March 2015 Moms

Standing Up

I am really hoping to get some advice. My 9 month old has figured out how to pull himself up and stand....which is great to see! But now when he should be sleeping he stands in his crib and cries until we go in and rock him to sleep. It breaks my heart to do "cry it out" but everybody keeps telling me I have to do it. He hasn't figured out he can sit back down after he stands so I feel like I have to go in and help him. But once he sees me he just wants me to hold him. How do I end the nights of him standing and crying?

Re: Standing Up

• You don't have to let him cry it out. That's something I would never do! My daughter doesn't stand and cry but she will sit there and whine so I just pick her up and we go sit in the living room in the dark and cuddle and she falls asleep and I put her back to bed. Some might say I'm spoiling her but she just wants to be cuddled for a little bit. I know everybody have their different opinions but you just have to keep trying things until something works
  • They will learn very quickly how to get back down. Mine does that too... She stands up anytime she wakes and just screams. I go in and try and tuck her back in, and if that doesn't work, I'll rock her for a bit. If that doesn't work, I let her cry it out. Usually she'll get tired enough that she will fall asleep by herself. Breaks my heart to hear her wailing, but mama needs to sleep too!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I agree. You absolutely don't have to. I do - what I do is set a timer. I watch for his cues, mood especially. And don't put him in his crib until I know he's tired. But sometimes it's hard to tell. So I set the timer for 10 minutes. That's as long as I let him yell. Usually he's out in 8 minutes or less. The only time he goes later is if he's just not tired. When he learned how to stand at first it was harder - we'd just gotten him on a schedule and used to napping - but when he started to stand was a whole new ballgame. But like another poster said - they do figure out how to sit down and sleep again. Hang in there! It gets easier!
  • I agree with Torie, my magic number is also 10 minutes before I get my girl and most of the time she is asleep before the 10 is up. Your son will learn how to get down pretty quick. Practice during day by teaching him how to stand and sit, it'll just click in a few days probably.

CIO doesn't have to be as scary as it sounds. There are lots of methods that involves checks ups and sitting by the crib.
  • Thank you ladies for replying. It's comforting to know what other moms have tried and that we all go through the same thing for the most part. Some nights are better than others-last night he went down so easily but then around 1:30 he was standing and crying. I got him back down pretty easily but then he was doing that again an hour later. His top two front teeth are coming in now so I kind of blame that at this moment.