September 2015 Moms
Options

Migraines, Imitrex, and breastfeeding

I have a history of migraines since my teen years. Most likely hormonal, especially considering they have disappeared in both pregnancies. This time I was at the neurologist when LO was 1 week old because they immediately returned with a vengeance.
Anyway my neuro is a colleague of my husband's and also a nursing mother with two kids my girls' ages. I can't take Zomig while breastfeeding but I can take Imitrex as long as it's severe enough. The Imitrex side effects are SO BAD! Does anyone else take it? I get weak in the arms and legs, fuzzy brain, sore throat, and really weird, super intensely painful letdown when I'm nursing. Also a weird heightened sense of touch, like washing my hands with warm water hurts.
I try to hold off taking it until after a nursing session but there have been times when maybe LO eats more frequently. I worry that even though it's my safe med for breastfeeding that she gets some of those side effects too.
Last night my headache actually woke me from sleep, and was more intense than ever before. And it was opposite sided than the usual. And I was throwing up, which is not my usual MO. My blood pressure was 160/110 (I'm a nurse, of course I own a BP cuff haha!). It was so scary. I was so close to going to the ER. Thank god for my husband.
Anyone who is breastfeeding do anything differently for migraines? I also do peppermint oil.

Re: Migraines, Imitrex, and breastfeeding

• Options
    I have been suffering without imitrex, I thought I couldn't take it while nursing! It does make me feel funny, my husband calls it 'zonking' because it makes me so loopy. But it helps! I've been using caffeine/Advil. Have you tried the feet in ice/ heat pack on neck trick? I've never tried it but saw it on Facebook recently.
  • Options
    I've never tried the hot and cold thing, I'll have to look it up.
    I should have mentioned or clarified that I trust the neurologist with the Imitrex okay *because* she's a nursing mom. She did spout out medical info and half lives, etc.
    Still makes me nervous to take it but I have to look at risk/benefit because I'm not functional with the pain, whereas the "fog" only makes me funny.