July 2016 Moms
Options

Long shot! Any u/s tech's in here?

Probably not, but thought I'd ask anyways!
TTC #2: 12/2012
Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
BFP #5 3/5/14
Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Long shot! Any u/s tech's in here?

• Options
    I know several personally and professionally.
  • Options
    Care to ask a question on my behalf and report back? I knew a tech but don't want to discuss this with her but I'd like another opinion. I sort of feel like I need a majority rule, ha.

I had an ultrasound two weeks ago. The tech said the baby was on schedule but the sac was two weeks behind. She said that 90% of the time the sac doesn't grow enough to catch up with the baby and the baby out grows the sac and passes away. She suggested we plan on the worst. A high risk dr reviews their scans and hands over a report summarizing and my ob simply goes by the report. The high risk dr didn't note the sac size so my ob was unaware and didn't know what to make of it.

I had an ultrasound today with a different tech. She said the baby looked good and measured on schedule. I had to ask about the sac, she actually didn't mention it. She said it was two weeks behind but it didn't really concern her. She said they see it sometimes and it could mean that the baby will pass but could also be just fine. I asked repeatedly about the size of the sac and the impact on the baby and she didn't really seem too bothered by it. The prior tech was confident and dire in how she relayed the info to us. This tech said she didn't know why the other tech would tell us there was a 90% chance of loss.

Obviously I need to wait to hear from the dr and how they view the situation and go by their treatment plan. But it's bothering me that these tech's are seemingly on totally opposite ends. I can't decide if maybe the tech today was downplaying. Maybe the other tech shouldn't have told us and given us what may be perceived as a diagnosis (I know tech's can't diagnose directly to a patient). I'm irked and annoyed. I need another opinion to help me out here. Ok, I don't need it. But it would be helpful to hear professional insight from another!

I've been in limbo since 12/1 and I'm a little over it! :-p
    BFP #5 3/5/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wait until you hear from the doctor.
  • Options
    Personally, I would trust the physician report and not take advice from a tech.
  • Options
    Having worked in Radiology for six years, I can tell you that what each tech says is solely based on their own personal experience with the scans and individuals they perform on. If one tech said that they see this a lot with loss, it is probably just something that they have seen on their career. The other tech obviously has had different experiences. If the radiologist did not make mention of the sac size, then they likely saw nothing to make note of. Every pregnancy and outcome is different. Your best option is to just wait and talk with your doctor about it. Just curious.. How far along are you?
    I can't imagine how scary this mush be for you, and the fact that it's a "wait and see" must be agonizing. I'm sorry for the stress this must be causing you.
  • Options
    There has been a back and forth on my due date, but consistency has finally ruled today that I'm 9+4 (I calculated 10+3, based on intercourse only on cd19 and EWCM that same day, so I'm guessing inoculated a few days later and the baby is either a few days behind or was a late implanter. I spotted one week before my bfp, which doesn't seem like late implanting to me).

The first tech said it happened to her and that the baby didn't make it. The second tech just said they see it sometimes.

My ob doesn't read scans and the MFM that does hasn't seen or spoken to me, so it unnerves me that someone that isn't actually overseeing me is making calls. But that's how this office works. I'll be referred to the MFM probably this week, since there's no reason not to move forward right now. I hate that the person that reviews the scans isn't the person that then speaks with me. There's too much disconnect, but it is what it is. My ob is simply a middle man passing along info so I'd rather speak with the person that is actually reading the scans.

I have other issues with the competency of my OB's office, so I lack full trust in them but don't want to change doctors until I know there's a pregnancy to treat long term. There has been too much misinformation and none of them agree on the simplest and most basic things (case in point: one dr warned something was wrong because my betas weren't doubling. Except they were over 6k and when I suggested that they weren't supposed to double anymore she disagreed. When I saw another dr in the office he said I was right, they stop doubling. I mean, come on, be competent).

I'm a terrible ob patient. I wish I was with my RE.
    BFP #5 3/5/14

• Options
    @carcrashheart I am so sorry you are going through this! Hopefully you can get in with the MFM ASAP so you can get a better idea of what is going on! Keep us updated!
  • Options
    I'm an ultrasound tech. I only do OB through the er on an emergency basis. I have never heard of a mc bc the sac was 2 weeks behind. We don't measure the sac really once we see a fetal pole. I do take note of where the sac is located in the uterus. Your tech should not be telling you any information like that, true or not. I wish you the best, stay positive!
  • Options
    Also the measurement of the sac is only accurate if they measured in 3 planes. I've seen many techs only measure in one plane. Idk if that helps, but maybe a peace of mind ❤️
  • Options
    I have no idea why a tech is telling you this information. I would be appalled. At my scan on Monday H asked the tech a question and she stated, "well, the dr will be in soon to answer any questions". I've never heard of a tech being able to say things like that and personally don't believe they should.
  • Options
    Not an u/s tech here, but I  had a similar situation early on with my scans. We had a transvaginal u/s at 7 weeks (currently 13 weeks) and the sac was measuring at 5w1d while baby was measuring right on track. The ladies in the office said nothing about it and congratulated us on a healthy pregnancy. My foolish self went home and googled all of the measurements and found all kinds of horror stories saying to prepare for the worst, but I chose to trust the medical professionals. 2 weeks later, we had a growth scan and the sac had pretty much caught up to the 9 week measurements.

Every pregnancy is different, but I thought a first hand experience may help. Thinking of you!