August 2016 Moms
Options

Maternity clothes vs bigger sizes

So ladies which do you prefer/suggest?

Re: Maternity clothes vs bigger sizes

• Options
    Depends on the item of clothing. It definitely doesn't hurt to have some "fat pants" and looser tops you can bust out now since maternity pants won't stay up (and I'd be embarrassed if anyone saw the elastic waist this early, lol). Plus you'll need bigger clothes postpartum and believe me, you'll be ready to burn your maternity clothes at that point, you'll be so sick of them.

That said, farther along in pregnancy, nothing beats actual maternity clothes. Sure, you might be able to make a few pieces work, but actual maternity clothes are so much more comfortable and flattering.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of buying bigger clothes. The waist in my current clothes got tight early. I went ahead and ordered a few pair of maternity jeans and they fit nicely. I don't have any issues with them staying up. I have high band jeans where I just fold the band down for now. I also have low band jeans, which are more ideal right now. They're skinny jean style and no one can tell they are maternity except for me. I think maternity jeans are so much more comfortable. I don't need maternity tops yet, but going ahead and wearing the jeans has been less restricting. I can also continue wearing my same size without suffering bagginess in other places. Everyone will have different preferences though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    All my jeans have stretchy waistbands (on purpose - I knew I'd get pregnant at some point). They're starting to get to the point where I need to unbutton them to sit comfortably, so I might need a Belly Band soon. Hoping to wait a bit longer for maternity clothes (probably jeans first), but we'll see.
  • Options
    Maternity clothes are so much more flattering than bigger sized clothes.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • Options
    There were lots of loose tops and sweaters (non maternity) I wore through most of my last pregnancy but when it comes to pants I would definitely stick to maternity. They are so much more flattering and comfortable. I invested in one pair of really nice maternity jeans (along with a couple of cheap ones) and they were so worth it. A bigger size will most likely only work for a short time, and you could always get a belly band for the in-between stage instead.

• Options
    I've purchased some maternity leggings and a belly band already. I've been getting super bloated, so having both of these as options for those days helps a ton. Otherwise, I just wear my normal sized clothing.
  • Options
    I personally think it really does depends on the type of clothing you are going for. I prefer my husband's pj's lol. But in my past pregnancies I have worn regular pants for as long as I comfortably could. Then I moved to maternity pants. But I love leggings so I could wear them everyday pregnant or not. Now, Shirts I have a few maternity tops but I tend to wear all of the shirts I already own and stay away from the ones that are tight
  • Options
    I would invest in some maternity pants, they have some with short elastic bands, which work great when you don't have a huge belly, and are still comfy after baby comes. But bigger size tops are good for early in pregnancy and right after. I'm living in leggings now, and know that after baby these will be stretched out and going in the garbage. Remember, anything you squeeze yourself into that isn't maternity will be stretched out and you probably won't want them after baby. I just went out this weekend and got some maternity clothes, and I'm only 9 weeks! But I ruined a lot of stuff in my last pregnancy squeezing my big belly in everything I could lol. Figured I'll just be prepared and comfy now :)
  • Options
    Any thoughts on shorts? I live where it's hot, and we're going on a cruise in a few weeks. My old shorts are too tight so wasn't sure if I should just buy a bigger size or if maternity shorts would stay up. I also looked at getting elastic waistband, beach style shorts, but it's hard to find any that aren't super short.
  • Options
    @katie121209 .. there are maternity shorts that have a thin elastic waist band, and look like regular shorts when your shirt covers the band. I had one pair that I paid good money for when I was pregnant with my first, but I wore them all the time. I will definitely be finding another pair for this summer. Think I find my first pair at motherhood.
  • Options
    Walmart has really good prices on maternity clothing fyi for those on a budget.
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Buying some stuff in a bigger size can also be helpful for after the baby.  My hips and stuff didn't shrink although I lost the weight very quickly.  

• Options
    I preferred regular maternity clothes with #1, they're made to fit a pregnant body so I think they're more flattering vs. just being big and blousey. 
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    MrsWehMrsWeh member
    edited January 2016
    I personally liked buying camis in larger sizes. Arizona and ANA at JCP seem to be very long anyway. It was way cheaper to buy those instead of maternity camis.
  • Options
    Maternity clothes, since they were made especially for the preggo body shape! And they can be more supportive. Mumberry has great pants and shirts with a built-in belly-support band designed for pregnant ladies :) lifts a lot of belly weight off of the back and pelvis/hips. Plus they are on Amazon prime too!