October 2015 Moms
Options

Sad Working Mommy

So I started my new job yesterday and it honestly breaks my heart every time I leave my baby girl with my mother in law. I know she takes care of her wonderfully but I become so sad and filled with tears on my way to work. I'm afraid my baby will forget my face and not recognize me. I feel like such a baby but it honestly makes me so depressed. Any mommys out there who feel the same?:(

Re: Sad Working Mommy

• Options
    I know I'm going to feel the same in a few weeks but I just keep trying to remind myself that even though my mom worked 12 hr shifts the whole time i was growing up I was still crazy for the time I got with her. Nobody replaces mommy!
  • Options
    I'm sad about returning to work in a couple weeks and know all be a soppy mess. :( this is making me consider starting my own home daycare business but I'm looking at the rules and it's going to take a while to figure out how to start it up. In the mean time I'm going to work on paying off debt so I can quit my job and be with my little guy. I can't stand the thought of leaving him, maybe I'll change my mind once I actually start work and things settle down, but right now I'm obsessed with thinking about quitting.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    YEP. 100%. I don't think it matters how "well taken care of" she is! My mother in law is fabulous, but STILL! It's not me and it breaks my heart. I needed to go back to work because I carry our family health benefits. I know its an irrational fear also, but I'm convinced my baby girl will forget me and bond with my MIL instead! My mom keeps reminding me its mainly about smell with these tiny babies and they never forget the smell of their mama. Its what gets me through the day. Good luck, mama. Hope you all get into a routine soon!
  • Options
    I also leave my daughter with my MIL who is so great and kind and loving! I miss her a lot during the day and worry that she will be more attached to her than me :(
    But, I've been back for two weeks now, and have not had that problem! My baby knows who her mamma is. She did have one night where she seemed to forget how to latch on and nurse. She is getting used to the ease and quickness of a bottle, but we are doing ok and I'm still able to breastfeed and pump at work.
  • Options
    It's hard going back to work, but your baby will absolutely not forget you. With DS1, when he started reaching for his daycare provider and smiling I felt at ease leaving him because he was happy. Even though he loved her, he was so happy to see me at pickup. Those smiles never get old. You will always win, you're their mama!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I cry almost daily thinking about this for when I return to work in a few weeks. My LO and I are obsessed with one another! She is my everything! And not to toot my own horn but I know for a fact I'm her everything- which is making it so much harder! She cannot even tolerate spending alone time with her own father. She is hysterical most of the time and he's neve gone more than 1.5 hours alone with her. I'm so worried about her and the fact that when I go back to work she will be spending two full days a week with dad, possibly one day a week with MIL, and two days in day care.

I am terrible at pumping and don't have a supply, plus it will be hard to pump at work. I wanted to start transitioning to formula so my DH can bond with her more. BUT I'm also selfishly not wanting to stop breast feeding because I feel like that will make us lose some of our bond in addition to me leaving her daily with other people! I have this fear that not only will she forget me but she will hate me. The possible day care is close to work and I feel like if I continue to BF I can go there during my lunches and feed her!! But if I keep BF and not pumping then DH is never going to bond and his two days a week with her will be miserable for the both of them for a while
  • Options
    I also cry about this almost every day. I go back to work at the end of January. The most I've been away from her is a few hours, maybe 2 or 3 times since birth, to go to the grocery store. My fiancee keeps consoling me by saying, "but she will be so well taken care of." (the daycare is owned by his family members.) I try to tell him, that's not the point. She is my whole world....the thought of having limited time with her and her being cared for by someone else breaks my heart. I'm going to be a wreck on my first day back.
  • Options
    I want to cry at the thought of going back to work. I am a teacher and I know my sub wants my job too, which makes it very tempting to just not go back. At least I only have 5 more months!
  • Options
    As a STM who has already been there, done that...don't waste your maternity leave crying. I know it's really hard, but you're over analyzing the unknown. Your babies won't hate you or forget you. Enjoy your time...you'll look back
    and wish you hadn't worried your time away :)
  • Options
    The night before my return to work was the hardest. But baby loves day care and I am happy being back at work. She's home with my husband two days a week and at day care three days. She never cries when I drop her off but is always so happy when I pick her up! It has been a great experience and I am grateful to afford daycare and health benefits!