2nd Trimester

getting full faster?

I know they say you should eat small meals to prevent nausea, heartburn, etc. but I never really listened and that's probably why I've gained 14.5 pounds as of today, at 16 weeks. :( Anyway, I have noticed however that the last couple of days, I don't really have the desire to eat QUITE as much anymore; I think I might be getting fuller faster now that there's real stuff (not just fat) taking up room in my abdomen. Is this just hopeful thinking, or will I naturally want to eat smaller meals the bigger my belly gets, because there's less room in there?

Re: getting full faster?

• In my experience, as baby get bigger and starts taking up more space, it is hard to eat a lot at one time. Smaller, more frequent meals for the win!!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Some days, there is no amount of food that satisfies me. I could literally eat all day. But then other days, a salad makes me feel like I am going to burst.

I try to just eat what I need to/what my body can support.
  • Loading the player...
  • I sure hope my appetite begins to get smaller. I'm 19 weeks and I still feel like a bottomless pit!
  • yeah, the same happened to me. at about 20 weeks i started struggling with eating. i can only eat small amounts now that baby is getting bigger. i try to eat small meals more frequently throughout the day instead of 3 big meals.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm 16 weeks, on the nose.  I can hardly eat dinner and then I wake up starving at 3am.
  • I'm 19 weeks, and I can no longer eat large meals -- I mostly don't eat meals -- I eat something every hour or two. My appetite is still there, but I get uncomfortable if I eat meals.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Same here - I'm only 13 weeks, 5 days, but I feel really full when done with dinner, like I can't possibly eat any more, but then I wake up in the middle of the night and feel like I'm starving.
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • Same but I'm hungry and can have a huge breakfast and lunch is generally a smaller serving but by dinner I can have a glass of water and be full. Esp any time after 5 for some reason.
  • I have to stop eating before I feel full or I will get sick. I only got about 2 weeks of bottomless pit between food adversions and not being able to eat. I prefer to graze anyways so that's what I have been focusing on (I have a hard time knowing when I'm full-I have a history of bulimia but have been in recovery for years). I try to ensure I have something with protein a few times a day since I'm not eating regular meals-and that has helped me a lot.
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • I think there really is less room in there so there's a natural need to eat less. 
  • I go through spurts. I'll sit down to eat and be starving and half way through my meal have to stop. And then an hour later I'll be starving again. It's insane. And totally normal. :) I'm still wearing my Fitbit and am working with my OB on how much to eat. I seem to fluctuate up and down between 3-4 pounds on any given day. 

Just because you've gained a lot of weight doesn't mean you will continue to do so. Try asking your OB about a nutritionist to keep you on track, and start logging what you eat. It may help. GL!
  • I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. I sometimes get really hungry, but noticed that I can't eat as much in one sitting as I used to. Not that that's a bad thing :smile:. But its interesting just to go through all of these changes.
    BabyFruit Ticker