Baby Names
Options

Rice Cereal?

Anyone else start their babies on rice cereal yet? Long story short, my little guy needs to have a surgery at 1 year, so they monitor his weight really closely. He is eating around 30 oz per day, but his percentile is steadily dropping. So, we decided to start some rice cereal last night. He ate it fine, and it was fun to give it to him. But, I was thinking/hoping that a benefit would be that he would sleep better. Sadly, that was not the case. He slept his usual 6 hour chunk, but then after that woke up every hour until I just got us both up. I think I'll give it to him at night every night for a week before I decide whether or not to continue. 
I'm just curious if anyone else has given it a try and if so, what your experience was. The grannies were adamant that this would be the miracle that would have him sleeping through the night. 

Re: Rice Cereal?

• Options
    Oh! Thank you! The interface for this app on my phone is really difficult. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know this is BNB, but I'll answer anyway. My experience is that a child will STTN when he/she is ready. Not what you feed him/her. You didn't say how old LO is, but obviously less than a year (since that is when surgery comes). DS did not STTN until he was 14 months and 4 days old, and that was only the first time. He sporadically STTN after that. Other nights he would be up every hour. I tried all the "tricks". It didn't matter. I hear from everyone, once he reaches certain milestones (eats more, starts cereal, starts solids, grows, crawls, walks) he would STTN. Not true. It was just the way he was.
  • Options
    How old is he? Also, don't use rice cereal to try to help with sleep.

• Options
    sarahgn said:

Rice Cereal is a terrible name for a child ;)

Anyway, getting more calories in a baby to make them sleep more increase the risk of SIDS. How old is your baby?

At least it's spelled right.