July 2016 Moms
Options

have to euthanize 2 yr old gsd for aggression issues. extremely emotional

my husband and i have a 2 yr old female german shepherd. we have had her since she as 8 weeks old. we took her to puppy classes and hired a trainer to help us with her many behavioral issues but her aggression is getting worse. she has not drawn blood except while on walks during bouts of leash reactivity, but she has jumped on neighbor kid ripped his shirt, bit my aunt husband sister friend and me without being provoked for no reason. we had her checked at the vet and medically she is fine. she is unpredictable though and can no longer be trusted. my husband and i have tried to rehome her to save her life but no shelters will take her since she is a bite risk. we were also told by our one trainer and vet that she will get worse with new owners because she is so attached to us. we found out from the breeder that dad was really aggressive and they never provided us with paperwork on their dogs obviously probably because they were inbred and or improperly trained. we were naive and went along with takin her without paperwork as it never existed im sure. we were had for a few hundred dollars and now we will have to suffer the loss of our pet. a mistake as first time dog owners that we will never make again. the breeder refused to take her back. she is also fearful of children and has become fearful and unpredictable around strangers.

it is breaking my heart that she is so young and we have no safe way to save her so all we can do is put her down. i have been twice as emotional over this as i normally would due to the hormones. our vet told us she would never be the family pet we desire and euthanizing her would be the most humane. i so badly want to rehome her but dont want the guilt of her attacking and seriously mauling someone. my husband and i have decided with broken hearts that she definitely cannot be trusted around a baby as she is fearful of children and aggression is worsening biting for no reason. this will be our first child and we just cannot risk it. we love her she is our baby and we want to hold onto her but it just isnt safe anymore. my mother is terrified my blood pressure is rising too high due to the emotions of this and that it could harm the baby. it is just a nightmare, the entire situation. i know we have to do this and grieve but it just sucks. and my hormones arent helping.

:(

any advice on how to cope with this better? thanks in advance.

Re: have to euthanize 2 yr old gsd for aggression issues. extremely emotional

• Options
    Hugs. We had a aggressive dog once. We tried everything short of calling the Dog Whisperer. No judgment here.
    I do agree with contacting a rescue group though.
    Also, some times agresive dogs are really high strung and hyper, which makes great police dogs. The police/military has the ability to turn that aggression into drive and work.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    All the hugs to you! This is a very tough situation to be in but the idea of looking into the a breed rescue sounds like a great idea! I wish you all the luck in you ur journey through this!
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• Options
    I agree that you should continue to look diligently for somebody to take her in. There's a long time until the baby gets here. I don't know much about dogs, but doesn't seem like using a muzzle would be more humane than putting her down?
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this :( I can't even begin to imagine how heartbreaking this is for your family. Animals are our first babies. I would look into specific rescues for GSD in your area like a PP mentioned. Usually they are more equipped to work with breed specific aggression than your typical shelter. I'm hoping you guys end up at peace with your decision, whatever it may be.
  • Options
    I feel for you completely. I'm a serious animal lover, and I wish with all my heart you didn't have to go through this. Is there something she really likes to do, that makes her happy? Maybe spend time or a weekend doing with her what makes her happy before you say goodbye.
  • Options
    we have looked at rehoming but she is so attached to us that she will get worse. i left her with my mom once for an hour to run to the store with my sister and my mom had to feed her cheerios the entire time basically cuz mom said she was pacing looking for me. she is very insecure and attached to my husband and i. we are going to call the vet tomorrow and try to get our appt for thursday. i have to work the next three days and all its been doing lately is raining so we will try to make the most of it. she turned and bit my husband last night for no reason again, i saw it this time. the wiring in her brain is messed up somewhere. the selfish breeder took us for 300 dollars and now we have to endure the pain of eurhanizing her so that she doesnt hurt our baby or anyone else. i wish rehoming was a safe and viable option for her but shes just so unpredictable that we dont want to chance her mauling someone if it gets worse and having to sleep at night knowing she really hurt someone else. one of our trainers and our vet both said she will get worse by age 3. my birthday is tomorrow and we are celebrating at my moms today. i have been so sad that this xmas and bday for me have been nothing but sadness. the entire situation is horrible. i feel betrayed and angry at the selfish back yard breeder, i feel guilt that i have to put her down even though i tried training and everything to save her, and i feel unrelenting sadness that is intensified by my hormones. it is horrible. i hope that in a few years when i do get a new dog that it will be wonderful with kids and strangers and that i never have to end my dogs life prematurely due to poor and irresponsible breeding.
  • Options
    jkernicky said:

my baby
  • Options
    I have also had this problem. I rescued a pit bull m Petfinder. I worked in the animal care field knew that my new dog could have quite the history but in would never know the extent. I had her for four years and she was hard to maintain. She was super fear aggressive but did get along with my smaller rat terrier mix I had had for years prior. She had been abused and attacked and I had never know. Dogs can get PSTD just like humans from trauma and painful memories. If they are not well socialized during early development it can cause problems later on. Anywho, I moved thinking the country vs the city would be better but it did not. Things improved for a short while, then another bite incident or signs of agression. I was three months pregnant and facing almost homeless before I realized I did all I could. My fiance and I agreed we tried everything we could, training, separating her, socializing her etc. She had became over protective and we knew we had to put her down. I wish there was another way but unless you could find a farm somewhere where she could run free and be a guard dog things will only escalate. I am so sorry I cannot give you better advice or news. Please feel peace in knowing you loved this pet with all your heart and gave her a good home for as long as you could. Humanely euthanizing an animal is often the better alternative. Prevention is key.
    Good luck and God bless~
  • Options
    thank you. as much as it hurts to put her down its not our fault. we tried training twice a temperment test and let all kinds of ppl per her. i highly doubt i could just hand her off to anyone she would probably cry freak out and try to bite if we left her with new people. shes just so young, that is why its so hard. all i can say is i believe in karma. this lady that gave us to her knowing her dads aggression problems for 300 bucks shows what and evil and selfish person she truely is. i believe karma will bite her in due time.

thank you all for your kind comments.
  • Options
    Do not blame yourself at all. You have done everything right and sometimes this happens for no reason and its out of your control. I don't blame you for not feeling comfortable rehoming her as she does have issues and I understand your concerns. I work at a vet clinic and have seen this many times. Honestly sometimes dogs just have quirks or issues that cannot be fixed Even though it is heart breaking you may find more comfort knowing you gave her a great life and she was with you and comfortable in the end. Rehoming may be extremely stressful and you will still have to worry about the what ifs. Thinking of you as I know this is an extremely difficult situation and decision.
  • Options
    thank you ashley
  • Options
    I can only imagine how heartbroken you must feel, but it sounds like you did everything you could and have made this decision after much thought and consideration. As a dog lover, I too would love a happy ending for you and your pet, but sometimes putting a beloved pup to sleep IS the kindest thing you could do. Many of us wouldn't hesitate to put our dog friends down when they are sick and in pain, but comfort yourself by knowing that your dog would suffer if she were to be separated from you and put into new and frightening situations. As a PP said, spend your last few days together making her as happy as possible and doing fun things together.
  • Options
    **dirty lurking from S16**

@jkernicky Disclaimer: I'm going to be very pro-dog because I am a dog lover. I would definitely look into a rescue group that can work with her. I understand your fear of her being with new people but you never know how she will take to them. Perhaps call some shelters and get their input before putting her down. 
  • Options
    i did call shelters. wont take her because shes bitten. the most humane thing to protect others is to put her down.
  • Options
    jkernickyjkernicky member
    edited December 2015
    *Removed due to TOU Violation*
  • Options
    we wouldnt even be able to hand her off shed cry flip out and try to bite because she is so attached to us. she has nipped about 5 6 people without being provoked. no shelter will take her. i am not going to give her to someone only for her to bite them and then be muzzled dragged possibly amd then euthanized. as a loving dog owner i would much rather give her her peace with the two people she loves present not strangers. no rescue or shelter will take a dog that bites its a liability.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    lindsay there was a situation the breeder knew where 3 of her siblings from the litter went 2 died of cancer very young and another was tested for police work and failed miserably it was rehomed like i wanted to do and bit a child and was put down. kona has the same aggression her dad had. trainer and vet said doesnt matter what we do more training will not help her change. she will aways be unpredictable. who wants to live knowing their dog bit or mauled someone then had to be put down by people she didnt know and love?

i called idiot because im such an emotional mess and i know what i need to do i know my dog and her problems she has bitten husband twice unprovoked out of the blue in the past two weeks. you are allowed to have an opinion we all do but after i explain the situation and ppl can clearly see that she has a problem based off my post it makes me angry because she is a risk. i am doing this out of my love for her not because i want to. i would die for my dog but this is best in our particular situation.
  • Options
    BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited December 2015
    jkernicky said:

*Removed due to TOU Violation*

QFP.
  • Options
    @jkernicky yes I understand the situation is difficult but you asked for advice...so I gave some that was different than your choice. However I never called you a name or insulted you but you did me. You may be emotional but guess what we ALL are we are pregnant. My family had to give our family pet away this year and my beloved pet was put down by the shelter because we didn't have a no kill shelter. So from someone who has walked through this hardship and lost the animal and lived with the guilt and hurt I was trying to offer solutions that were slightly different the shelters due to my own experiences. But what do I know.. I'm just an idiot with assanine comments.

So I don't really need to hear an excuse of why it's okay to degrade a person by calling them a name. There is a respectful manner to disagree.
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    k whatev just let it go. i know what i need to do.
  • Options
    Why not call the rescues that people have shared and posted?! Rather than resigning to putting the dog down because to me that doesn't sound humane. Eta: it doesn't sound humane if you haven't exhausted all your options including calling the listed groups other posters shared or even attempting to rehome. Dogs can be stressed in different environments for a variety of reasons and may do better in a different home not that, that is your fault but environment can be a huge thing.

It's a good thing you edited to add the rest. Your post was insensitive and judgmental, at best. 

She asked for advice on how to COPE, not to be told she's a shitty dog owner if she doesn't call every rescue in the country to find one to dump her at (ever been to a rescue? I'd recommend visiting the place before you ship your dog off to what is most likely an animal hoarder). I'd venture a guess that the veterinarian(s) and experienced dog trainers that have obviously seen this dog are more qualified to help OP make the final decision than we are. 

The bottom line for biters, especially unpredictable ones, is that they are not safe. I'm sorry you have to do this, OP, but it sounds like you've exhausted the reasonable options trying to rehabilitate her. Don't write the entire breed off - I have a 3yo intact male that is the sweetest, kindest dog ever. 
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    i tried explaining it to you and why i got mad.

honestly i came for opinions and people can have their opinions but i dont know anyone on here personally and things can easily be misconstrued in text online because its different than talking to someone in person.

but its ok tho im already upset enough about it i really dont have anything else to explain. i explained it in detail already.
  • Options
    @erin7264 ygpm ;)
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    edited December 2015
    thank you erin. i am trying to do whats best for my dog in my situation. i love her. it breaks my heart. but who wants the guilt of her attacking someone possibly in the future and having to lay their head down at night. we spoiled our dog. we gave her a fabulous life. she was just a product of irresponsible breeding because the breeder wasnt in it for a love of the dog she was in it for a few hundred bucks and she knew the father had aggression issues. 3 of the 4 pups in konas litter that she knew of died. that alone shows that the breeder clearly did not have a clue on how to breed those pups and more than likely they were inbred. its not the dogs fault and its not mine. i was wonderful to my dog. the breeder is at fault. karma is a snitch.
  • Options
    I don't get this entire post at all.

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thebigoaktreethebigoaktree member
    edited December 2015
    my mom is looking at a gsd puppy, 1600, and I paid 1400 for my Doberman, well bred dogs aren't cheap. Can I second the notion of this being a weird post for a pregnancy board as well.

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"