1st Trimester

Am I dehydrated?

edited December 2015 in 1st Trimester
I haven't been that thirsty but I'm not drinking any water lately. I'm actually more hungry than thirsty but can't eat much today either. Been sipping on orange soda for the past few days as it's the only thing I can tolerate. When I drink water I vomit. I've been feeling dizzy and weak today on and off, and started feeling scared for the baby. Maybe I'm dizzy from hunger not dehydration...usually I get a headache when I'm dehydrated, but I don't have one now. When do you know you need to get IV at hospital? I'm 10wks along and still breastfeeding.

Re: Am I dehydrated?

• A good indicator of dehydration is the color of your pee. It should be light yellow, if it's dark it could mean you're dehydrated. However, you should really talk to your OB about this.
  • Can you do watery fruits?
    Canteloupe
    Watermelon
    grapes
    Cucumber?

That might help you with your hydration.

Does the temperature of the water matter? When I was pregnant with my son I couldn't tolerate cold water at all. Instead, I did warm water with lemon or orange slices in it. That was amazing. Tea-- diluted black tea without any sweetner might work? I did oolong or jasmine tea (approved by my OB and Midwife). Those count towards your hydration level.

Would slushy like ice work? You can add fruit to it and that can help. If you are dizzy then you need to tell your OB. They might have you go to labor and delivery for an IV drip for hydration. Better safe than sorry on that score.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, yes, I called my OB but they didn't pick up so I'm waiting for a call back. I just got so scared all of a sudden since I realized I haven't drank any water for days and have been peeing less.
  • Thanks, yes, I called my OB but they didn't pick up so I'm waiting for a call back. I just got so scared all of a sudden since I realized I haven't drank any water for days and have been peeing less.
    Then yes, you need to be seen.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• The OB told me to go in, I'll be going soon. Started crying with them on the phone, so embarrasing :(
  • The OB told me to go in, I'll be going soon. Started crying with them on the phone, so embarrasing :(

Don't be embarrassed- this is your baby and it's scary thinking something is wrong. Dehydration can have serious consequences even in non-pregnant people so it's better to be safe than sorry
  • FWIW, often times your brain can mix up the signals for thirst and  hunger so that you may feel hungry but you are actually thirsty. A good rule of thumb is to drink a glass of water when you feel hungry, and often the hunger goes away. Not saying to substitute eating for water obviously . ...but your body needs a shit ton of water especially during pregnancy...I know it can be hard to tolerate things but the sugary pop is probably not helping  you out here. I second PP post about watery fruits or maybe ice cubes to help up your water intake. 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Thank you for the support. I went in but they said they aren't equipped to do IVs, so went to a different urgent care clinic and they have a long wait. I was able to eat a little before leaving home, now sipping on my orange sanpellegrino, and a fruit smoothie, while I wait. Yea, the nurse told me I need 2 litters of water per dat, I can't even do a glass. But the good news is that I peed twice before leaving home and it was light. Maybe it's not as bad as I think.
  • Have you tired sipping from a straw? Way easier for me and I can drink a lot more just using a straw. Also plain seltzer, or seltzer with a splash of fruit juice. Lemonade saved me from weeks 5-7 when I felt the worst. Play around with different liquids, different flavoring, and temperatures to get what you need.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • indiekateindiekate member
    edited December 2015

• I couldn't stomach water from about 7 weeks until almost 19 weeks. I figured out that orange soda and chocolate milk were the only drinks I could have without getting extremely nauseas. Are there other drinks you can have? I was worried it was bad for me, but the dr just said to eat (and drink) what you can keep down and that if it became an issue we'd figure something else out. The good news is around that 19wk mark water became fine again!

As a few posters have said try to experiment with other drinks, water is best but there are lots of other options that are far better than dehydration! 

*Kate*

February 2016

• Straw is a good idea, going to try that. Started drinking orange gatorade and it's going down fine. Last night I had one liter of IV pumped into me and feel much better today. Being dehydrated made me nauseated from anything I ate or drank, so it was good to get stabilized. Now I can eat and drink fine, at least for now. Also started taking unisom and Vitamin B6. I wasn't happy that that the doctor offered to give me Zofran. It is not a safe medication during the 1st trimester. My OB even agreed it's good to avoid it.
    Omg, though, what a huge relief to feel normal again.
  • You can get some pedialyte & water it down. That or Gatorade. Eventually you will be able to get to lightly flavored water. Good luck.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Also... during that weird phase. .. Popsicles and jello worked for me ;)
  • Straw is a good idea, going to try that. Started drinking orange gatorade and it's going down fine. Last night I had one liter of IV pumped into me and feel much better today. Being dehydrated made me nauseated from anything I ate or drank, so it was good to get stabilized. Now I can eat and drink fine, at least for now. Also started taking unisom and Vitamin B6. I wasn't happy that that the doctor offered to give me Zofran. It is not a safe medication during the 1st trimester. My OB even agreed it's good to avoid it.
    Omg, though, what a huge relief to feel normal again.

Actually, taking a small dose of Zofran might be FAR better than dehydrating to the point of needing fluid recessitation. Everything has a risk to it. Even getting an IV has a small risk of getting an infection. You have to listen to your doctor and if the benefits of Zofran outweigh the risks, then I suggest that you take it. I understand that you don't want to, but you may need to if you can't keep enough fluids down.