April 2015 Moms

How did you night wean your baby?

My baby is 8 months old and yet he still wakes up for bottle every four hours even at night. How did you night wean your baby?
Thank you in advance.

Re: How did you night wean your baby?

• I personally did cry-it-out sleep training at 5 months and it worked really effectively and fast for us. You could also do a method where you gradually and slowly offer them less and less in their bottle, or dilute the formula slowly and gradually more and more until it is just water. 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson

• With both my kids, once we were pretty sure they were getting enough calories during the day, my husband started going in to try to comfort them at night. Both kids knew dad was not going to feed them (both were breastfed) , so they would either calm down becasue they were getting daddy cuddles or they would cry on his shoulder for a few minutes at which point we knew they were hunrgy and then I would go in. It quickly and drastically cut down on nigthime feedings as it was more about the cuddles then food. 

I'm not sure if that would work for you or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there. 
    Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • My son is 8 1/2 months and has just started sleeping through the night within the last week or so (knock on wood). I had tried letting him "cry it out" before, but he just wasn't ready for it and I always ended up going in and rocking him to calm him down and get him to go to sleep. I decided to try it again last week, I made sure to get him to calm down a little before bedtime then just leaving him in his crib to cry. It took maybe 10-15 minutes the first night, then less and less each night, and now by the time I make it to the living room from his room he has fallen asleep. As soon as we started letting him cry it out when going to bed he started sleeping through the night for the most part. He still will wake up once or twice a night, cry for a minute or two and then fall back asleep. I'm not sure if this is helpful at all or not, but I think it kind of depends on whether your baby is ready or not, some just take longer than others.

Good luck getting your little one to sleep through the night!

**TW**
    BFP #1 5/5/13  MC confirmed 5/9/13
    BFP #2  9/24/13  Ectopic pregnancy + partial right tube removal 10/18/13
    BFP #3 8/13/14 DS born 4/24/15
    BFP #4 1/13/16 DD born 9/17/16 
    BFP #5 5/16/18 EDD 1/29/19

Lilypie - Bze6

• We were in the same boat, he'd sleep a good long stretch in the beginning but in the second half of the night/early morning was every three hours or so (breastfeeding). Honestly cry it out, comforting etc didn't work until he was ready. One night a couple weeks ago he discovered sleeping on his belly and bam, only waking up once in the night around 4 or not at all. I think it just depends on when they're ready, don't beat yourself up!! I also tried shortening the feedings to get him used to having less in the night, also putting him back as soon as he's done, rather than letting him snuggle sleep on me, to show him that nighttime isn't for leisurely dining. Good luck, it'll all work out he'll get there eventually!!