Breastfeeding
Options

Emotional about weaning

Anyone else weaning right now? I have been doing more pumping and formula supplementing because I'm getting bit a lot. Pretty sure it's early teething but I really can't deal. LO is 4 months old, I really only wanted to do this for 6 months or so anyway. Just every time I think about totally stopping I feel sad about it ending. I don't know if it's so much missing nursing or if it the 1st realization that he won't be a baby forever or my estrogen level going back up. I had wanted to quit at 2 months then got sad, changed my mind and have kept it up with some supplementing. Never had any pregnancy or postpartum baby blues but weaning is getting to me. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Re: Emotional about weaning

• Options
    Some moms experience blues when weaning, due to hormonal changes. My best friend had depression and anxiety for a couple weeks when she weaned her third child. It also can be an emotional time in general, to close that chapter. Totally normal to have those feelings. I still miss nursing, and it's been almost 2 years since I stopped!

If you feel like you'd like to continue breastfeeding, you can try unlatching LO when he bites, and set him down for a minute. Then try again. He'll learn that biting interrupts him getting milk. Also, if you notice he tends to bite at the end of a feeding, try unlatching him as soon as he's done eating so he doesn't have the chance to get bored and bite. My girls went through biting phases, but thankfully it didn't last long. Those bites hurt even though it's just their gums!
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    Thanks it helps to hear that. I'm doing a 2am feed right now...so much for quitting. I realized he was laughing at my reaction to the biting. I suppose he's learned cause and effect already. I tried remaining stoic and breaking him off and saying "no biting" in a not so cute voice. He stopped being amused. For the 2nd time I'm changing my mind. There is a pertussis outbreak in our county and I decided that I still want him to get the passive immunity from my milk so I'm going to tough it out for now. At this rate I'll end up doing baby led weaning lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited December 2015
    Mine bit at first but has now completely stopped. I used to yell out "OUCH!!" and that would startle him and he figured out that it was't a good thing to do. He now has six teeth at seven months and hasn't bit me in a long time. Good luck!
  • Options
    Some babies will bite as a reflex but if you consistently remind them to stop, they will eventually! Good luck!

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think I've got this now. If he starts to bite I break the latch and say No Biting! And I wait a few seconds before I give it back. If he starts again I stop and offer him a frozen washcloth or teether because he's just looking to rub his gums at that point. When he loses interest in that we nurse again until he's done.