Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Drinking alcohol while TTC

Hi all! My husband and I are very excited to be TTC -- I am trying hard not to be anxious and overthink the process yet am wondering about drinking alcohol while TTC. I have an upcoming friends bachelorette party a week after I ovulate (where we will be trying) and I know I will be interrogated if I don't drink (I also WANT to drink as it is my best friends bachelorette and want to celebrate with her).. Wondering if drinking that weekend will be an issue if we were lucky the week before.. Will it impact the process? Such a novice question, I know, but don't want to hinder my chances of getting pregnant for drinking (but also don't want to miss out if it won't make a difference as i won't be "pregnant" yet

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Re: Drinking alcohol while TTC

• Options
    Agree with PPs here. Don't live like you're pregnant until you actually are. If you are worried you could take a test the morning of the party and go from there.

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: August 2014
    TTC #1 Since March 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2016
    SA results normal April 2016
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + TI = BFN
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN
    Uterine polyp removed July 2017
    Round 1 IVF January 2018

• Options
    sarah0985sarah0985 member
    edited December 2015
    Ultimately it's up to you. I personally know a ton of people who got pregnant and had no idea and drank and everything was alright.
    Me personally, I still drink. Otherwise I would have given up all booze last May. That's a long time to have been sober for really no reason seeing as how we haven't gotten pregnant. Would it have been the end of the world? No. But I'd have missed a lot of events because I wouldn't want to explain nor be around a bunch of drunk people while sober. I did enough of that while bar tending. At least then I was making money.

Eta. I'm not a big big drinker anymore. Usually limited to once a month and maybe 3-4 beers those times. Been drunk twice since August. But when I'm visiting my hometown, I meet people for drinks and if I was ordering water, they'd be asking why I wasn't drinking beer. I'm not interested in broadcasting to the world that we are ttc. Especially as we are on month 8, I don't want constant questions
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    I'm glad you asked, I've wondered this on and off myself. I'm not a massive drinker anyway but on the odd occasion I have wondered.

Me: 32 Him: 29 Live : London, UK
    TTC #1 since October 2015
    IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    EDD: Oct 4th 2017
    TEAM: PINK!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    So I've been giving up booze the week (or so) after ovulation each month. Not because I'm worried that it will effect my baby (if I were to get pregnant that month. There's no way you are sharing your blood system yet (as @LoveIsOwlYouNeed said)). But I'm in the mindset that I don't want to do anything that might effect implantation. I've read that caffine could effect implantation, so I've always just assumed that booze might too. Do I have scientific evidence? Nope! Do I wine it up after 7dpo if bfn? Yup! Up to you! :)
  • Options
    @mali0902 from what I've read, implantation can occur anytime between 6-12DPO with the most common day being 9DPO. So drinking after 7DPO may not really be accomplishing what you want. I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't, as it's a personal choice, and for myself I'm good with drink till its pink, but just saying that if you are concerned about implantation you might need to abstain a little longer.

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • Options
    mali0902mali0902 member
    edited December 2015
    @sldp123 Thank you! Yes, that's absolutely right. For whatever reason, I feel like I might have implanted on the 6th this month (might be because of this strange temp dip/shift that has me thinking I've witnessed the illusive implantat dip) so I think with saying drinking on the 7th, I was just thinking of this month for me. You're absolutely right though. I usually try not to drink after I ovulate juuuust in case.
  • Options
    I generally limit myself to one drink, but that's solely for charting purposes. More than one makes my temps go up, and drives me batty with over analyzing everything. But I'm in the "drink till it's pink" crowd.
  • Options
    Glad this question was asked! I'm in the drink til it's pink camp, otherwise I would've avoided drinking since mid-August. However, it's crossed my mind to slow it down because I don't know if it's affecting our chances. But I've also had friends get slizzered, then two weeks later call and say "crap! I'm knocked up' all their kids are fine!

I do try to stick to red wine during the week 2-3x. And I probably have 2-3 cocktails on the weekend.
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Drink til it's pink. I don't drink much anyway.
  • Options
    I was scared about this too! The "Drink till it's pink" seems safe all around from all of my goggle-ing. But since I'm super paranoid I've switched to wine, I drink less and red wine is good for the heart :smile: 
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Personal, Frequently Changing Gif Party>>>