January 2016 Moms

Best bottles

FTM. I plan on breastfeeding but I'm going back to work after 3 months of maternity leave so I need to buy bottles. I heard Bottles are mainly baby's preference but how did you prepare? I'm completing my Amazon registry today and I'm tempted to buy bottle starter kits for tommee tippee, the first years and dr. brown because those are the ones my friends told me were good(accepted by the baby). I Already have some medela bottles. I feel like that's kinda excessive but I don't know what he will like. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Best bottles

• Maybe just pick one kind and try it. Neither of my kids have been picky about bottles. We started with the Playtex vent aire with my first but later switched to Tommee Tippee because they have less parts to wash.
  • I'm going back to work after 6 or 8 weeks (depending on delivery method) and to save time with pumping and transferring (and washing) I'm using the Kiinde system. It might be worth looking into for you as well, if the baby hates the nipples it comes with you can use a pumping adapter set to try other nipples as well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought the Kiinde System as well. If you register at Target and get one of the Welcome Bags, there is an Avvent bottle in there to try as well. We were going to start with those two and see how she does. You can always just buy 1-2 bottles to see how little one takes to them. If you know other new moms you could break up the starter kits then pass around which bottles work best for each infant. 

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Lurking..

We started out with the Avent bottles and my DD hated them. We're using Dr. Browns now and she loves them. I wouldn't stock up on bottles just because every baby and their preference is different.
  • For my son, we started with the nipples on the liquid prepared formula (BF just was not working) and he took those fine. Once he got to needing more than 2 ounces per feeding, we used a variety (Avent, Dr. Brown's, Tommee Tippee, Joovy Boob, Munchkin, Nuby). We literally used any and every bottle we got from our baby shower or registry freebies. We ended up sticking to Tommee Tippee and Joovy Boob, but dropped the Joovy bottles because of the cost. If you are interested in trying the Dr. Brown's bottles, go to the Babies R Us website and look at their coupons. They almost always have a holiday related bottle that you get for free with a $15 purchase. I've got a ton of them! Just be warned, they have a lot of pieces that can be tricky to wash.
  • STM here, and I'd start with the easiest to clean (Tommee Tippee or Avent) and if your baby doesn't like those, THEN move on to others. Lots of moms like Dr. Brown, but they have a million pieces to clean so, if you don't need them, I would use them. That being said if baby refuses the others and likes them then it is what it is :)
  • maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited December 2015
    We're doing the kiinde system and have a couple of sample bottles as back up just in case baby hates them.
  • We got a couple bottles of like three different brands. The Nuk bottles are what DD1 ended up doing best with so we stocked up on them. I wouldn't buy a bunch of one kind until you know what your LO prefers.
  • I always go for less parts to wash. TTM and my daughter & son both liked Medela, and playtex vent air. I really like MAM as well.
  • For DD#1 I EPed so our pediatrician recommended either Dr Browns or Playtex Ventaire and purely based on cost we went with the Playtex. We had no issues with them and DD liked them. We are using the same ones with DD#2.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • I'm glad you asked this question, it's yet another of those little things I've been stressing over needlessly!

I've bought a couple starter packs (Avent and Dr Browns) and I'm planning on getting a set of Medela since I have their pump. I also have a couple individual bottles from free sample kits. I figure it will probably be enough to keep us going a while, and if baby is picky then we have a good selection to find what he likes. All the sets have been on offer so I'm not worried about having spent too much on them. 
  • Love how easy Tommee tippee is to clean! I would skip the big starter kits and just get a 2/3 pack of a couple because you can't return a big set if you have opened it. 
  • I would say don't buy a ton of anything yet. Both my SIL and sister breastfeed and used playtex. Also my sister babysat and the mom would bring tommee tippee bottles, but the baby hated it he was only BF at home. She went out and bought a playtex bottle, the baby loved it and she told the parents. Many babies will use anything, some are difficult. So just buy a few and see how it goes.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Thanks everyone. I ended up buying the tommee tippee starter kit and I'll go from there. :)
  • STM. I don't recommend the bottle kits. They are expensive and come with lots of unnecessary parts you probably won't ever use. Especially if you breastfeed to a year or more, baby won't ever need the larger bottle size and should stay with slow flow nipples throughout the duration of breastfeeding. One of the best pieces of advice I got was to just get single or small packs of multiple kinds of bottles, that way you can return/exchange what you don't end up liking. I was lucky that my daughter took any bottle, but I know that's not the case for all. We did, however, have preferences. Dr. Brown's wide neck and Comotomo were our favorites. Tommee Tippee were good later on, but too fast initially and caused baby to gag. Kiinde nipples are also pretty fast, but the Kiinde system is super convenient and saves a lot of time washing bottles once baby can handle the nipple. It's great for pumping at work because it saves a TON of bottle washing time. I wasn't a fan of Avent bottles.

As an aside, you might want to watch a YouTube video on paced bottle feeding. Wish I had heard about this sooner! But so glad I eventually figured it out. Saved me a lot of heartache over not pumping enough.

Hope this helps! It really boils down to your and baby's preference, so a variety is good. Amazon 2-day shipping is a God-send whenever you figure out what you like best. :)

• We did dr. Browns with dd#1 and chose tommee tipee this time because way less parts. I read good things about both!
  • I've read the Joovy bottles are similar for the baby in comparison to breast feeding, so that's what we went with. We have about 6 of them. And I have a couple other brands to trial as well. :)
  • Like others have recommended, start with the bottles that have the least amount of pieces. I start with the medela and also use the avent. They have always worked great for my LO

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker