May 2016 Moms
Options

Any non-first time Moms creating a registry for the discount?

I didn't even consider doing this, but then I read this story on Penny Hoarder and started to think about creating one just for the coupons, free samples, and registry completion discount. I wouldn't tell anyone that I registered, but if someone were looking online for one or they asked, would it sound selfish to say "Yes, I have a registry". Appreciate your thoughts. 
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any non-first time Moms creating a registry for the discount?

• Options
    Yes, many STMs have already announced their intentions to do so via other discussions on this sote. It seems to be a fairly common practice.
  • Options
    Yup I am! For the coupons and to basically keep a list of the few things I need/want.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yerp - for sure! And also to just keep a list of things as I see them!
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    edited January 2016

Definitely. I am having a shower, but I put a ton of stuff on there that I don't expect anyone to buy just so I can get my discount. I also get points back for everything purchased off of my registry, so I have been adding the little things I buy here and there (clothes, diapers, wipes) to the registry and then just purchase them off of it for the extra points.

ETA: I just now realized that this is for non-FTM haha! I am a FTM, but would still register next time around for the benefits!

• Options
    Absolutely!   For the welcome box with coupons and samples, and for the completion discount.  And because I know our family is going to want buy us stuff, and I prefer to give them guidance.  Plus, my in-laws will only shop from a wishlist or registry. ;p

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I am making one for discounts for a few items that I know I'll need down the line. As far as anyone else is concerned, my registry doesn't exist though because I have it set to "private."
  • Options
    Where do you guys find is the best place to make a registry? As in, which ones have the best welcome packages, coupons, discounts etc? With my son we registered at Target and I honestly have no recollection if we got samples, coupons etc. We probably did, but I am drawing a blank!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yup, I made one all 3 times with Target and Babies R Us. @laurenmdrn16 Target sends me a poo ton of coupons and my friend just had her baby and the gave her a gift card! I didn't get a gift card the last 2 times but if that's a possibility, that's where I'll be. I got cash back I think on the babies r us one...I don't remember honestly! But around where I live those are the only 2 places that give registry benefits for babies lol
  • Options
    Great idea!  I'm expecting #3 after a set of twin girls, but all of my neighbors have boys, so I really don't need to buy any clothes.  But of course there's always diapers!!  and the convertible car seat!

I think I will set one up as I get closer to term.  I do worry about people buying things for us if/when we send out a birth announcement card.  I love to send out cards, but at is happened last time, some people did send gifts - which was not my intent!!  A birth announcement card might cause out-of-towners to look up a registry.  We'll see!

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    Baby's r us has the 10% off coupon plus an extra 15% in you open up a card ( I'm not one for credit cards but hello 25% baby furniture lol). But I am a FTM, but I gotta say babies r us is pretty sweet, plus they have all these free baby classes
  • Options
    I'm a FTM but I think it makes sense to have a registry based on what others have said. I currently use mine as a shopping list (as certain things go on sale.....I buy!) and if others want to get things for you at least they know what you want. Have fun!!
  • Options
    Yes, I am totally registering this time with my 3rd pregnancy (twins) and did at least with Target for my 2nd and remembered the coupons and a good Shutterfly deal, but that was back then. I did not have showers/sprinkles, etc with my 2nd but since there's a big age gap this time and I'm having twins so many people have asked about hosting something. On my registries I'm writing a message at the top that I'm not particular about most brands. For example, I might register for Gerber washcloths at Target but I could really care less what the brand is or if they even come from Target. All I know is I could use washcloths. OK, I'm totally rambling. ;)
  • Options
    Target has a gift bag with a bunch of samples. You can get it even if you register online, just go to customer service.
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    edited January 2016
    IMO, I liked BRU better than Target or Amazon for my first go-around.  Because A) I lot of family and friends sometimes prefer to go to a baby store and pick something out - I'm talking grandparents, aunts, friends of our parents.  Amazon is too much for my grandmother to handle and B ) I consistently find that BRU has a much better selection - online and in the store - than Target does when it comes to bassinets, cribs, strollers, bedding, etc. 

As a STM creating a registry for myself (completion coupons and keeping track), I'll likely do one at both Amazon and BRU.

image        image

• Options
    Thanks everyone! Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm not a first time mom but my oldest will be turning 10 shortly after I'm due so I'm starting all over again and treating it like it is lol
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you can stack the completion code with the 5% red card discount?
  • Options
    @kami09 I was wondering the same thing. I don't know, but I'm going to pick up the welcome package from guest services this weekend and I'll ask.
  • Options
    Yes, making registries for the discounts! Keeping them private, though.
  • Options
    kbrands7 said:

Here's the Target Welcome Bag loot:

Coupons: Gilligan O'Malley nursing bra/cami, Liz Lange maternity apparel, Starbucks, Mustela, Enfamil, seventh generation, Babyganics, Avent, Honest Company, Pampers, Johnson & Johnson's, and Lansinoh.

Samples: aquaphor, Lansinoh nursing pads and freezer bag, dreft scent boost, Honest Company diaper and wipes, Pampers diaper clutch with diaper and wipes, Johnson and Johnson's soap, seventh generation wipes, Olly prenatal vitamins, Babyganics laundry detergent, 1 Avent Natural Bottle, 1 MAM newborn pacifier, all inside a small tote bag.

Bravo, Target.

Wahoo! I was planning on picking up mine today...but that would require getting dressed. Hmmmm...might be worth it!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This is my fourth baby and I've honestly never made a baby registry.
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Options
    Oooh, that definitely motivates me to get over to Target to pick mine up!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I need that diaper clutch! Lol- I hope mine is the same print because that is so cute.
  • Options
    Disappointing update: I went to the Target in my city and they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for my Welcome Bag after making a baby registry. They directed me to an iPad that was set up to print the registry out. I explained that there should be a bag with coupons and samples and they looked at me like I had 5 heads. Last time I made a registry, I went to a different Target (closer to my hometown) and I do remember getting all the coupons and goodies. Can I go back there or do I have to deal with my now local Target?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Disappointing update: I went to the Target in my city and they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for my Welcome Bag after making a baby registry. They directed me to an iPad that was set up to print the registry out. I explained that there should be a bag with coupons and samples and they looked at me like I had 5 heads. Last time I made a registry, I went to a different Target (closer to my hometown) and I do remember getting all the coupons and goodies. Can I go back there or do I have to deal with my now local Target?
    I'd go to a different Target-- when I went, I briefly explained that I had made my registry online and that the website said to visit a Target store for the Welcome Bag. The person at Guest Services went right into the back and brought one out. She didn't even ask for the registry information.
  • Options
    I don't see why you couldn't just go to a different one. We don't even have a local Target. I have to drive an hour or more to get to one (hence I never make a Target registry). I don't see why they would care which one you go to to get your welcome bag.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    They didn't ask for any of my registry information either.  I just said I made a registry and I received a message to pick up my welcome bag from guest services.  My bag had exactly what @kbrands7 posted.

My Amazon package is supposed to come tomorrow.  I made my registry, then purchased something off it so I met the $10 purchase requirement.  I'll let you know what it has.
  • Options
    I received my Amazon goody package today. You create the registry, need to have Amazon prime, and have at least $10 of purchases on your registry to receive. I got a full size 80 ct package of Amazon wipes, 5 day trial of New Chapter Perfect Prenatal (the brand I currently take), Babyganics sample lotion, Avent bottle, Enfamil sample pack, Avent sample breast pads, Burts Bees sample shampoo & body wash, MAM pacifier, and Burts Bees renewal firming cream sample.

• Options
    js8812 said:

They didn't ask for any of my registry information either.  I just said I made a registry and I received a message to pick up my welcome bag from guest services.  My bag had exactly what @kbrands7 posted.

My Amazon package is supposed to come tomorrow.  I made my registry, then purchased something off it so I met the $10 purchase requirement.  I'll let you know what it has.

I'm excited to see what's in the Amazon package. Mine won't arrive until Thursday. I did get a code for a free Kindle pregnancy or parenting book from Amazon which I was really excited about!
  • Options
    Wow! That Amazon welcome box is amazing! I might just have to do this.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ok, stupid question, but this Amazon package, is that only for prime members? I don't want a membership, but saw online that they offer a 30 day free trial. Could I actually do this, set up my registry, order something and then cancel it? 
  • Options
    caterin said:
    Ok, stupid question, but this Amazon package, is that only for prime members? I don't want a membership, but saw online that they offer a 30 day free trial. Could I actually do this, set up my registry, order something and then cancel it? 
    Yes. You could sign up for the trial, buy $10 of something off of the registry, get the package and then cancel if you want to.

I will say though, it's not for everyone, but I love having Amazon prime.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that picture! I used those wipes at my sister's and they were amazing!!! I asked her what brand...and she said she forgot??? lol
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Yes.  But we honestly needed a few things (boring stuff, diapers, wipes, etc.) so will buy off of it fort the discount. 
  • Options
    I finally completed my Amazon registry and received my "Welcome" box. Now I need to find a place to start my baby pile in the house. I really want to start getting ready for the baby but home improvements are preventing that particular activity. One week away from the 3rd trimester!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Started a registry at target, buy buy baby and babies r us. Not having a shower but doing it for the deals, also some items I can order from one store but not the other. Those sample bags are really cute I have to say!