July 2016 Moms
Options

SAHMs- need help trying to rally!

Hi all-

I haven't done an intro yet but I have a 3 yo DD and am due end of July. With DD I was still working full time and the morning sickness wasn't awful. I'd puke in the morning, and be able to deal the rest of the day.  This time- I've already lost 6 pounds and started Diclegis last week.  I suck at being a mom right now!! My kid has watched SO MUCH TV it's ridiculous.  I haven't cleaned a thing in I don't know how long and if I'm not dry heaving I'm nodding off.  My DH is awesome and is trying to pick up my slack but I need some ideas on how to get through the days!

What are you doing when you feel like garbage but still have LOs to take care of?

Re: SAHMs- need help trying to rally!

• Options
    Y0urm0mY0urm0m member
    edited December 2015
    Coffee and some upbeat music always gets me up and going

I let my kid watch a lot of tv (Normally he's in day care 3 times a week but we are on a 2 week break)

Longhairdontcare

Eta I'm a part time working mom until March when I'll be full time again.
  • Options
    Not a SAHM mom (DD is 6 and in kindergarten) but I've been home this week since my school is closed for winter break. She is old enough to know that I'm feeling sick due to the baby. DH has been a great help, in the evenings or weekends if I feel like garbage and need to live on the couch he will take her out. My insurance wouldn't cover diclegis, so I'm doing the unisom at night, which if I don't get enough sleep I feel absolutely awful. DD's routine is she usually comes into our room and climbs into bed with us. If DH has already gone to work, she will just sit in bed and play with toys or I will turn TV on in our room for her. I do feel really bad at times because I can't play with her as much, and there's some evenings I really can't even cook, so I make something simple for her just to eat. I keep telling myself my MS isn't as bad as it was when I was pregnant with DD, so that keeps me going. She knows too if we are out and I'm eating some of her fruit snacks that I've stashed away in my bag that "mommy needs a snack or I will get really sick." 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. My DS (2) also watches a lot of cartoons, but I'm being reminded to not have guilt over it! This is just a season! We won't always feel this crappy.
    As far as cleaning, HA! Unfortunately DH is pretty picky about a clean house so I can't get away as easily with the mess. I have started giving myself a short to do list in the morning and taking my sweet time Doing it. Today was laundry and dishes, and general picking up.
    I also remind myself that I'll feel crappy no matter if I'm sitting or cleaning, so I might as well get a few things done. But I think we need to give ourselves a bit of a break at this time.
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • Options
    I completely understand your pain!!!! My DD has watched a lot too, up until Christmas. She's now preoccupied with all the stuff she got so that helps. She's pretty ok with things if I explain to her what's going on. If I tell her my tummy hurts or mommy ate something that baby doesn't like she'll be ok on her own for a bit. She loves to color too, so I set her up at her table next to the couch and lay there while she draws. Good luck mama!!
  • Options
    AB34 said:
    I also remind myself that I'll feel crappy no matter if I'm sitting or cleaning, so I might as well get a few things done. But I think we need to give ourselves a bit of a break at this time.
    Both super helpful.  Thanks! I think I just need to get my a$$ in gear and maybe I will feel a bit better.  Good luck momma!
  • Options
    @anskip
     Coloring!! good call.  We have a little play area in the tv room. Maybe I'll have DH stock it with some projects. Thanks!!
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM with a 10 month old. I'll be honest. She spends a bit of time in the exersaucer with DVDs of ABCs. i nap with her if I feel too tired. I'm sure a 3 year old is much different though.
  • Options
    Not a SAHM, but a teacher so off on break. I try to remember that this too shall pass and I will be able to eventually do more than just be a bump on a log. For now, we are growing parasites that need everything from us. You are doing great.
  • Options
    I have a 2 year old and 6 year old in kinder. 6 year old know and understands why I don't feel good. 2 year old does not. She watches a lot of tv and colors. She will also go play in her room by herself. I've pretty much spent the last 13 weeks laying on my couch. I'm feeling a lot better now. DH knows how I feel in the first trimester and has been amazing with helping around the house. Don't feel guilty about DD watching too much tv. She will need to learn how to play and keep herself occupied once baby comes. Just take one day at a time!
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  It really helped.  I just feel like I suck at all the things right now. :neutral: 
  • Options
    My 18 month old and I do a lot of just hanging out. Luckily he plays independently really well. 4 o'clock is Disney movie time so I can cook dinner (or think about trying to cook). I totally nap when he naps. Our house is a disaster but I don't care.
  • Options
    Same as all of the above. I would usually try so hard to limit cartoons, but I have been really relying on them as well. Glad I have this forum to ease off the mommy guilt!

It is super cold here so it has been hard for us to get out. If it is not snowing I try to muster up all my energy to get everyone dressed and outside. The fresh air helps me feel better.

I'm gonna say give yourself a break and see how you feel in 2nd tri. That's what I'm telling myself anyway...
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favourite Holiday Movie Moment

• Options
    I'm in the same boat with my 2 year old. I've been taking the maximum dosage of diclegis but it makes you more tired I think so that has been a challenge. When I wake up, I drink 1 cup of coffee and try to get my DS out of the house for a couple of hours (we go to a preschool co-op together or to the park etc). That helps me feel less sick too, and less guilty about him watching tv later in the day. I get home around noon, try to nap when he naps and then sit on my butt for the rest of the day. My house is a mess too, my son watches a bunch of tv, and we've been eating way more take-out than I'd like to admit, but the most important thing during this phase is rest (at least that's what I tell myself
  • Options
    I have a 2yr old and an almost 4 yr old. When pregnant with DS2, my oldest watched so much tv. Occasionally I got the energy to come up with other alternatives.

-Get a big cardboard box and let him get in a color in it.

-get a basket of shoes/laundry/whatever and let him/her go to town taking things out and putting things in. This works best if the items are not toys but things that they don't typically get to play with.

-get a pair of adult shoes/boots out and let him walk around in them

-chalkboard with a little cup of water and a paintbrush

-matchbox car wash where you grab a bunch of cars, a paint brush or sponge, a dish towel and a couple of small plastic dishes with suds and a little clean water and let them "wash" the cars.

-yogurt/food coloring in an empty bathtub with a sponge brush. Then just give a bath to clean up.

-Target has a lot of surprise bags or little coloring busy bags that can make a nice treat and provide a new/different activity that will help eat up time until nap/bed.

-There are a few webpages that have kids books you can flip through and read to the kiddo and even a few where a celebrity reads the book aloud to the kid. <---this one's good when mama has lost her voice or talking makes her feel like tossing cookies.

Also try not to feel guilty, in the grand scheme of things this is just a short season in life and sometimes just making it through the day makes it worth celebrating. Even if your kid ate week old Cheerios hiding in the couch cushions while watching his/her fifth hour of Sesame Street while you moaned in a ball on the floor of the bathroom. Good luck!
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    You used tape?? And actual SCISSORS???!! overachiever.  
  • Options

You used tape?? And actual SCISSORS???!! overachiever.  

Haha yes but it only took 15 minutes and it has provided hours of entertainment.
  • Options
    @Taymiller I want to curl up in that box with a book and a pillow and never come out...
  • Options
    I have nothing fun to add to help, but I will say I know how you feel. Sometimes I don't know how I get through the days. I have allowed myself a little extra caffeine in the afternoon, although I'm not sure it does anything. I've got 2 crazies running around, so I have to do something to stop myself from faceplanting and or/puking wherever I'm standing!
    Baby#3!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Taymiller, your box is amazing!

give yourselves lots of grace - as everyone else mentioned, this too will pass <3