May 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursday- New Year's Eve!

Happy last day of 2015. In a few hours, it will be the year our babies will be born! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

Let's hear those end of year rants and UOs.

cat fail animated GIF

Re: UO Thursday- New Year's Eve!

• Options
    Ok my rant!!
    Feeling super guilty cos I really don't want to go to pub tonight with friends.. Have told hubs can go without me and I really don't mind but he won't.
    So guilty but p'd off cos we decided on baby together but now it's me that feels shitty for not wanting to go and sit around people drunk or getting there for hours... Not sure any of them get it! I know I should be the 'cool' preggo but me and bump really want to stay home!
  • Options
    salbb said:

Ok my rant!!
    Feeling super guilty cos I really don't want to go to pub tonight with friends.. Have told hubs can go without me and I really don't mind but he won't.
    So guilty but p'd off cos we decided on baby together but now it's me that feels shitty for not wanting to go and sit around people drunk or getting there for hours... Not sure any of them get it! I know I should be the 'cool' preggo but me and bump really want to stay home!

You should go!! I know, bars suck sober. We go out every Sunday to watch football and it's getting old now (thank god only one week left). But maybe getting out for one night would be fun? On the other hand, pjs and the couch also sound pretty wonderful...

cat fail animated GIF

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @salbb I felt like that a lot in my first tri. Now that I feel a little better, and if I know something is important to my husband, I compromise. I tell him I'm happy to go, but he has to respect when I hit my wall. So far, so good. And I usually end up having a great time. But I am with you - a crowded bar on NYE isn't really where I want to be tonight either. Fortunately, all of our friends have kids, so there's no one to talk us into that. Either way, try to have fun. Remember next year, you'll have a 7 month old and sitters aren't easy to find on NYE. One last NYE to get out!
  • Options
    kami09kami09 member
    edited December 2015
    ^ agree. Fine on a normal night but people get excessive on NYE. I'd much rather stay at home. Buuut also true that after kids it'll get much harder to do pretty much anything
  • Options
    babyfmama said:
    another one from syntax/grammar police... when people say "I was suppose to" it's supposed. Supposed to. My old boss did this constantly in emails and it drove me nuts and I also feel like I'm seeing it more and more.
    The worst!!!! 
  • Options
    dshannah said:

More grammar police!!

It's "predominant" (adj) and "predominantly" (adv) not "predominate" and "predominately."

Predominate is a verb and an ugly one at that. "Predominately" is just made up.

Also, it's, "for all intents and purposes," not "for all intensive purposes."

And I swear one of my students (a college senior) *handed in a paper* that included the phrase "taking [something] for granite." Such a face palm moment.

Awww my DH and I had this very conversation this morning!!!
  • Options

Yes! On this note, when people say "I could care less". It's "I couldn't care less". Saying you could care less is saying that you do actually care but may be able to care a little less. It drives me nuts!
    @sarawifenowI was actually going to post this exact same thing. I'm such a brat, but I ALWAYS correct them because it bothers me so much!
  • Options
    To be honest, I could make an entire thread out of grammar mistakes that bother me.
    Same here!
  • Options
    I love how UO has turned into the venting about grammar thread instead. lol

The one that gets me is "a part" vs. "apart." I see this often on message board and FB groups. I always want to be a bit of a jerk when I see someone type "thanks for letting me apart of this group."

(I do try to cut some slack with spelling errors/words that don't even make sense. I seem to have lost the ability to type and actually proofread since my first pregnancy so I figure maybe others have the same issue.)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    Grammar-related: I hate auto correct. I'd much rather proofread things on my own and I can't get the hang of my phone changing things that I know I typed correctly. Example: Yesterday, I typed "alright." My phone switched it to "all right" and I didn't realize it until it was posted. Yes, I could check again before posting, but I'm used to checking as I type, so it becomes cumbersome to do both for a quick reply to something.
  • Options
    vinerie said:
    I haven't been to TB in a couple of weeks, mostly because I haven't turned my computer on in a couple of weeks. I generally don't look at TB on my phone (see my UO below for more on that). Anyhow, I thought I'd start bumping again with UO! 

My UO is that I hate smartphones and really cell phones in general. I like chatting and texting, but I generally hate phones. I hate when I'm with someone in person, their phone rings and they jump to answer it/look at it. I hate when I go out with friends and they put their phone on the table. I also find the email and the push notifications and texts and everything else to be overwhelming. And so then I will just forget about my phone for a couple of days. But then people get mad because I didn't reply IMMEDIATELY. 
    I do this for a clock or if it summer and I don't have a coat pocket to put it in. But I rarely actually use it when out with friends unless DH texts me since he is home with our DD when I am out.

The "glued to the phone" culture annoys me. I do use mine daily for different things but not when with people. I agree with you on that one. I used to have a friend who would say she was having a rough day and needed to get away. She'd drive the 2 hours here...then hang out on her phone the entire time she was here. Drove me crazy.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    vinerie said:
    I haven't been to TB in a couple of weeks, mostly because I haven't turned my computer on in a couple of weeks. I generally don't look at TB on my phone (see my UO below for more on that). Anyhow, I thought I'd start bumping again with UO! 

My UO is that I hate smartphones and really cell phones in general. I like chatting and texting, but I generally hate phones. I hate when I'm with someone in person, their phone rings and they jump to answer it/look at it. I hate when I go out with friends and they put their phone on the table. I also find the email and the push notifications and texts and everything else to be overwhelming. And so then I will just forget about my phone for a couple of days. But then people get mad because I didn't reply IMMEDIATELY. 
    I don't understand push notifications.  I don't have them set up for any of my apps.  If I want to know if someone liked my instagram, I'll just.....go into instagram and look.  Sometimes I'll see people's phones and they are blowing up with notifications and it stresses me out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I can't stand when people type "could of" or "should of". SERIOUSLY? It's could've/should've or could HAVE/should HAVE. It makes no sense!
    That's what I was going to say! Haha. I also hate seeing "Could you give me some advise?" Oh, and in that thread that got deleted yesterday, the butthurt OP wrote "you reap what you sew!" 
  • Options
    missnc77missnc77 member
    edited December 2015
    vinerie said:
    But then people get mad because I didn't reply IMMEDIATELY. 
    YES!! I was just talking to a girlfriend about this. She was talking about how one of her other friends hadn't text her back that day. I told her that I rarely look at my phone. I work from home and use my cell phone as an alarm. When I get up, I don't even think about turning it off silent or taking it out of the bedroom with me. I don't ever go for it unless I need to make a non-work related call. The first place I see my text usually is when I log off my work computer, go hit the couch, and grab my iPad. I feel like I constantly have to apologize to people when I finally see their text. I usually tell people that if they really want me, send me an email or facebook message. I'm staring at my computer all day long, and I instantly see those. My phone however? Nope. But for people who are glued to their phone, they just can't understand that not everyone is the same way.
  • Options
    @missnc77 You could have described me in that post. I hardly ever look at my phone. If someone has an iPhone and texts me, it shows up on my computer as an iMessage. I also get iMessage texts on my iPad, when I'm reading at night. But people who aren't apple users...well, I just see their texts when I see them! I"m so bad!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    salbb said:
    Ok my rant!! Feeling super guilty cos I really don't want to go to pub tonight with friends.. Have told hubs can go without me and I really don't mind but he won't. So guilty but p'd off cos we decided on baby together but now it's me that feels shitty for not wanting to go and sit around people drunk or getting there for hours... Not sure any of them get it! I know I should be the 'cool' preggo but me and bump really want to stay home!
    Drunk people are hilarious to watch bc they usually make fools of themselves. Also, you will feel great tomorrow (aside from normal pg pains) and they will feel terrible.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    The phone thing overall annoys me too.  I hardly ever get calls to begin with.  So if I'm out talking with someone and my phone rings I politely say excuse me and check the id and 99 percent of the time I silence it and put it back in my pocket.  Only time I answer it in a situation like that is if I'm expecting a call from a doctor or something like that or if it is someone that doesn't call me unless it's an emergency or something.  i.e. it would be really weird for my parents to call midday so if they do that then something is wrong.  Other than that I only pull it out to silence the stupid ringtone so I can get back to the conversation with the actual real person.

We were at a restaurant one day and the table beside us had four people at it.  Two parents and two children.  The ENTIRE time they were on their phone and just nibbled on their food and hardly spoke two word to each other. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    Is having and/or appreciated good grammar really an unpopular opinion? :confused: 
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

I can't remember if I said this before on this thread but... I hate when people have BabyQ's as a theme for a shower. It sounds like you're barbecuing a baby. Welcome to the world, we're going to eat you!

You know what would be fun though? A zombie themed baby Q!
  • Options
    @doozer1345, I don't like zombies either!
  • Options
    My UO today is that I really hate pet clothes...especially on cats. I don't even feel like coming up with a reason for this. I just think it looks very doofy. 
  • Options
    thismakes4thismakes4 member
    edited January 2016
    I can't stand homeless people and I hate when they ask me for money.

Eta: in the past 3 months I have been robbed by 3 different homeless people. I had my house (several times attempted robbery as well as actual robbery in SoCal), my car (in Sacramento), and my property (in Redding) all broken into and trespassed and robbed all by homeless people.

On the other hand, I've met very few sweet and helpful homeless people who don't ask for anything... And that's when I like to help them with food or money.
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Options
    Jumping on the grammar train:

(I actually looked this up awhile back, but I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed this issue. If any of y'all know and I do have it wrong, by all means feel free to throw me off.)

I can't stand it when people write/say "I had someone come up to me the other day and they did/said this". Because unless you actually told them to come up to you and do/say whatever, you didn't "have them" do it. They just did it on their own.

Just say "Someone came up to me the other day and said/did this thing." Or "I had an experience the other day where someone came up to me and said X". Or "This thing happened to me the other day where this person did X". Or something along those lines.

Then again, I'm not exactly known for using/speaking the Queen's English (and I did just start three sentences in a row with the same word in the previous paragraph), so it's entirely possible I'm making something out of nothing here.

@Kurrant I hate pet clothes too! Except for those cute little ties/collars. Mostly because my boy cat is an asshole (I mean, he's sweet, but he's also a real jerk sometimes), and it's just really funny to put one of those little dapper tie things on him. He's super cute but he gets so annoyed and it's off within ten minutes, and he glares at us the whole time and just stalks off afterward. It's like the best revenge ever.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My UO is that I cannot stand when people qualify their compliments to me lately. For example, last night I heard "you look so pretty for a pregnant person" and variations of that from several people.

Can't you just tell me that I look nice, as you would any other day? Why does it have to be "for a pregnant lady"? It's not a disease or something handicapping me from fitting into a regular standard of beauty IMO, so changing the statement makes me feel like I don't look pretty by normal standards... But as far as those "freak pregnant people" go, I'm still ok.
  • Options

My UO is that I cannot stand when people qualify their compliments to me lately. For example, last night I heard "you look so pretty for a pregnant person" and variations of that from several people.

Can't you just tell me that I look nice, as you would any other day? Why does it have to be "for a pregnant lady"? It's not a disease or something handicapping me from fitting into a regular standard of beauty IMO, so changing the statement makes me feel like I don't look pretty by normal standards... But as far as those "freak pregnant people" go, I'm still ok.

Urgggg that's the worst. Or when people think they can make comments on your size. In one day I've been told I'm big by one person and small for 4 months from another. How about just saying hi and leaving it at that?

cat fail animated GIF

• Options

It drives me crazy when people say 'Happy New Years' instead of 'Happy New Year'

Actually, this is fine. Wishing someone a "Happy New Year's" is wishing them a happy holiday (the "Eve" and the "Day" are elided so that both holidays can be referenced at once). Wishing someone a "Happy New Year" doesn't refer to the holiday at all just says that you wish them happiness in this new year.

So, this might be a usage problem (a disconnect between intent and execution) but it's not grammatically or syntactically incorrect:)