November 2015 Moms

how much is your LO sleeping?

2»

Re: how much is your LO sleeping?

• kmd91 said:

Okay, I have a sleep question and this seems as good a place as any to ask.

I know they say never wake a sleeping baby, and I've gone by that since he regained his birth weight. But for the past three nights he's gone to bed at 8 as usual and has slept until between 6:30 and 7:30. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about this sleeping through the night thing, but my friend was trying to scare me with this story of a friend she had having a baby hospitalized for low blood sugar because he slept all day and wasn't waking up to eat. Now, I think that's a little different than sleeping all night, but it did get me a little concerned that this may be too long without food for him. Every day he's woken up in the morning full of energy, this morning he woke up smiling and making happy baby noises. His diaper output is good, and he does seem to be eating more during the day to compensate for no middle of the night feeding. But I just want to see what you all think, is it bad for me to let him sleep that long?

I say tell your friend to shut it! There's nothing wrong with that sleep. Enjoy it! Please enjoy it for me ;)
  • Pontot31 said:

kmd91 said:

I know they say never wake a sleeping baby, and I've gone by that since he regained his birth weight. But for the past three nights he's gone to bed at 8 as usual and has slept until between 6:30 and 7:30. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about this sleeping through the night thing, but my friend was trying to scare me with this story of a friend she had having a baby hospitalized for low blood sugar because he slept all day and wasn't waking up to eat. Now, I think that's a little different than sleeping all night, but it did get me a little concerned that this may be too long without food for him. Every day he's woken up in the morning full of energy, this morning he woke up smiling and making happy baby noises. His diaper output is good, and he does seem to be eating more during the day to compensate for no middle of the night feeding. But I just want to see what you all think, is it bad for me to let him sleep that long?

I say tell your friend to shut it! There's nothing wrong with that sleep. Enjoy it! Please enjoy it for me ;)
    I completely agree. My guess is that the baby in your friends story had something else going on that the low blood sugar and not waking to eat were both symptoms of and that just waking the baby up to feed it would not of fixed anything.
    Enjoy your sleep!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Pontot31 said:

kmd91 said:

I completely agree. My guess is that the baby in your friends story had something else going on that the low blood sugar and not waking to eat were both symptoms of and that just waking the baby up to feed it would not of fixed anything.
    Enjoy your sleep!
    Okay, that's what I was thinking myself. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just crazy thinking he was fine. Thanks ladies! I'm definitely enjoying getting a good nights sleep!
  • I wish my baby would sleep 12 hours. I think the max I've gotten is 3 consecutive hours. We are still doing 3 feedings per night and LO is 2 months old now. Since I also had trouble sleeping in late pregnancy, I don't even remember what a full night of sleep feels like.
  • My lo is 6 weeks and sleeps alot, I just decided to let her sleep when she wants and eat when she wants and she is gaining weight and doing great! The every 3 hours was torture because she didn't want to be awake or eat so I just had to stop and she found her own schedule. Start a bedtime routine and gradually start earlier if you need to sleep earlier. She usually has a 5 hour stretch of sleep in the night, I let her sleep. Just watch the wet diapers so you know they are hydrated.
  • The only advice I would say is to make sure you aren't bundling him too much, too heat can keep them asleep longer. My girl slept in 5 to 6 hour stretches at night and then I found out she was too warm now she still sleeps in 4 hour stretches
  • kmd91 said:
    Okay, I have a sleep question and this seems as good a place as any to ask. I know they say never wake a sleeping baby, and I've gone by that since he regained his birth weight. But for the past three nights he's gone to bed at 8 as usual and has slept until between 6:30 and 7:30. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about this sleeping through the night thing, but my friend was trying to scare me with this story of a friend she had having a baby hospitalized for low blood sugar because he slept all day and wasn't waking up to eat. Now, I think that's a little different than sleeping all night, but it did get me a little concerned that this may be too long without food for him. Every day he's woken up in the morning full of energy, this morning he woke up smiling and making happy baby noises. His diaper output is good, and he does seem to be eating more during the day to compensate for no middle of the night feeding. But I just want to see what you all think, is it bad for me to let him sleep that long?
    I just asked our doctor a similar question at our 2 month appointment today.  Little one catnaps during the day (3 naps at 30-40 mins each).  She has a big feed right before 7-8, then sleeps to 12-1ish.  She has another big feed, then sleeps anywhere from 6-9ish.  During the day she eats a lot, has plenty of wet diapers, and has gained six pounds since birth.  Our doctor said we can let her sleep since she is doing so well, but if weight gain slows or there area less wet diapers daily we can look at an additional night time feed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @kmd91 our pedi said as long as LO is waking up during the day to eat not to worry. My son falls asleep between 8:30-9pm and wakes up around 3:30-4am for a bottle and is back down until 6:40-7am. But he eats every 2.5-3 hrs during the day.
  • Some nights she sleeps 8-2 or 3, then 4-7. But some nights it's only 11-2, then maybe 4-6 and thats it. I have no idea what changes. We don't really have a bedtime routine yet, other than putting on a sleep sack and turning the lights down low when I think she's nearing her last feed of the night (but half the time I'm wrong).

The less sleep nights are starting to really get to me, I'm a complete zombie all day and don't even have the energy to play with her, we just find places to sit and snuggle all day. Daytime naps are a measly 30 minutes, and every time I put her down during one she's up in less than 5 minutes, so I can't catch up on sleep there. She naps for a good hour if I get her settled in the carrier, but she always wakes up the second I start taking her out of it.

One thing I don't know how to fix is how alert she gets at nighttime wakeups. She's clearly fighting sleep hard, she nods off but then startles and jolts awake, then spends a good 15 minutes wide eyed and flailing, and I have to hold her to get her back down. It can take over an hour to get her fully settled into deep sleep and in the pnp.
  • My baby is 9 weeks old. He sleeps about 6-7 hours a day in 45 minute to 3 hour naps. Then he sleeps 8-9 hours at night with a feeding somewhere in the middle.
  • Well tonight Zeke decided he wasn't interested in his usual bedtime and decided to fall asleep 2 hours early. Usually we start getting ready for bed around 8 but Zeke was really fussy around 6:30 so I decided to let him have a little "snack" since he seemed to be hangry. He fell asleep on my boob. We kept waiting for him to wake back up but gave up around 8:45 and put him down in his regular clothes. He didn't wake up till almost midnight! So now we're finally actually ready for bed (and he's wide awake of course)

Lol nice to see that everything DH and I do to put LO down apparently means nothing to him. He wasn't in his sleep sack/pajamas, didn't have lavender oil on his feet, his bed wasn't warmed, and I didn't even bother turning the white noise on and he still slept 5 hours. Heck, DH and I even had the lights on and watched an episode of The Flash before we realized this kid was not waking up.

Really not sure what to make of that. I guess it's nice to see that he hasn't gotten truly dependent on our sleep routine to put him to bed (minus the boobs - those he enjoys as he transitions to wonderland)... And of course I only slept for like an hour because I woke up at the first peep he made because I was sure he was going to wake up hungry at any second since I didn't think he'd eaten enough to get him to sleep for a long time.

On an unrelated note, he managed to scoot himself backwards all the way off the snuggle nest we have in the middle of our bed and took over my side of the bed so I had to take my husband's side (good thing I chose tonight to snore and he went and slept in the guest bed!). And no worries I snapped this after he had woken up lol

• The only advice I would say is to make sure you aren't bundling him too much, too heat can keep them asleep longer. My girl slept in 5 to 6 hour stretches at night and then I found out she was too warm now she still sleeps in 4 hour stretches

How can you tell your baby is too warm? DH and I disagree on how to dress baby for sleep. I do a cotton sleeper and a fleece long sleeve sleep sack. DH wants to add a blanket and a hat, but I think that is too much.
  • My LO is 7.5 weeks and has really on in thr last week

The only advice I would say is to make sure you aren't bundling him too much, too heat can keep them asleep longer. My girl slept in 5 to 6 hour stretches at night and then I found out she was too warm now she still sleeps in 4 hour stretches

How can you tell your baby is too warm? DH and I disagree on how to dress baby for sleep. I do a cotton sleeper and a fleece long sleeve sleep sack. DH wants to add a blanket and a hat, but I think that is too much.
    That is what we do. We have added either a onsie underneath or a fleece sleeper instead of cotter thr last few days since it had been so cold here (midwest).

It would depend on how warm the room is. Our nursery tends to be a bit cold (we have to use a space heater when it's below freezing), last night the temp in the room read 64 degrees. I dress her in a cotton sleeper and a fleece halo Swaddle sack. If it's colder, I'll put a cotton hat on her as well. You definitely don't want them sweating, but it's a balance. I judge by what I'm comfortable wearing in her room, they say to dress your baby one layer warmer than your comfort level. If I'm fine in a tank or tee, I put her in a sleeper and cotton Swaddleme. If I'm a bit cool in a t shirt, I put her in a fleece sleeper and a cotton swaddleme. If I want a sweater or blanket, she gets the fleece Swaddle sack.
  • Week 7, we now reached 8-9 hours straight at night. She goes to bed at 10:30 and wakes up around 7:30, it seems surreal.
    Her naps are smaller during the day though, she does avout 3x2hours nap, one right after her 8-9hour stretch, then one around lunch, then 1 in the afternoon.
  • Some nights she sleeps 8-2 or 3, then 4-7. But some nights it's only 11-2, then maybe 4-6 and thats it. I have no idea what changes. We don't really have a bedtime routine yet, other than putting on a sleep sack and turning the lights down low when I think she's nearing her last feed of the night (but half the time I'm wrong). The less sleep nights are starting to really get to me, I'm a complete zombie all day and don't even have the energy to play with her, we just find places to sit and snuggle all day. Daytime naps are a measly 30 minutes, and every time I put her down during one she's up in less than 5 minutes, so I can't catch up on sleep there. She naps for a good hour if I get her settled in the carrier, but she always wakes up the second I start taking her out of it. One thing I don't know how to fix is how alert she gets at nighttime wakeups. She's clearly fighting sleep hard, she nods off but then startles and jolts awake, then spends a good 15 minutes wide eyed and flailing, and I have to hold her to get her back down. It can take over an hour to get her fully settled into deep sleep and in the pnp.
    This is my LO as well...we have a night time routine though and she sleeps the same..some nights from 8-2 other from 9-12 then 2-4 but usually fights sleep hard! I hope there is some relief ahead for us, hang in there you are not alone!