July 2016 Moms
Options

Confused about screening options - NOT AMA, or high risk

Hi all - I'm confused about screening options and the internet is only confusing me more. I had a miscarriage last year, otherwise healthy 30yo and husband 36. No prior pregnancies.

I got Verifi done (results pending) because my OB recommend it -- cheap ($80 for me) . I know that it's not a routine test, but figured why not... Plus it would let me know gender. Now, from perusing the internet, I thought a nuchal screen at 11-14w was pretty standard...? Can anyone confirm?

What else is "standard" (and at what point in pregnancy) at least in your experience, for someone who is not high risk? I'm sure it varies but wondered if there was any consensus or even guideline.

Thanks ladies.
09/12/14 BFP (EDD 5/15/15) 
10/06/14 US #1 showing baby at 6W1D w/ no HB (rather than 8W4D)
10/13/14 US #2 confirming miscarriage 
10/28/14   800mg oral cytotec (very good experience)  

Re: Confused about screening options - NOT AMA, or high risk

• Options
    Yes NT is pretty standard and that was the only one my dr recommended as this is my first and im 26. But it may change due to location, age, if there are previous losses. I believe there is a big thread about the first trimester screenings. I'm not able to link on my app but if you search first tri screenings or look back a few pages you may be able it find it.
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    All of them are screening tests, though, and typically are offered as an "either/or" situation.  So (in most cases) you do EITHER the free fetal DNA screen (Harmony, Materniti21, etc) OR the NT scan/bloodwork.  A positive result on any of the tests would lead to more invasive procedures for actual diagnosis (amnio).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I opted out of the earlier screenings, and I will just do the 20w anatomy ultrasound. I did the same thing when I was pregnant with DD. I'm 31, so not AMA or considered high risk for any other reason. The only thing additional I will have to do with this pregnancy (as I learned with DD) was that heart murmurs can be genetic (DH has one) so I had an echocardiogram around 27w with DD, so I know I have that coming up this time as well.
  • Options
    First tri screening (NT scan and blood test), and 18 week anatomy scan are the standards. Though, you can opt out of NT.

I am getting a fetal echo as well but that is for people with certain risk factors

Me: 33 DH: 32 SA#1 low count (6mil) SA#2- now in IUI range!(30mil) Dx:MFI
    11/1- IUI#1,12/1- IUI#2, 1/2- IUI#3 all BFFN
    IVF#1. Long Lupron.ER 3/8 10R,4M,5F. ET 3/3-one 1AB, 2 frosties 5dp5dt-BFP!! Beta 3/25-794 Beta 3/27- 1794
    First u/s 4/8 saw hb. 4/22 missed mc 8w3d. d&c 4/26
    FET #1- bcp start 6/9. ET 7/12. 2 perfect blasts.5dpt-BFP!! 
    Beta 7/24 -1,239!! Beta 7/26- 2569 Beta 7/29- 7120.  U/S 8/7 hb 118! U/S 8/14 hb 143! U/S 8/20 hb 170. Graduated!! Stick baby stick! 

• Options
    31 also, opting out of all those early tests. Did them with my 2 other kids when I was 27 & 29 not knowing I could opt out, this was the first time my doctor gave that option because it's no longer covered by insurance if you're not AMA or high risk. Kind of pissed me off when I heard they took all that blood for insurance money.
  • Options
    No NT scan here, just routine blood work until anatomy scan. My OB did recommend a new test for cystic fibrosis since we didn't have it with our first (or given the option) pretty boring for non-high risk mamas. (Not complaining though!)
  • Options
    Thanks so much all. My Verifi results were good, so I am opting out of NT screen. So many articles and blog posts are focused on high risk, I think, so I was getting confused.
    09/12/14 BFP (EDD 5/15/15) 
    10/06/14 US #1 showing baby at 6W1D w/ no HB (rather than 8W4D)
    10/13/14 US #2 confirming miscarriage 
    10/28/14   800mg oral cytotec (very good experience)  

• Options

31 also, opting out of all those early tests. Did them with my 2 other kids when I was 27 & 29 not knowing I could opt out, this was the first time my doctor gave that option because it's no longer covered by insurance if you're not AMA or high risk. Kind of pissed me off when I heard they took all that blood for insurance money.

That sucks that your insurance doesn't cover it. But it isn't true to say that it is not longer covered by any insurance if you aren't AMA/high risk. My insurance covers it and I'm neither of those things. It depends on your insurance company and is a good thing to look into it you want to do the additional screenings.
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I got a notice from my doctor that required my signature saying that I understood that my insurance company may not cover these screenings and I hold full responsibility for paying once I opt in. Apparently in 2015 they changed requirements and many companies are no longer covering it. It's good to look into if your worried about it, just thought I'd give a heads up about costs.