your burden first. Move the stuff to a storage and let them know, that you expect a payment in the amount, There has to be some kind of legal solution for that
  • Options
    I'm hoping you qualify for unemployment to help float you until you can get another job. Any chance of a severance package? I'm sorry that happened, I can't imagine how stressful it is :(

• Options
    Prayers for you and your family. I pray you don't stress too much about it and still focus on staying healthy through your last stretch of pregnancy.y hubby and I are in a tight financial season as we are newly self employed with two other little ones. I've learned to do what I can and trust God with the rest. It all seems to work out. Stay positive. Maybe consider a home based business in the meantime?
  • Options
    @krabs
    I've been made redundant from my role- They have however, honoured my maternity pay for the 9 months.
    I got my union involved and checked everything through but, same as yourself, the redundancies are part of a restructure within the school, so therefore can go ahead without discrimination...

I assume from the posts that it's mainly USA mums here- living in the UK there isn't really any advice i can give- i plan to talk with our advice centre and seek government support to help in the last few months of maternity.

I hope you have some support system over there to help you get by and spend the time you deserve as a mother with your baby
  • Options
    I've been struggling for work the whole time I've been pregnant and it's not easy. I work an on call job and the other nurses told me to start my disability early. You can apply for unemployment or disability. You've been working so you have the money to use. Apply to jobs and put your start date to when you are ready to go to work. Sending good vibes your way.
  • Options

I second unemployment.

Also look at the policies that you may have had with your job (short term disability perhaps?) because it might still be in effect when it's time for your dr to put you out or you may have the option to extend it and pay the premiums directly which would let you still collect.

What state are you in? If it's NY then there is a state mandated disability policy that all employers have to offer and it's good for up to 8 weeks after you leave employment at that place so based on your due date you would definitely still qualify. it's only up to 170 a week for 6 weeks after a waiting week, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye!

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    I just got laid off on Monday. So I can completely understand the stress you are going through. My husband now has to pick up the bills that I'm no longer able to pay which stresses me out. I did sign up for unemployment. However, it's only half of what I was making at my job so I am not able to pay my normal share of bills anymore. We had saved up for 8 weeks of maternity leave so we were prepared until this happened. They tell me that they are going to take me back eventually. But if things don't pick up then I don't think they will. So I'm stuck right now as far as what to do? I have been looking at jobs. But that's hard because I'm due on Feb. 5th. So I'm really at a standstill.