May 2016 Moms
Options

second trimester headaches

Hello all,

I am exactly 17 weeks today. For about two weeks already I have been experiencing really bad headaches from hell. Prior to being pregnant I used to suffer from tension headaches and that's what these headaches remind me of. I have been trying not to take any Tylenol or caffeine but I feel like my hands are tied. Cold and hot compresses seem to work, but only when I am home. It is hard to do that at work. Anyone out there try anything natural that has helped them? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, I do not have high BP and all my blood work came back fine for anything else. 

Thanks!

Re: second trimester headaches

• Options
    I am 21 weeks now, but I had really bad headaches around the same time you are describing. Honestly, the only thing that helped me was drinking a can of Pepsi. That and having my H rub my head and then sleeping it off were the only things that even cut it. I know it isn't particularly helpful. For me, the headaches went away at about 18 weeks, so hopefully they aren't too much longer for you!
  • Options
    I've also had more headaches than pre-pregnancy. Most of the time it's due to hydration, even when I think I've been drinking enough. After that taking a nap usually helps. Would probably be a good thing to mention to your doc.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    babykasperbabykasper member
    edited December 2015
    Organic raw apple cider vinegar! It's disgusting but it works! I use Braggs brand... About an ounce first thing in the morning (medicine cup works) take it like a shot. Tons of health benefits, including gets rid of my headaches!

And make sure you're drinking enough water!
  • Options
    sarawifenow hopefully i only have to deal with this for only a few more weeks!! I caved and had soda today too and felt much much better. thanks!!

Lusitano8babykasper thank you ladies. I shoot for a gallon of water a day, and have been successful with keeping that up. i thought it was that too but not sure if i should be drinking more? my doc has told me I can do caffeine with tylenol together. my aunt told me today that raw potato slices on my temples should help too! and that ACV seems to be the cure all!! literally it is good for everything. thank you for sharing that!!!
  • Options
    I'm sure it's different for everyone, but my midwife says the headaches are from not drinking enough water. I doubled my water intake and I've been feeling a lot better
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem and typically the only thing that kind of works for me is to have a little caffeine. I chugged a few bottles of water, hoping it would help and went too bed and woke up with a migraine. Had a small cup of coffee and a Tylenol and was good for the day
  • Options
    If you think it's tension headaches, head/neck massage helps a lot! Find someone to do this to you - it's the closest thing I could find to my normal tension headache routine that has helped clients a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNBXpKAYZcw
  • Options
    I've been getting awful headaches this entire pregnancy that I'm sure are caused by my neck/back pain. I can have DH rub my neck as well as take Tylenol and drink a little caffeine and that seems to help a little. If I don't do anything they tend to turn into migraines.
  • Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited December 2015
    I second the suggestions to try massage (neck/back/jaw) and increasing your water intake. Like @Jessicab0627 said, a little tylenol and caffeine together will often help too (it's basically Excedrin). Sometimes, pregnancy headaches can be a result of low blood sugar too, so having something like juice to raise it and a protein snack to keep your levels a bit more even helps as well. My headaches and migraines were definitely at their worst between 16-18 weeks, then became less intense and more infrequent.

ETA: My doctor said to drink at least half my weight in oz of water each day, more if I'm active. (Ex: if you weigh 160, you'd drink 80oz of water and add a glass or so for extra activity beyond sitting.) Since I'm on my feet a lot at work and at home, I usually feel good if I drink my .75 my weight in oz.
  • Options
    You can of course double check with your doctor but I think you would be fine to have Tylenol or some caffeine. I have about a cup of coffee per day.
  • Options
    Tylenol is safe to take and caffeine is also but the caffeine in moderate amounts.  i.e. think one to two cups of coffee a day.   I get headaches if I don't drink enough water.  Lately I have been drinking about 3L of water a day at least. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    What's wrong with a little Tylenol and caffeine? It's not quite as effective as the stronger headache meds I took pre pregnancy, but it's better than suffering.