November 2015 Moms

Bassinet protest

My LO is 8 weeks and decided this week he is not going to sleep in his bassinet. He will fall asleep in my arms and as soon as I lay him down his eyes pop open. I keep seeing all these posts about rock n plays being awesome. My question is this- at 8 weeks is it too late to buy a rock n play? How long do you (STM) typically let them sleep in one until moving to a crib? If I am going to get decent use of it I think I will bite the bullet. I'm desperate for some sleep! Thanks in advance.

Married DH December 2014
Expecting DS#1 November 2015

Re: Bassinet protest

• wimamaof2wimamaof2 member
    edited January 2016
    Our 7 week old has been protesting since last week too. He used to take his morning nap there and his other naps in his crib. At night time, he would only sleep in his glider (very similar to the rock and play), goes up to 30 lbs and would sleep for 5 to 6 hours straight. This week, I have been wanting for him to sleep during the night in his pack and play. He falls asleep, but then he starts grunting, squeaking, and protests to the point that he spits up (about 1 to 2 hours after feeding).
    I think the change is because we had family over and he was held all the time.
    Hopefully we can get him back to where we were very soon.

I am a FTM and I highly recommend it.

Edit because I am way too tired to use proper grammar...
  • I have been doing some research and around the 6-8 week mark is when newborns are their fussiest. They fight sleep because there is just so much going on. My 7 week old fights sleep like no ones business. My trick is to really make sure he's out and then put him in the bassinet.

I would love to try a rock n play but that is just one more thing to buy. This baby is expensive enough. We will tough it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO sleeps well in her pack and play at night but only when she's swaddled and rocked back to sleep in my arms. I then hold her for 15min to make sure she's really sleeping before putting her down. Luckily she falls asleep quickly and I bump during those 15min so it's not bad.

She recently stopped daytime naps in the PNP and the RNP. She just wants to be held. At 8wks I figure it's just a transition we are working through but hopefully she gets back to napping somewhere other than my arms.

When she was sleeping in the RNP I typically only like letting her sleep there for 15min before moving her. Sometimes longer of it's been a bad day for sleep and she's really tired, but I keep a close eye on her.
  • As others have said this is a big leap time for babies in development which leads to crappy sleep.
    While my daughter didn't sleep in the RnP past a month she did love hanging out in it until she was about 9-10 months. It was a great angle for her and she was up higher so she liked sitting in it more than the bouncer. She also took her bottles there while I was at work. We got a lot of use out of it.
    So far my son enjoys sitting it in too. He sleeps part of the night it in, but is only 5 weeks old.
  • Would you be able to borrow a rnp to see if it's something your LO likes? After having heard how great they are and being exhausted because he would only sleep in my arms, I borrowed one from a friend to see how my son liked it. He hated it and wouldn't sleep in it. I was glad I had borrowed one before spending the money.
  • My LO has not slept in the bassinet since about 2 weeks old. We opted for the stripped down version of the RNP and DH went out in the middle of the night to get it because we were so tired. She's slept for 5 hour stretches ever since. Did her last feeding at midnight and she didn't get up until 5:30 today. She loves it and will only sleep in that. It was like a gift sent from Heaven
  • Thanks for all the replies. He ended up going to sleep (finally) in his bassinet for two 3 hour stretches. I am going to get a RNP today to hopefully help with naps and to try to get some longer stretches. We plan on having more kids so I think it will get plenty of use, even if he doesn't love it. @rachswi I have asked around but no one has one for me to borrow!

I'll let you know how he likes it! Good luck to all the tired mamas. It truly is an exhausting (but totally amazing) job we do.

Married DH December 2014
  • I would say as long at he's within weight limit I would give it a shot.
  • Can you buy one used on Craigslist and then if it ends up not being worth it, resell it?
  • Thanks for all the replies. He ended up going to sleep (finally) in his bassinet for two 3 hour stretches. I am going to get a RNP today to hopefully help with naps and to try to get some longer stretches. We plan on having more kids so I think it will get plenty of use, even if he doesn't love it. @rachswi I have asked around but no one has one for me to borrow!

I'll let you know how he likes it! Good luck to all the tired mamas. It truly is an exhausting (but totally amazing) job we do.

We buy all of this kind of equipment from buy buy baby so if he doesn't like it we can return it. We tried thr rock a roo for 7 weeks, he still didn't care for it so Sunday my husband packed it up (we kept the box) and returned it. We ended up getting g a different t swing which he seems to like. They have always been great about returning what didn't work.
  • GoogleMD said:

Thanks for all the replies. He ended up going to sleep (finally) in his bassinet for two 3 hour stretches. I am going to get a RNP today to hopefully help with naps and to try to get some longer stretches. We plan on having more kids so I think it will get plenty of use, even if he doesn't love it. @rachswi I have asked around but no one has one for me to borrow!

We buy all of this kind of equipment from buy buy baby so if he doesn't like it we can return it. We tried thr rock a roo for 7 weeks, he still didn't care for it so Sunday my husband packed it up (we kept the box) and returned it. We ended up getting g a different t swing which he seems to like. They have always been great about returning what didn't work.

That's awesome! Great to know, thanks!

Married DH December 2014
  • So I got a rock n play with auto rocker for 30 dollars (open box sale and extra coupon). Major win!

Married DH December 2014
  • Update: this thing is a true blessing for us! He slept from 9-3 last night, woke up to eat and then slept 4-8. I feel like a new woman!!!

Married DH December 2014
  • My son is 11 weeks and he still fights bedtime, although his fussy all day phase has passed...he is just learning so much he doesn't want to fall asleep and miss a beat.

We have found co-sleeping is the only way for all of us to get rest, he sleeps nearly all night when he co-sleeps with us.

• vomitrosa said:

My son is 11 weeks and he still fights bedtime, although his fussy all day phase has passed...he is just learning so much he doesn't want to fall asleep and miss a beat.

We have found co-sleeping is the only way for all of us to get rest, he sleeps nearly all night when he co-sleeps with us.

My son is the same. There are the odd nights where he will sleep in his bassinet but is a chronic spitter upper so even if I burp him and then lay him in his bassinet he usually ends up spitting up within a half an hour of laying him down. Nursing him in bed and not moving him seems to be the only way he won't spit up what he has just eaten at night.

• @SweetTooth126 that's exactly how we felt when we got ours. And it doesn't even rock itself.
  • wulfpackgirlwulfpackgirl member
    edited January 2016
    My son is 12 weeks and we're trying to get him out of the rnp now and it is a nightmare. It's great in the beginning until you try to get them out of the thing. I googled it and it seems lots of people have trouble transitioning babies out of the rnp.