April 2016 Moms
Options

Braxton Hicks?

I am a little nervous to post because the last time I did people got upset with me for posting without looking around first.   I have looked around and don't see what I am looking for. So I am going to ask a question because I am not feeling good.

This is my second pregnancy and I am not sure what BH feel like because I didn't have them the first time. I am having this crampy feeling it and it feels like someone is wringing out my back and stomach like a wet towel. Is that what BH feel like? It is mildly taking my breath away. I am not really sure if they are ending and starting again or if it is constant. But whenever I stop and focus it is seems like I still have it. I have been feeling this for a good hour. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Braxton Hicks?

• Options
    IME - BH are pretty much a contraction without the pain. The uterus gets really tight and hard, it's uncomfortable but not painful and only in the front. My OB told me with DD that back pain was one of the ways to tell the difference between true contractions and BH/false labor, along with them not stoping with changes in position or drinking water, so I would definitely keep an eye on yourself and talk to your OB/go to the ER if it doesn't stop soon.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for your response. It feels crampy like I am going to have an upset stomach. Is that BH? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    From what you describe in your post it sounds like what happens to me occasionally. This is my first pregnancy and I was super nervous the first time it happened, but it always turns out to be gas pains and BM. Hope this helps and that you feel better! :)
  • Options
    Yes, it sounds like gas/BM pains to me! It freaked me out the first time too, but so far it has just meant that things are "working" in there. ;) It doesn't sound like Braxton hicks; those shouldn't hurt. Try resting on your left side; if it is indeed gas/BM then that should ease the pain.
  • Options
    Im a FTM and have been getting them since 16wks. I tend to get them higher up around my belly button. They are not painful just annoying and uncomfortable for a few seconds. I havent felt any back pains with them. If you are getting BH just be on the look out for 5 or more in an hour. My doc said to go to ER if that happens. Drinking water and changing positions help. Other than that all my other pains are due to usual stuff (rlp, gas, bm, usual sorness).
  • Options
    I'm a STM, and mine actually vary from an uncomfortable tightness to pain in my lower back. I also had contractions for AGES with my first pregnancy, so I may just be getting the occasional real contraction. With DS1, I had recordable contractions at about 35 weeks.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options

STM here.

BH are when you uterus gets tight - hard to the touch, this shouldn't be painful, BUT can be uncomfortable.  BH can start as early as 6 weeks (or so I've been told), but you certainly won't feel them until well after 12 weeks when your uterus expands beyond your pelvic bone.  Since everything is connected, you can also feel these in your back (not entirely common though), but again, it should NOT be painful.

BH should not be regular (like more than 6 in an hour, time-able)

You should be able to get relief from BH by changing activity (standing to sitting, sitting to standing) or by drinking water, etc.

From what it sounds like OP, it does not sound like BH to me.  Crampy, upset stomach sounds more like gas or BM pains.