1st Trimester

12 weeks seem late for first appointment?

This is my 3rd pregnancy and the 1st two I received care from a Naval Hospital. With my first 2 pregnancies I had my first appointment by about 8 weeks and first ultrasound about this point too (to confirm pregnancy, identify multiples and confirm the due date via measuring the baby). With this pregnancy I am being told by the "civilian" providers that they won't even see me until 10-11 weeks (this is just for a nurse appointment) and the doctor won't actually see me until after 12 weeks and may or may not even give me an ultrasound. Does this sound right?! Am I overreacting? When did you have your first appointments?

Re: 12 weeks seem late for first appointment?

• I'm pregnant for the first time - when I saw my doctor to confirm I'm pregnant she said I was 10 weeks - literally all I did was pee in a cup & she told me to take vitamins... that was over a month ago, I'm 15 weeks now and have my 2nd appointment this week (doc didn't want it any earlier...) & all she's going to do is listen with a stethoscope to the heartbeat and probably weigh me... but no mention of any other tests or ultrasounds yet.. so it sounds similar to your situation.. i also feel like we're not doing very much :S but since it's my first time i wouldn't know...
  • I am pregnant with my fourth child and have never had an ultrasound before 20 weeks except for last time because I was having a lot of cramps at 7 weeks. My first appointment is at 8 weeks and it is just a phone consultation. I am not sure when I actually get to see the doctor. I think as long as you are not high risk that is pretty much the norm.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok. I guess I just assumed MORE would be done in a for profit hospital situation than the Naval Hospital. Plus, it seems crazy to me thst you wouldn't know if it's multiples until 20 weeks!!
  • It depends on where you live and your doctor. I have been seen for all of my pregnancies by 6 weeks and had an ultrasound by then too. And this is my 4th pregnancy. I have had a minimum of 3 ultrasounds each time and a doc visit monthly.
  • I'm surprised they aren't seeing you earlier to discuss if you wanted to do the NT scan which occurs around 12-13 weeks. Maybe they aren't common where you live?

I saw the dr to confirm around 5 weeks with a pee test, then I believe I had  check up around 8 but it seemed like the whole point of it was to find out if I was going to do the NT scan which was then at that 12/13 week point- that should have been my first ultrasound (but I had a previous loss and intense cramping so I had an emergency one at like 6.5).

*Kate*

February 2016

• Every office has different protocols. Your situation does not sound abnormal. Two ultrasounds during pregnancy is typically the maximum offered by your OB due to the standard medical recommendations determined by national health organizations.
  • seems normal to me.
    i called my doctor after i got a positive test. they sent me for a urinalysis & saw me the next day. i was told i was about 6.5 weeks along, & was given a bunch of paper work. after that they didn't see me again until about 12 weeks. that's when i had my first prenatal appointment, & then my first US at a radiology clinic a few days later.
  • My first appointment is at 11w4d

Most women only get 1 U/S. But each practice is different.
  • Ok...guess it was always fun to have that first ultra sound at about 8 weeks to make it feel "real"...and put my mind at ease it was only one :)
  • 12 weeks is completely reasonable. My OB sees patients at 8 weeks, but doesn't DO anything except have you pee in a cup and make sure you don't have questions until after 12 weeks unless there is a complication, a history of complications, or you are of advanced maternal age. A routine ultrasound before 12 weeks (20 in most cases) is uncommon.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My first appointment was at 6wks and I had an ultrasound. I'm now at 13wks 3days and i've had 4 appointments all with ultrasounds. I have had a previous loss so maybe that's why.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My first pregnancy I was seen at 9 weeks since I had to do an OB history, they just asked a million questions and tried the doppler (not knowing I had a MMC). My 2nd we didn't make it to an OB but started seeing an RE. my third I saw the RE at 6 weeks and 8 weeks due to loss history, and then "graduated" to my OB who didn't see me til 12 weeks. The OB will not do an ultrasound til 20 weeks either so I haven't seen the baby since 10 weeks at the RE office. My monthly Apts at the OB have just been urine, blood pressure, weight, doppler, and questions.
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Due to an insurance problem I wasn't able to see a doctor until I was 13 almost 14 weeks along. They did an ultrasound at that time to determine age and ensure there was only one. Everything was just fine for us, despite my losing 15 pounds in those weeks since I had gotten pregnant. Good luck!
  • I think people need to be careful saying most woman have only 1 ultrasound. It may depend where you live and the practice. I live in the Boston area and most people I know have at least 2 if not 3 ultrasounds. I am low risk, this is my first pregnancy and I am 33. I think not having an ultrasound until 12 weeks is fine, but most people I know get the NT scan at that time if they don't get the genetic testing. Then everyone gets the ~20 week Fetal anatomy scan. 

I had my first ultrasound at 8 weeks to confirm pregnancy. That was the first ultrasound I have ever had, and they determined I had a couple fibroids. I've had no symptoms and my doctors said they way they are positioned they shouldn't affect my pregnancy, but due to that I will have extra ultrasounds in the 3rd trimester. 
    Then I had the 12 week NT scan, and I will have the anatomy scan at 18 weeks. 

I also have appointments every month. 

If OP is concerned, she should ask her provider. Obviously, every practice is different, but now I'm curious if there are regional differences. 

• I think people need to be careful saying most woman have only 1 ultrasound. It may depend where you live and the practice. I live in the Boston area and most people I know have at least 2 if not 3 ultrasounds. I am low risk, this is my first pregnancy and I am 33. I think not having an ultrasound until 12 weeks is fine, but most people I know get the NT scan at that time if they don't get the genetic testing. Then everyone gets the ~20 week Fetal anatomy scan. 

I had my first ultrasound at 8 weeks to confirm pregnancy. That was the first ultrasound I have ever had, and they determined I had a couple fibroids. I've had no symptoms and my doctors said they way they are positioned they shouldn't affect my pregnancy, but due to that I will have extra ultrasounds in the 3rd trimester. 

If OP is concerned, she should ask her provider. Obviously, every practice is different, but now I'm curious if there are regional differences. 
    The NT scan is elective and kind of falls into the genetic testing boat. Having 1-2 routine u/s (including at 20 weeks) is standard nationwide as the federal medical organization (I forget which) recommends no more than two u/s for a typical pregnancy.

The NT scan is elective and kind of falls into the genetic testing boat. Having 1-2 routine u/s (including at 20 weeks) is standard nationwide as the federal medical organization (I forget which) recommends no more than two u/s for a typical pregnancy.

ACOG. Also, this is what most insurance company's will pay for.
  • WinterPumpkinWinterPumpkin member
    edited January 2016
    Surprised by these answers... Had at least 4 ultrasound with my first pregnancy (in New York) and similarly with my second one (outside the US).

First to confirm the dates, second NT scan as previous posters have mentioned, third at 20 weeks and fourth a quick one at the doctor's office some time before birth....

*ETA: clarity

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• All Drs are going to be different. Mine has always told me to come in when I want (I've gone as early as 6 weeks). She is very accommodating. I also live in a smaller town though. U/s are also different. Sometimes a dating one is done early and then usually not until the 20 week fetal anatomy. Some women love to get them (either for the pics or because it gives a peace of mind). Some women choose not to get any due to some research saying they can cause problems by having too many. I personally do the minimum which is the 20 week only. If you don't feel like the place you called is doing enough- try somewhere else. All practices and Drs have their own opinions and you have the right to ask for more or refuse certain things too. Make sure you feel comfortable with who and where you choose. Everyone's pregnancy and list of wants and needs is different.
  • Just wanted to jump in to say that unless you are of AMA or high risk, most insurance companies will not pay for the NT scan, so it's not really "common" within certain age ranges.
    BabyFruit Ticker