May 2016 Moms
Options

Olympic Lifts with barbell still?

RMLandyRMLandy member
edited December 2015 in May 2016 Moms
To the lifting and crossfitting mommas - at what point did you/will you move on from barbells for olympic lifts (mainly snatches and cleans)? My belly is big enough to impede the bar path, but I'm wondering if I'm better off to keep it light with an inefficient bar path or switch to dumb bells? Thoughts?

Re: Olympic Lifts with barbell still?

• Options
    If it impedes your belly, I would switch to Dumbbells. Sounds like you're concerned enough about it to.

My belly is still kinda small (21 weeks) so I still go light and do cleans from the hang position. No snatches since I've started second tri :disappointed: (I loveeee snatches). But absolutely no squat cleans or dropping (I almost lost my balance one time cause I didn't listen to DH :neutral: ).
  • Options
    I wouldn't keep going with an inefficient bar path but that's just me. I've moved over to dumbbells at this point. I miss lifting which is something I never thought I would! My trainer suggested I stop with barbells towards the end of the 1st trimester.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't crossfit, but do any of you have any thoughts on a seated leg press? I have been doing them weekly and now that my stomach is growing, it made me pause for a brief second. Nothing painful, but I know it has to incorporate the lower abs??
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • Options
    @tgortney I did light squat snatches today and it was suuuuper sketchy. No more of those!
  • Options
    @mcb2016 what was the reasoning for stopping with the barbell at the end of the first trimester?
  • Options
    @That1didntcount my dr advised no ab-targeted exercises (sit ups, crunches, etc) but I've continued to do other exercise that engage the core such as squats, toes to bar, other lifts, and planks. I plan to ask on Thursday how strict the "no ab" rule is but it seems impossible to me to continue exercising and not engage the core in some way. Right now, I'm continuing unless it is painful or feels really uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I'm still using the barbell, but I'm starting my snatches and cleans from the hang position. I'm 22 weeks. When the belly gets way too big, I'll switch to kettlebell and dumbells.