TTC After a Loss

TTCAL check in 12/28

2»

Re: TTCAL check in 12/28

• Congrats @FireInWonderlad

2. I'm now in the WTO camp. AF came yesterday.

3. Going to get dressed up all pretty and go to a friends party tonight. Drink all the wine.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• 2. TWW.  This is the first one where we could try after the MC, so I guess we'll see what happens.

3. I am chilling at home with DH, having a relaxing evening with some board games and movies.  

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Loading the player...
  • @RiverSong15 it does make me feel better, yes. Thank you! I'm starting to get more excited as the day wears on, hoping it stays this way.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• @FireInWonderland YAY! FX for a baby for you in 2016!!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited January 2016
    2. TWW 4dpo. FF keeps moving my O day back and forth between CD16 and cd20. I personally think cd20 looks better. 2nd month and first real cycle after loss and I'm already very impatient.

3. DH and I traveled up north to visit his family for New Years. We stayed up to watch the ball drop on TV and everyone else got to have champagne. I always feel so left out when everyone else is drinking. Stupid IC :neutral:

ETA: For some reason before I wasn't seeing the BFP post from @FireInWonderland. Congratulations! :)
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• 2. Status (WTO, TWW, Benched, etc.): Still benched, initially for an ectopic, now because my OB is trying to correct my hypothyroidism.  This seriously feels like forever.  

3. GTKY: What are you New Year's plans? Going to a friend's party.
    @penelope4612 Good luck getting your thyroid regulated. I saw in your other post that your OB is doing something about it, even though your PCP was just "watching" it. Your OB sounds like he is following current standard of care for women who want to become pregnant, which is good. Have they tested antibodies to know if it's Hashimotos? Some doctors don't because 95% of hypothyroid cases is the US are due to Hashi's, but since it is an autoimmune disease, It may be helpful to confirm. Let me know if you have any questions about thyroid stuff. I've been dealing with it for almost a year now, so I understand the frustration that goes along with it!
    @RiverSong15 - no, no one has suggested testing antibodies.  My PCP couldn't have been more underwhelmed, even though I've been having symptoms that could've been hypothyroidism (hair loss, acne, weight gain) - although could've also been related to stopping BC?  Hard to tell.  Do you know if it matters if it's autoimmune for pregnancy reasons?  I could certainly call my OB and ask to add it to my repeat TSH in a week.
  • RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited January 2016

@penelope4612
    Good luck getting your thyroid regulated. I saw in your other post that your OB is doing something about it, even though your PCP was just "watching" it. Your OB sounds like he is following current standard of care for women who want to become pregnant, which is good. Have they tested antibodies to know if it's Hashimotos? Some doctors don't because 95% of hypothyroid cases is the US are due to Hashi's, but since it is an autoimmune disease, It may be helpful to confirm.

Let me know if you have any questions about thyroid stuff. I've been dealing with it for almost a year now, so I understand the frustration that goes along with it!

@RiverSong15 - no, no one has suggested testing antibodies.  My PCP couldn't have been more underwhelmed, even though I've been having symptoms that could've been hypothyroidism (hair loss, acne, weight gain) - although could've also been related to stopping BC?  Hard to tell.  Do you know if it matters if it's autoimmune for pregnancy reasons?  I could certainly call my OB and ask to add it to my repeat TSH in a week.

----Quote box fail----

Most doctors and scientific studies say that as long as you are being treated, it shouldn't be a problem, as the main issue is making sure you and the baby get enough thyroid hormone. Thus, standard treatment is to monitor TSH levels and treat with synthetic T4 (Levothyroxine). What were your TSH and T4 levels? Current standard of care for women who want to be (or are) pregnant is that TSH levels need to be below 2 in the first trimester. The reason your PCP probably wanted to watch it is that the normal range of TSH in the general population can be up to 4 or 5. PCPs following old guidance (or the guidance for nonpregnant people) usually won't treat until either TSH is over 10 or T4 levels are really low. That is a bad situation to be in if you get pregnant, so I'm glad your OB is going to treat it.

Since T3 is the active form of thyroid hormone (your thyroid needs to convert T4 to T3 before it can used metabolically), a full thyroid panel tests TSH, free and total T4, T3, and antibodies (TPO and TGAb). Other autoimmune issues (e.g., lupus, diabetes) are confirmed to be very tricky in pregnancy, but Hashimotos is less well studied. I did find a couple scientific research articles documenting an increased rate of MC in women with normal thyroid levels but positive anti thyroid antibodies. I can't seem to find any research to suggest what to do about it though. When I mentioned it to the midwife I saw for my MC, she said "maybe". I'm going to ask my OB when I see her at the end of the month. Even if my current approach to care doesn't change, I want this bloodwork in my record in case we end up dealing with repeat losses.

For me, I always err on the side of "too much information". I also wanted to have it in my medical record - once you have one autoimmune disease, you're at a higher risk of developing another one later in life. It doesn't affect pregnancy, but could affect my future medical care. Honestly, your treatment probably won't change for now, you'll just get a more accurate picture of your health. That may or may not matter to you if treatment doesn't change.
  • @RiverSong15 - Thanks, that makes sense.  My PCP only tested TSH and free T4 as part of a routine exam.  She didn't do any follow up testing.  My OB didn't mention doing any follow up testing, but has me scheduled for lab work in a week to recheck my TSH after being on levothyroxine for a month, so I will find out what she ordered.  My TSH was 8 something, but my free T4 was 1.1 (normal).  

• @FireInWonderland Congratulations! FX for a happy and healthy 9 months!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @penelope4612 and @RiverSong15 I have been on Levothyroxine for 5+ years for hypothyroid. As long as it is being properly monitored and your doctors know you are TTC you should be good. Both of you seem to have/getting a good handle on things.
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016

• @GoldenTMama thank you!

I'm hoping to get in for my beta levels this week - I can't really acknowledge it until I get reassurance that it isn't chemical or ectopic.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• @FireInWonderland Keep us posted! 

I will! Just waiting for the OB to call me back now, and get everything scheduled. I'm so grateful for all the support I get here from you ladies on TB!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• ***TW - BFP discussed***

An update for those who originally asked, I finally got my beta tests back and my OB says my levels are good. I'm still cautiously optimistic and I go for my u/s next Wednesday. I probably won't be around the TTCAL board as much, I will be more active in the September 16 board. I'm going to try to stay as positive as possible. Thank you all for the well wishes and positive thoughts!!!

Congrats @FireInWonderland!!! I know you were nervous. H&H 9 months!