July 2015 Moms

Getting beat up from fighting sleep

So my son has always slept in bed with us. From the beginning, he just screams & screams when laid in the bassinet or crib. It also didn't help that he was very colicy & the screaming would add to his gassiness them he would scream in pain. So he ended up in our bed. I have been trying to transition him out to no avail (he won't go to sleep on his own & I only get a half hour max if I lay him down asleep). However to add to my frustration he now has started fighting sleep so much that he like tries climbing me (whether standing or laying) & he's getting big & strong enough that it is really hurting! He does this until eventually passing out. He also started pulling on my hair. How do I get him to stop beating me up to fall asleep? Or better yet, get him to fall asleep on his own? I swear he would cry all night if we tried the CIO method, he's very persistent & has a wicked temper!

Re: Getting beat up from fighting sleep

• Could this be a leap!? I know this growth spurt includes fighting sleep. It will get better mama just hang in there. Babies are learning so much during these weeks and eventually he might grow out of it and learn to fall asleep on his own as he grows! Good luck and keep us posted!
  • My girl was pretty much the same. We had to CIO because she would fight so much. When we started CIO she fought for an hour and we gave up. Next day was 58 mins, then 46 the next. She has been doing it for a while now, and most times she will fall asleep without even crying. However she is still waking up every 3-5 hours. I'm waiting for her to get better at night to start naps. Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • How does he nap? Have tried replicating his nap environment? You could try a swing next to your bed - then move him to a pack n play next to your bed, and slowly move the Pack n play out of your room when you're ready.