January 2016 Moms

Any Other Momma Cyclists Out There?

Hello!

I was a very avid cyclist before I got pregnant, riding around 150+ miles a week. When I found out I was pregnant, I stopped cycling and switched to spin class, which didn't last long since I couldn't reach the handlebars after a while (those are not made for pregnant women). I don't expect to keep up this mileage after the baby, but I'm chomping at the bit to get back on my bike and get these 40 pounds off. If there are any other momma cyclists out there, how long did it take you to get back on your bike?

Re: Any Other Momma Cyclists Out There?

• I'm feeling the same way!! Curious to hear how long it takes!
  • As long as you're cleared at the 6 week postpartum appointment, go for it! I didn't because I tore SUPER badly with DD and the idea of my bike seat on my sore nether-regions was not something I relished. But, I'm going to bet you'll be itching to get back on before the 6 week mark and be back on ASAP. Be ready, obviously, for less miles/slower pace than before while you build your muscles back up. But as long as your vagina is ready and your doc clears you, there's no reason you can't be back on right away at 6 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was doing endurance mountain bike races before I got pregnant with my twins. I think my first ride post partum was between 5 and 6 weeks. I switched to a road bike since it's less intense cardio and less jostling and started with probably around 7 mile rides because I wasn't able to exercise during pregnancy so got very out of shape and I lived in a canyon so was necessarily riding all hills. Listen to your care providers and your body, but I think cycling is a great way to get back into shape. :)
  • Thanks for the feedback ladies!! Best of luck to you guys getting back into it!