July 2016 Moms
Options

How are you prepping your other children for the new LO?

My daughter will be 6.5 when the baby is born, and while she is old enough to talk to her about the baby (which we do quite a bit) I am worried about when LO is actually here. She's going to go from being an only child with all of our attention to having to share myself and DH. We have already talked about sending her to a day camp for a week in late July/early August - I am afraid that I just won't have that much time to go do "fun" things with her during the first few weeks. DH has also talked about taking off days here and there after the baby is born so that he can go out and do something with DD, or he can stay with the baby and I can be with DD. The hospital I will be delivering at used to offer a sibling class, but not anymore. I'm also trying to get DD excited about changes after the baby comes, since I will be a SAHM I've told her she doesn't have to do before/after care and she gets to ride the bus to/from school. 

Please share how you are preparing your other kids, and if you know of any good books to read with kids let me know!

Re: How are you prepping your other children for the new LO?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    A friend gave me great advice for once baby arrives, but my DD is only 3.  She said when you are going to put baby down, say something like, "Ok, baby, it's big sis's turn now.  I'll come back to you later."  It's good for the older kids to hear that specific language so they know they will get a turn also. They don't always play second fiddle to the baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    This is #4 for us and my first three were 2yrs apart. We focused on all the big kid stuff they were going to be doing and how they could help us with their little brothers. The helping part worked wonders for us.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I'm a FTM so can't really offer advice, but during my OB rotation I remember them teaching us about how it can be good for siblings to receive a present from the baby, NOT mom and dad, when big brother/sister comes to visit at the hospital for the first time. Something about it setting the tone of "baby isn't stealing all the thunder" or something. Good luck with figuring it all out!
  • Options
    This is my first baby, but I'm a teacher and I've watched a lot of my students transition into being older siblings. I think the transitions that happen most gracefully are those when the older sibling is involved in some aspects/decisions regarding the baby. Kids respond incredibly well to being tasked with helping younger children (I see this everyday in my mixed age classroom), so that angle is usually a safe bet. My nieces are 4 years apart and my BIL and SIL frequently remind the 9 year old that she is a "sister not mother" and that she and her sister are part of the same team. I think that's pretty great, and encourages her to be helpful without being controlling. 

• Options
    My ds is 3 and we have showed him the ultrasound picture and told him he has a baby brother or sister in mommas belly. He replies that he has a baby in his belly too, which is cute! I ask him if he wants a baby girl or baby boy and once were farther along well probably ask him which names he likes and let him help decorate his/her room. Once baby is here I plan to let my mom babysit while we take him to do things (the park, movies, out to eat-his choice) with just him so he knows he's equally loved and has just as much of our attention.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My DS will be 2 in April, so he has no concept of what's happening. I will tell him there's a baby in my belly, but he gets offended because he thinks I'm calling HIM a baby. We are going to go the route of buying a baby doll and practicing with that. He's not very clingy and doesn't slow down to cuddle, so I don't think he'll have an issue with either me or my DH holding a baby. We'll see, though - maybe he'll get a jealous streak. I'm more worried about DS trying to help - like pushing the baby in the swing (I'll obviously buckle the straps and not leave DS unattended with a baby) or trying to pick him or her up. We're just going to practice being gentle in all situations!
  • Options
    Thank you all for commenting, I love the ideas!
  • Options
    Mine will be a few months shy of turning five. She currently has no idea we are expecting right now, and it will stay that way for awhile. Our plan is to continue her schedule as much as normal (swim and then preschool/soccer come fall). We will be Team Green and we are going to let her pick out a special blanket for a girl and boy, for when she meets him/her at the hospital. Everything else, we will just be including her as the big helper when it comes to baby's care.