August 2016 Moms
Options

Any tips on getting through brushing your teeth? (I can't be the only one)

So, I just can't seem to figure out how to get through brushing my teeth without severe gagging or actually throwing up. My mom, MIL and aunts all told me they struggled with this too, so it must be a pretty common part or version of morning sickness, but they have no advice. I have not yet been able to identify if something in particular is triggering it, but this is definitely a post-BFP development that has gotten much worse for me starting with my 7th week. Just thinking about brushing my teeth has started to slightly trigger my gag reflex because I dread it so much now. Anyone else going through this and/or have some tips that helped you?
Married to DH 10/6/12
TTC since 5/14
Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"

Re: Any tips on getting through brushing your teeth? (I can't be the only one)

• Options
    I'm the same way. I have no advice. Just sympathy!
  • Options
    No advice, I just totally sympathize! This happened through most of my last pregnancy too, even after morning sickness passed.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Every time I brush my teeth, I end up doing it twice. Because it makes me gag and get sick the first time. I'm sorry you're all struggling with it too! It suuuucks. The weirdest thing helps me - smile. Smiling is supposed to stop the gag reflex. It's not helpful for brushing your tongue or deeper teeth, but it helps me get started.
  • Options
    Same same.
  • Options
    My teeth are okay but brushing my tongue or roof of my mouth is what kills me :neutral: totally sympathize
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If I brush my tongue right away, I'm less likely to gag too much..
  • Options
    For me it's the taste. I have to instantly rinse with really cold water.
  • Options
    I do this too....I have to spit like 10 times...the more empty my mouth the better
  • Options
    Same here, it's not fun
  • Options
    Yeah, I just do it twice, or have a few crackers as soon as I get up in the morning.  Give them time to settle the stomach and then try brushing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Brushing my teeth was awful last pregnancy but for me it was the tooth paste that really made me gag so I switched from mint to licorice or cinnamon flavor and it made brushing my teeth so much better.
  • Options
    squishy0511squishy0511 member
    edited December 2015
    I don't have this problem but I went to an inservice a while back given by a dentist about dental hygiene for patients and she said if you put a little salt under your tongue it'll stop the gag reflex. No idea if it works but.. If you try it and it works let us know!! Haha. She said it works so who knows!
  • Options
    riveridgionalriveridgional member
    edited December 2015
    @squishy0511 I am 100% trying that tomorrow morning. I also bought a baby size tooth brush as getting to my back teeth usually triggers the worst reaction, and I'm thinking it's the size of the brush causing it. Also, I'm going to try the smiling trick mentioned earlier on if I feel a gag coming on!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    Brushing my teeth doesn't bother me too much but when I brush my tongue, I gag everytime!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Try oil pulling, I love it. I do brush my teeth also, but some people sub oil pulling for brushing teeth
  • Options
    I an honestly really struggling with this! I gag so bad every time I brush my teeth, and after I brush if I have any remnants of toothpaste or toothpaste taste in my mouth I feel super queezy. It's terrible and counterproductive but if I can get through brushing my teeth, I have to eat a couple crackers afterward to get the taste out of my mouth! It's so miserable!
  • Options
    I switched over to just plain baking soda to brush my teeth with. Wet brush, dip in baking soda & brush. That is what helps me.