October 2015 Moms
Options

Rotavirus vaccine and constipation

momma2charmomma2char member
edited December 2015 in October 2015 Moms
My daughter had the oral drinkable rotavirus vaccine on Tuesday and only had a little poop right before her vaccines, and hasn't had one since.. I was told a side effect of this vaccine could cause an upset stomach and diarrhea. She's exclusively breastfed and usually poop's 3-5x a day, and since the vaccine she is trying so hard to poop during her feedings and has been really gassy. She couldn't sleep well last night cause she was squirming so much from gas pains. I've already called the nurses helpline to see if I can give her anything to help pass the poop if she's constipated and have a list of things to do today to try and help her poop.. If she doesn't poop I've been told to take her to see a doctor tonight, but I'm just wondering if anyone else's baby (October baby or other children) have had an issue with constipation after this oral vaccine? I wasn't expecting this response from it and I'm not sure if it's even what caused this issue, but I'm curious if anyone else's LO has experienced this response too? I know some breast fed babies can go many days without pooping but it seems like she's trying to go and can't! :(

Re: Rotavirus vaccine and constipation

• Options
    Yes! My guy is formula feed and usually goes once he day. He didn't go for 3 days after the rotovirus vaccine. I called the Pediatrician and they said constipation was not a side affect but he was regular before. They told me to give him prune juice which I did but it didn't help. On the 3rd day he went to the chiropractor and pooped during the adjustment!!!
  • Options
    I had this same experience. He has the shot on Monday and it was wednesday and still no poo. He had been very regular. i called the doctor and she said it not likely a side affect of the shot, just circumstantial. She said breastfed babies can sometimes go 3 to 5 days with no poop, as long as they are still eating regular, passing gas, and not looking uncomfortable. On the 4th day he finally pooped (and hasn't stopped) and i could rest again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The public health unit called me back as I left a message this morning and said pretty much the same thing as you @larnold5726 .. It's just odd since she's had the same bowel habits since she's been born and all of the sudden the day of that vaccine it's changed! She looks uncomfortable but it's because of the gas I think, because I did what I would normally do to help her poop and only gas is coming out which will relieve her fussiness and then she's fine..I guess I'll just have to wait it out! If it's more than 5 days maybe I will take her to see a chiropractor and see if an adjustment helps