December 2015 Moms

Baby poop color question (don't worry, there's no picture)

rachel10488rachel10488 member
edited December 2015 in December 2015 Moms
My son is 11 days old now and we had some struggles with breastfeeding the first week but with the help of a lactation consultant got them figured out and now my little guy just wants to feed nonstop. The consultant told us his poop should go from green to yellow in the first week which since it hadn't (and she said most likely he wasn't getting enough hind milk) she put us on a block feeding regimin to ensure he would get hind milk (I would feed only 1 side for 6 hours and then the other side for 6 hours). We did this for 2 days and his poop has still yet to be yellow but is more of a brown/orange and kind of seems like diarrhea.
Obviously I will be calling my doctors but it's a long weekend so need to wait until Monday but just wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with this and what their pediatrician said or had them do?

Re: Baby poop color question (don't worry, there's no picture)

• https://www.babycenter.com/baby-poop-photos

Use this as a guide. It's normal for their poop to be loose.
  • https://www.thebump.com/a/newborn-baby-poop

This is another one with pictures for reference but the second slide mentions an app that is supposed to be able to analyse color. That might be something to try. Either way I would check with baby's doctor as they would be able to provide the best answer.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well. Tge poop is suppose to be loose, like diarrhea. As for the poop color, I'm nit so sure about. I've heard that babies that strictly BF, have the brownish colored poop for a little longer than babies that Bottle Feed. How true that is, I don't know. Since EVERY baby is different! But I hope your LO is healthy, and doing better soon. I know how stressful it i, when you feel something isn't right with your baby! I'm sure they're okay, though. :smile:
  • Our baby's poop has never been what I would describe as yellow. It's been brown, orange, green, and maybe a little yellowish but not strictly yellow ... and our doctor and lactation consultant has told us that all of it is totally normal. And baby poop is supposed to be loose and wet like diarrhea so I wouldn't be concerned about that part. 
  • Our baby has loose stools all the time - was told it's completely normal. Ranges from
    Yellow to orange based on what I ate. Haven't seen green yet but heard that's normal too.
  • BF babies with poop that has a green/blueish tint tend to be getting more foremilk than hind milk (I have over supply issues and have battled with fore/hind milk issues three times now and basically block feed like a champ lol). The brown is ok - can range from a light, mustardy-yellow to bright muppet orange and teddybear brown. Colors that you need to call a doc immediately about - tar black stools or bloody stools. Stools should be loose/wet with little curds in them (BF babies). It's normal for BF babies to go from pretty much always having a skid mark in their diapers to suddenly going two to three days between poops. All of this info is from long discussions with my pediatrician over the span of three newborns.

As always, if you have concerns it never hurts to call the doctor or the nurse line. It's what they are there for and they are used to fielding FTM questions. I had one panicked call with #1 after a full diaper (and I mean FULL) of indigo poop - three questions in to the triage line call It dawned on me that she had eaten twelve fistfuls of blueberries. The nurse and I had a good laugh over that.
  • Bombmom3 said:

BF babies with poop that has a green/blueish tint tend to be getting more foremilk than hind milk (I have over supply issues and have battled with fore/hind milk issues three times now and basically block feed like a champ lol). The brown is ok - can range from a light, mustardy-yellow to bright muppet orange and teddybear brown. Colors that you need to call a doc immediately about - tar black stools or bloody stools. Stools should be loose/wet with little curds in them (BF babies). It's normal for BF babies to go from pretty much always having a skid mark in their diapers to suddenly going two to three days between poops. All of this info is from long discussions with my pediatrician over the span of three newborns.

As always, if you have concerns it never hurts to call the doctor or the nurse line. It's what they are there for and they are used to fielding FTM questions. I had one panicked call with #1 after a full diaper (and I mean FULL) of indigo poop - three questions in to the triage line call It dawned on me that she had eaten twelve fistfuls of blueberries. The nurse and I had a good laugh over that.

Thank you for sharing your experiences @Bombmom3! This makes me feel better since it all feels like a paranoid guessing game as a FTM. His poop is definitely staying brown/orange the past few days but it's just different than other newborn poops I've seen that are considered the normal "liquid gold".
    We stopped the block feeding but I still only feed him 1 side at a time because he can go 30-40 minutes on 1 side and I don't want to pull him off to move him to the other side and rob him of that hind milk...maybe I have a bit of an over supply too, I certainly have no issue expressing milk after he feeds
  • Thanks for all the feedback ladies! @Mizuiro007 I downloaded that app you mentioned and it's pretty cool how they did that. And so far it's saying his color is "normal" so that gives some peace of mind
  • Our LO is also 11 days old and has gotten strictly breast milk since day 1.  His stools are loose and also a brownish/orange color almost always. Never have they been green and maybe a little yellowish, but mostly the brown/orange color.