March 2015 Moms

Sleep training and rolling/crawling

We are planning to sleep train after the new year. I have always nursed lo to sleep and he didn't do too bad but the last month or so I'm lucky if he goes 2h with out getting up and half the time he won't nurse he just wants me to hold him and he falls back asleep. I'm just getting exhausted.. I think we are going to do a cio type training letting him fus for 5, 10, 15. My worry is when he is awake in the crib he likes to roll over and scoots backwards and either sits up or gets stuck (he can't crawl forwards yet) when he does this do I immediately go get him as lay back down or keep waiting till times up to go in and let him try to get out himself? Anyone else have this while sleep training? Looking for some advice.

Re: Sleep training and rolling/crawling

• Hi, 

I post very rarely but thought I'd respond. If you are concerned that he is at risk of being stuck, I would say go in, move him and comfort him. Do you have a video baby monitor? Maybe that will help you know when you need to go in. If he's only sitting up, I would say leave him there until the time comes, then lay him back down, say whatever you usually say when you put him down and leave the room again. 

We did CIO when my son was about 4.5 months.. it is hard and painful to listen to, but it was so worth it. I had to have my husband go in during the 5, 10, 15 intervals to make it easier on all of us. Best of luck to you!
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• edited December 2015
    We ran into a similar issue when we did sleeping training a month and a half ago. In desperation we also did a CIO type deal. The biggest problem for us was that she would roll over, sit up, then get stuck and not know how to lay back down even if she decided to sleep. As painful as it was, we had to let her fall asleep sitting up, then we stuck in her room and laid her down. If we went in before she was asleep she would wake back up fully (angry) and the process would start all over again. After a week or so she eventually learned how to lay herself down. Babies are smart, you just need to give them the opportunity to learn themselves. Maybe you can practice with him during the day?

I was completed against CIO and thought it was flat out cruel. But my girl would not sleep without me so I gave in after many veteran moms reassured me it was the right thing to do and honestly, it was. It was the hardest three days of my life and I probably cried just as much (or more) than she did, but she now sleeps 12 hours a night in her own crib and I am a much happier mommy :smile:

Good luck! It is going to be rough but what helped us was to discuss the game plan and agree to stick to it before the night came so we wouldn't make any rash decisions in moments of weakness.