1st Trimester
Options

Twins

Just found out we are pregnant with twins!! Fraternal twins. I'm 8 weeks 5 days pregnant. Anyone else find out they're having twins?

Re: Twins

• Options
    Eke! It's going to be a few weeks until I know. I transferred two embryos and my hcg levels are high enough that my nurse said twins is very likely....but I have to wait to find out!!
  • Options
    Congrats!!!! I've got my fingers crossed for the same :smiley:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are 7w3d with twins!!  Tentative due date is Aug. 15.
  • Options
    I'm not pregnant with twins this time around but I have 6 year old twin girls. Only one this time :) Twins are so fun and they have a built in playmate! The beginning is tough but I wouldn't trade it! Congratulations on your news and enjoy those precious little babies!
  • Options
    Congrats on the twins! It's very exciting. Ours will be a month old in Saturday and they are the loves of our lives.

A little cautionary tale-
    Our ob said from the beginning they weren't expecting any issues or bed rest with my pregnancy, but I planned otherwise. I made sure the nursery was done by 6 months, I had my showers a month or so earlier than the norm and had my hospital bag ready at 7 months. All their clothes were washed and organized, all of their things assembled, everything was ready "just in case". Everyone thought I was going overboard but I ended up having 2 separate stays in the hospital, one for one night and another for 4 nights and was put on modified bed rest. Then my BP spiked and they had me come in, I was told I'd stay until they came. 2 days later, I was diagnosed with preeclampsia and they needed to come a month early. This meant a nicu stay and all of my time being devoted to being there with them.
    It was so nice to not have to worry about this or that needing to be completed at home. When they finally got release, we got to concentrate on them and not other, non important stuff.

So my advice to any multiples mom is to have everything done as soon as possible. Most pregnancies will be easy and you'll have time, but in the off chance you have a crazy one like me, you'll feel a lot less stressed knowing it's all completed.
    Also, find out about the nicu your hospital choice has. Some multiples come out and need to stay only a night or two as a precaution, others need to stay a couple of weeks like ours. Then there's the sad ones that need to stay for months. We were glad to know beforehand our hospital was fully equipped for any scenario. During my delivery, there were two sets of nicu nurses, one assigned to each child. This made me a lot less stressed knowing that they would be fully prepared and taken care of.

Hopefully, your pregnancy is smooth and yours won't need any time in the nicu and you get to bring your bundles straight home.
    H&h 9 months to you!
  • Options
    I have 7 year old twin boys.... twin life ROCKS....
    Message me anytime for advice, encouragement, to vent.... anything
  • Options
    Congrats!!
    image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are pregnant with twins, I'm 18 weeks . Dr isn't sure yet if they're identical or fraternal yet!

So exciting and congrats !
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I'm 23 weeks with twins! It's a great adventure. I've loved my journey so far and can't wait to meet our gorgeous girls!

A few things: make sure you research and discuss the risks of twins with your care provider. There are extra tests etc that you will need and close monitoring for gestational diabetes and preeclampsia. You also need to talk about your intentions for birth. "Natural" birth is possible but there are additional risks that you will want to discuss with your care provider. Nothing to worry about for a while, but just be aware so you can advocate for yourself.

You also should be aware that even if they have their own sacs and placentas they can still be identical (unless, of course, you have a boy and a girl ;) )

Multiples board is a great resource
    https://forums.thebump.com/categories/multiples
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Options
    Congratulations!! I'm 9w 2d with fraternal twins!!! We are so excited :)
  • Options
    Congrats ladies who are expecting twins.  Twice the joy and twice the love.  My oldest sister had 2 set of fraternal twins naturally  (runs in our family) and now they're teenagers.  
    TTC for Baby #1 for 3 years. After 2 failed IUI's & IVFs, God blessed us with our miracle :).  FET 12/17/15 (transferred 2 embryos at 5days). First Beta 12/29/15 = 354. Second Beta 12/31/15 = 694. Third Beta 1/7/16 = 6,695.  Finally heard his heartbeat (126)  on 1/14/16 @ our 1st US.  2nd US on 1/21/16, HR was 159.  The most beautiful sound ever :) 
  • Options
    I'm 10 weeks pregnant with twins. It was a huge shock for us! I'm curious how you know they are fraternal twins? Mine are di/di twins, have their own sacs and their own placentas, and we don't know if they are fraternal or identical. Once we find out the sex, if they are different sexes they are definitely fraternal. My understanding is if they're the same sex we won't know if they're fraternal or identical until they're born. But I don't think you know the sex at 8 weeks. Just something to be aware of. Congrats!
  • Options

I'm 10 weeks pregnant with twins. It was a huge shock for us! I'm curious how you know they are fraternal twins? Mine are di/di twins, have their own sacs and their own placentas, and we don't know if they are fraternal or identical. Once we find out the sex, if they are different sexes they are definitely fraternal. My understanding is if they're the same sex we won't know if they're fraternal or identical until they're born. But I don't think you know the sex at 8 weeks. Just something to be aware of. Congrats!

Your understand is correct, roughly 30% of identical twins are di/di (and 100% of fraternal twins are as well) so it could be either, there's no way of knowing before birth unless you do amnios on both or they are opposite sexes.