August 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone else convinced your pets can tell you're pregnant?

Since I became pregnant, my little orange cat has been absolutely glued to me whenever I'm home. He's always been very cuddly, and more attached to me than he is to my husband, so we joke around that he's "my baby." But now that there is a real baby on the way, I swear he can sense the hormonal change or something because it's a real change in behavior. It's kind of cute... also kind of annoying since I can't do anything without him being all up in my face. I hope this is a sign that he and our other cat understand the pregnancy on some level, and therefore will understand what the deal is when the baby comes!

Anyone else experience something similar with pets? Or am I just a crazy cat lady?

Re: Anyone else convinced your pets can tell you're pregnant?

• Options
    I have most definitely.

My dog has grown more protective of me. It was annoying at firsr, as she though I needed protecting when my bf and I were rough housing like we do. But we put a stop to that. Still, she's been quicker to protect me and comfort me. And has been extra clingy.

My cat is always up in my face. And my bfs step mom's dog was actually calm around me. She's usually mean.

Those three especially seem to know. Probably smell a change in hormones. They can in each other, sure they can in us.
  • Options
    I think our pup can tell. I've read up about it and they should be able to smell the hormones. I don't know about with cats, but dogs are supposed to be able to hear the baby's heartbeat and should be able to tell that you are visible larger later on.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dog doesn't seem to be acting different but my cat sure is. He's a lot more cuddly and lovey. He was like that with my first, too.
    Me:  28  DH:  33
    Married:  10/04/2014
    DD1:  03/02/15
    DD2:  08/04/16
    Baby 3 Due:  11/23/18!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My dog sniffs and paws at my lower abdomen. And then he acts kinda pissed off about it. So yes, I think he senses something!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My dog totally knows. She has been extra snuggly, and has been giving me a lot of extra kisses!
  • Options
    Yep. My gsd mix became overly protective when I was pregnant with my son. But we also had an Alaskan malamute who sort of kept her in line. Now he's gone and she is crazy. I can't even pee without her sitting on my feet.
    We are going to bring in a trainer to work with her because we don't know who will watch her when I deliver. Last time her trainer lived near us and was the only person who could come in the house.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    With dd1, my dog acted like he didn't have a clue, but when she was born, he acted like he'd known her for months.

Tw: he alerted me of a pregnancy loss with my last pregnancy in the middle of the night

With this pregnancy, he reacted to the change by having accidents all over the house.
  • Options
    ShayLatriceShayLatrice member
    edited January 2016
    Most definitely!! Around the time I had implantation bleeding my cat was extra cuddly. She would jump in my lap and lay on my stomach for hours, which is abnormal for her because she usually only cuddles for 10 mins and she is done. And since BFP she continues to be all over me. Mainly my stomach area.

*** Pregnancy & Miscarriage Mentioned***
    ME: 34/DH: 33
    TTC (On & Off) Since 2008
    Diagnosed DOR August 2013 
    2009-2013 6 Clomid Rounds which resulted in 3 Cysts/Had to take some time off from TTC
    10/2014 ~ BFP (Natural Pregnancy) after 3 months Acupuncture/Miscarriage at 10 wks
    7/2015 ~ Med Protocol#1: Failed Cycle/Only 1 Egg/Unable to convert to IUI because thin uterus lining
    08/2015 ~ Med Protocol #2: Started stims 09/13
    ER 10/9 with 6 Eggs Retrieved/3 SNOWFLAKES!!

10/22/15 ~ AF Showed up, waiting for Fibroid removal.
    10/28/15 ~ Saline Ultrasound - Fibroids were gone. FET scheduled for December 3rd!
    12/08/15 ~ FET of one hatching Embaby

12/21/15 ~ 13dp5dfet Beta 755! I'M PREGNANT!!!/ 
    12/23/15 ~15dp5dfet Beta 1539!

01/05/16 ~ 1st Ultrasound - 2 little beans and 2 Heartbeats (120 & 125 bpm)

My Fur Baby: Diva Celeste McClendon

• Options
    Both my pits follow me everywhere I go they are glued to me that's how I figured I had my little miracle then took pregnancy test to confirm it was true, they even follow me when I go bathroom or shower it is a little annoying because seems like I have no space in my bubble at all so sometimes I have to kennel them up because they are trying to lay next to me when they know they can't be in bed with me I don't allow that ever since a puppy bit still manage to try to climb while I nap or sleep
  • Options
    I have two dogs, one of them I always thought of as my husband's dog...now she is always next to me. If I get up to do anything she is right there with me. She also likes to sleep with her head on my belly. My other dog isn't as protective, but she wants to cuddle a lot more lately.
  • Options
    My pit is extra cuddly too, she's always been my bfs dog and then changed favorite parents as we say out of the blue. She started laying her head in my lap or in my stomach, never leaving my side and always cuddling up next to my abdomen to sleep.
  • Options
    My pets aren't acting any different. Either their senses aren't very keen or they don't care/ don't get it...

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My cats are extra cuddly they have to be by me constantly. I think it's cute, I swear they know somethings up.

• Options
    My cat couldnt care less, but my dog became protective and even more clingy around the time I found out I was pregnant.
  • Options
    YES!

My sweet 15 year old cat has been wanting to cuddle with me all the time now! She was never a huge cuddler before.. Or it could be that I'm on the couch much more often now and she's taking advantage lol
  • Options
    My cat, that is not affectionate, began to knead my stomach before my BFP. He began to sleep on my stomach soon after. My pit is needy and wants to live indoors now as well. I believe they know!
  • Options
    Yep! My older lab follows me everywhere and will stand next to the bed and lay her head on my belly. Also, when I throw up she checks on me. She's usually really bad about jumping on people but has since stopped. She will just stand on her hind legs and gently test her paws on me. It's so funny. Our younger GSD is really dumb and ditzy so I don't think she knows.
    Animals are more intuitive than we give them credit for.
  • Options
    I am firm believer of pets knowing. Our cat King Comfort will lay by my belly and just start purring.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I think my dog knew before I did! She's been glued to me and DH & I noticed it before the positive test, but didn't put it together.
    BFP #1: EDD 8/29/11, MMC 1/14/11. BFP #2: Damien Isaac born 12/16/11. BFP #3: Rowen Cole born 7/28/14. BFP #4: EDD 9/16/16.

Anniversary

baby blog

• Options
    My dogs have been super clingy through my other 2 pregnancies and they are at it again. Add in that I'm sick on top of it and stayed home from work today. They both stayed in bed with me all day.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Absolutely they can, both my cats without a doubt. Cats actually have better hearing than dogs so for that earlier comment they would hear the heartbeat first I suppose, but my cats are all over me, more than usual, very nice, the purrs are proven to bring down blood pressure and it's just fun to cuddle the softness <3<3<3
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yessssss it's crazy. I love my dog but lately it's gotten to a point where he just will not stop following me around. Even when I go to the bathroom, he's doing this new thing where he comes in (otherwise he whines and cries if door is closed), gets behind my legs, and sticks his head out. See photo for reference. I try to push him out but nothing works LOL unless DH opens a treat bag and calls his name.
  • Options
    Absolutely! It may be a lot for some people, but we have three dogs and three cats. My two male dogs, one pit/mastiff mix and a medium size mutt, have not left my side. All six feel they have to sleep touching me. It normally ends up with a cat on my one pillow, one on my chest, the other next to my shoulder. One dog curled up next to my right side, one under my legs, and the other laying down my left side. It makes it hard to move and adjust, but it is very comforting at the same time. I love my fur babies, they are very much like my first children.
  • Options
    Yep, our dog has become my shadow. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our two dogs seemed to sense DD. They would cuddle with me constantly and our fatty of a dog stopped throwing her entire body into me and became a lot more careful around me. This time I think they are too occupied trying to keep out of reach of DD to try too hard to cuddle up next to me.
  • Options
    Awww these stories are so cute! My 2 cats are so cuddly to begin with I haven't really noticed a difference. I do worry how they will feel when my belly starts getting in the way of spooning or once LO is here and I am holding them instead of the cats all the time. Sometimes I hear H giving them pep talks about the baby and how it will just be another person for them to love and that will love them back. lol so cute!

Me - 33; DH - 33
    Dating 1/18/06
    Married 9/21/13
    BFP #1 12/15/15 - C Born 8/27/16
    BFP #2 1/10/20 - EDD 9/8/20

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Definitely. My bull mastiff/lab cross usually snuggles with DH but started snuggling in my lap and resting his head on my stomach pretty consistently since we found out. He is also way more protective of me when people come over.
  • Options
    Love this thread! I thought I was the only one :)

My 15 year old cat who never used to cuddle is now all over me whenever I'm on the couch, she climbs onto my stomach, and falls asleep purring. I'm loving it! It's also a great excuse to rest, not wanting to move her :)
  • Options
    Lol, my dog could care less unless I have food.
  • Options
    I am darn certain my two cats know. My eldest furbaby refuses to let me go to the bathroom on my own, seeming to think I need supervision to sit and pee (which I am doing more nowadays). She even waits outside the shower until I am done. Other than that? She mostly ignores me. 

My younger furbaby is clingy, rubs her head on me, and sits on me constantly. If she is not sitting on me, she is beside me. If I lay down on the couch, she lays on top of me (unless I kick her off). I love her to bits and pieces, but sometimes it is annoying that she is constantly on top of me because she is a large-ish cat and heavy. :/
  • Options
    My little pit mix can definitely tell. He will not leave me alone. I get up, he gets up. He also has been overly excited when I get home from work. There have been times where my DH has tried to get him to go outside, and my pup still follows me. He has always been cuddly but the following me like a shadow is new. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm happy to see all the responses to this thread! Glad to know I'm not just crazy.