2nd Trimester
Options

Weight loss and pregnancy

Before I got pregnant I lost 132 pounds and was the lowest weight I had been in a very long time. Well now that I'm pregnant everyone in my family is on my case about still watching what I am eating and how they don't want to see me go back to where I was before I lost weight. I understand their concern but it is getting so annoying and making me uncomfortable. I feel scrutinized anytime I eat something. I'm doing my best to be healthy but I'm pregnant so sometimes I crave something not so healthy. Anyone in a similar situation? I just needed to vent!

Re: Weight loss and pregnancy

• Options
    Before I got pregnant I lost 132 pounds and was the lowest weight I had been in a very long time. Well now that I'm pregnant everyone in my family is on my case about still watching what I am eating and how they don't want to see me go back to where I was before I lost weight. I understand their concern but it is getting so annoying and making me uncomfortable. I feel scrutinized anytime I eat something. I'm doing my best to be healthy but I'm pregnant so sometimes I crave something not so healthy. Anyone in a similar situation? I just needed to vent!
    Congratulations on your previous weight loss! That is wonderful! I am overweight myself, but I wouldn't consider it a drastic amount.
    I personally would look at your family's pressure as that of love and concern. They clearly have seen you struggle, and overcome, and likely see how happy and proud of yourself you are.
    In this day, it's easy to see the pounds creep back up that you've lost.
    Though I believe they're being supportive, I would just sit down and have a heart to heart and let them know that the scrutiny isn't helping.  Acknowledge your accomplishment, but also let them know if you slip now and then it's merely pregnancy cravings and it doesn't mean you intend to "fall off the wagon".  Reiterate that the best way for them to support you is to allow you to enjoy pregnancy, and trust that you are taking care of yourself, rather than harp about the issue.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and on your pregnancy! I'm sorry your family is breathing down your throat so much. I'm overweight and I haven't been the best about eating healthy with this baby. In general, overweight women tend to gain less during pregnancy than healthy women do.

If your family says anything just remind them that you are taking care of yourself and your baby. You obviously don't want to gain that weight back either! This is why you have a doctor or a midwife. They will tell you if you are doing things correctly or if you need to make some adjustments!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    also remind them that you WILL gain some weight this pregnancy.  Be realistic, people!!  and remind them that your doctor is happy with your progress.  Congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    I can completely sympathize. With my first son I gained 65 pounds and was overweight to begin with. It took 3 years postpartum but I lost all of that and then an additional 35. I felt and looked great. My whole life changed and became about healthy food and exercise. It was wonderful. Then my husband was diagnosed with cancer and I started to slip. Then I got pregnant and gained several pounds (because I wanted carbs all the time, and no protein or veg) and then I miscarried and gained more. Then I repeated that whole process 6 months later with another pregnancy and loss. Now, at 26 weeks I'm up about 30 pounds on top of the gain from the cancer slip and two pregnancies and losses.

There are days when I'm hard on myself and days when I can see in my husbands eyes that he's worried. He used to say stuff in the beginning but keeps his opinions to himself now. Thing is...I've lost it before and I'll lose it again.

You *will* gain weight. You are making a person. But that's ok. Clearly you are a warrior and know how how to put your health first. You did before, you will again. Do what feels right now and deal with the consequences later.

Obviously eating healthy is best for you and baby, but that isn't always possible when we are pregnant. Be kind to yourself and gently remind your loved ones (who are just concerned, I promise) that you have this under control and don't need any advice.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thank you for all of the support and encouraging words! I'm very critical of myself and sometimes feel guilt for the things I have indulged in and it makes it worse when other people comment on it. But I'm only human and I'm making a human!
  • Options
    Hugs and congrats on your journey.

I lost a bunch of wright after #1 and gained it all back with #2. I have not lost it prior to this pregnancy. We are talking about 65#s.
    So I can kinda get it.

Just tell your family 'thank you for your concern. However, I am following my Dr's medical advice at this time. '.
    Use that as your standard response.
    Or if that doesn't work 'why are you so focused on the weight scale and not on me having a healthy pregnancy? '
  • Options
    I am in a similar position in that I lost 115 pounds before getting pregnant; however, I'VE been the overly critical one while my family has been trying to calm me down about gaining weight. I gained 15 pounds in my first 20 weeks. My midwife says I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be and that they expect me to gain 30-35 pounds this pregnancy, but I'm freaking out because, over Christmas, I could swear I've gained like another 10 pounds.

I'm not much help, honestly...I'm tracking my food still on MyFitnessPal, and that's all I can do. But my midwife says 20-28 weeks is when I will experience the MOST weight gain...so, that's fun.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    First of congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome!

Second congrats on your pregnancy! I hope you have a wonderful happy healthy pregnancy!

As for the family stuff, as much as they mean well, I know it's hurtful and annoying. I would try to explain that to them and help them see your side of things.
  • Options
    I have the opposite problem, I lost wieght with my first delivered her at my previous wieght, then after stopped breastfeeding I gain 35 lbs. Now expecting again, I am 16 weeks and have lost 25 lbs. Every one on me to eat more but I am eating just not gaining anything.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure anyone commenting on my weight or eating while I'm pregnant is likely to get a throat punch. With the exception of MAYBE my husband or my doctor and only if they were doing it out of serious concern for my health or the baby's health because I was totally out of control. If you're generally staying healthy with a few splurges, I think I'd have to tell them to mind their own damn business.
  • Options
    I'm going to disagree with you @SarahFoley725 it's not that overweight women don't gain as much it's that they should not gain as much because of their size and need to be more aware of their food intake and making sure they are getting exercise.

I feel for you OP I'm overweight and had lost a lot of weight before as well and my husband also is "on my case" but I try to see it as helpful to often pregnant women think they can eat whatever they want because "they are eating for two" or "have cravings" he helps me make sure I am eating good things for me and baby while it can be annoying use it as postive motivation that it will help you have less to lose after the pregnancy :)
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I sort of understand how you feel; I have never been overweight but every time I eat something semi-unhealthy (or even mention the craving of something unhealthy), my best friend gives me crap. She gained a lot during her pregnancy and I think she just doesn't want it to happen to me but it's still frustrating. I'm 12 weeks and so far, I've lost a couple of pounds this pregnancy.
    If anyone starts trying to lecture you, just let them know that you're still monitoring your weight and your doctor is doing the same. You don't have to eat healthy 100% of the time. As long as you eat the "bad stuff" in moderation, and exercise, you'll be fine, and they need to chill out.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Your weight is none of their business. I would acknowledge their concerns, assure them that you are capable of handing your body and inform them that the discussion is officially closed. Women are under enough goddamn pressure without feeling like they're being scrutinized while pregnant. You are the one who lost 132 lbs (way to go, by the way - that's amazing) and I think you're probably best positioned to know what works for your body and what doesn't. This is such a special time in your life - enjoy it - and allow yourself some flexibility. :) Good luck!!
  • Options

Turn the tables. Criticize or remark upon anything they eat. They'll get the message really quick. Food policing is really annoying.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers