July 2016 Moms

ANNOYED WITH IRON!

I apologize in advance for the length of this...maybe grab a snack, take a seat...So, I opened a letter today that slipped through the cracks of my iron-clad-Mail-organization-system (pile on the kitchen table, anyone?) It was from a month ago...it was a letter from the OB saying that my hemoglobin (from my blood draw...a month ago...) is very low and to start taking iron supplements (I expected this, I've been taking iron on and off for most of my life). While I'm horridly annoyed at the way they chose to notify me (I checked my labs on the online patient portal as soon as they were available and there not one mention of hemoglobin! I called the dr because I was having horrible migraines two weeks ago and no one said boo!) I'm just going to accept that I've been neglecting my anemia for the last month (internally crying) and move on. THAT BEING SAID: they listed a few OTC iron supplements, and I'm curious which ones you all have found to be the EASIEST on the stomach. I read a couple of threads already but I'm looking for really tummy friendly recommendations. I already eat at least a serving of spinach of broccoli every day, and try to look for extra iron wherever I can in my diet-just because of my history- but I'm really sensitive to the supplements. I'm super bummed, and apparently typically malnourished. Thoughts for your frail little friend??

Re: ANNOYED WITH IRON!

• Are you taking any prenatals? Those have iron in them and people on here have said certain gummy brands are really easy on the stomach.
  • I am- Rainbow Light (great on the stomach!) They have iron, but not enough (I've been taking them for six months)!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm anemic and my midwife has me on floradix (the capsules). She said they're the easiest for the body to break down and don't cause constipation. This is in addition to the prenatals. 

• Check to make sure it's ok while pregnant but I have taken slow-fe on and off most of my life and iit works good no stomach pain. I know frys and Kroger, Fred Meyers have an off brand that's cheaper.
  • rakel88 said:

Are you taking any prenatals? Those have iron in them and people on here have said certain gummy brands are really easy on the stomach.

FYI a lot of prenatal gummies don't have iron in them.
  • I have nothing to add, but wanted to say I totally thought this was going to be about an iron you use to press clothes. Totally doesn't make any sense, but that's what popped into my mind. Ha!!!
  • I just started on the Target brand slow release 1 a day tablets. No stomach issues so far! I also have been eating Total cereal which has 100% daily iron, so on days when I don't have the cereal I will take the supplement and vice versa
  • I am with @LinzerBinzer I was totally thinking this was going to be about ironing clothes. :smile: 
  • I had issues with anemia from low iron last pregnancy but more in the third trimester and ended up talking ferrous fumerate.
  • My iron was so low I had to have three iron infusions after my son was born...pretty much expecting the same thing this time.
  • Thanks everyone for your help!! I ended up grabbing Slow Fe because the box does advertise less nausea (boxes don't lie!) I also hate ironing clothes, so if anyone has tips on that feel free to share ;)