September 2015 Moms

Questions to ask potential daycare?

We are touring daycare centers and I am wondering what questions should be on my list to ask? Thanks!

Re: Questions to ask potential daycare?

• 1. Do the teachers have degrees or any qualifications in childcare?
    2. What is the adult to child ratio?

Try and ask around if there has been any prior problems with the school/teachers. Research everything you can find because a lot of things go unrecognized in childcare facilites. I was a preschool teacher and I adored my job, but after the things I've seen, I myself am not comfortable ever sending my child to one. Just be sure you know everything about the place before you decide which to go to
  • I agree with Chelsea's points. Something to think about for further down the road (but very important) is their transition schedule. Do the kids move up when they're ready, when their birthday arrives, as a class, etc? I had major issues with DD1 being moved when they needed her spot, not when she was ready to move. It's solved now.

Also, I didn't know my school discounted tuition based on situations. My DD1 cost about $1250/month for full time. When DD2 was born they were going to charge $2500/month for the two of them. I told them that a nanny in the area would cost $2000/month and they were quick to drop our fee by $500/month! Now that I only have one in daycare, I've still been able to negotiate a discount and with DD3 starting in January they're still honoring the rate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I asked if they had video cameras and about their drop in policy. They didn't have cameras but they allow you to come visit / nurse when ever you would like.

Also asked about their security policy, staff turn over rate, cancelation policy (in case I found a better place or situation change), cleaning / sanitization, days / holidays they close on, bad weather closing policy...

I also dropped in twice to see : observe the infant room. It made me feel better to see all kids happy. I have a fear of my baby crying all alone in a crib. Each time, there was not a single kid crying or even awake and alone in the crib!
  • I'd ask about daily schedule: what will LO be doing during the day (especially how much "independent" time they allow; I didn't like the idea of LO being left under an activity mat or swing most of the day).

I'd ask about their communication policies. What do they consider "phone worthy", conversation worthy, and what would they just deal with on their own?

I'd ask how many care providers would be interacting with LO. Some places assign a worker to a child or children and some have rotating shifts.
  • 1.) Security of the facility. How do they prevent unauthorized individuals from accessing the building?
    2) How do they communicate the babies day, meaning diaper changes, eating, tummy time etc...
    3.) Tour all the rooms. If you expect to stay there for a while you will want to see the other rooms to make sure you feel comfortable.

4) I found too that if the first thing the place does is hand you a price sheet, run!!
  • In addition to the above suggestions, ask about their sick policy and what conditions exclude your child (and others) until they are feeling better.
  • Sick policy
    What are naps like? Lights on or off
    Drop in policy
    Cleanliness of toys/sheets etc
    How do that handle bottles? Do you mix the formula in advance or there (if you do formula)
    Early drop off fee? Late pick up fee?
    How do they handle your home schedule (I mean if kid is on schedule do they stick with it)
    Baby food: jars?
    Does babe have own drawer for supplies?
    How do they do daily communication (pics, diapers, bottle ounces)
  • @chelseajeanene do you mind if I ask what things you saw that make you not want to use daycare? I'm just thinking ahead to potential scenarios.
  • edited December 2015
    @imsoexcited915 some women favor some students and basically ignore the ones they don't care for. Screaming at "bad kids." Pinching ears or slapping hands off camera. Not writing incident reports for things that have happened. When kids bite other kids they don't clean the wound. One women I worked with had a degree in teaching and she got caught calling the kids names and making fun of their parents. She called one child a stupid twot but the kids were old enough to tell their parents. Not using the diapers or wipes you provide for your child and using anyone's. Kids with diaper allergies were constanly getting rashes because of it. Feeding kids the school offered food and eating the child's food for them self. A ton of the teachers refused to obey parents wishes who brought organic food and wouldn't want their kids having the school food. I had so many problems with the co-teachers in my room. I always got in trouble for telling the parents the truth about them when they asked me. You just never know anyone and it's so hard to trust

Edited to add more I forgot
  • OMG @chelseajeanene it is crazy to think these things happen. Not sure what's worse but I cannot believe a teacher would eat a little kids lunch for themself?!
  • @imsoexcited915 it was mainly the teachers for the younger kids because they couldn't tell their parents. I couldn't believe my eyes and it was half the staff
  • @chelseajeanene--it is places like that that give the whole field a bad rep. I went to school for my Masters in ECE because I feel it is a great field and I love working with the children and families. Licensing doesn't allow any of that in our state as I am sure many other states as well and that should all be reported. If the director won't do anything call the State yourself. It is important to remember that centers should not be like that and most are not.

In regards to what to look at you were offered some great suggestions @ddobrov . Something else to look at is centers who are NAEYC accredited. They might be slightly more price wise but they have stricter standards and guidelines to prove high quality care. I can help you look for that information of you are interested.
    Books to read in 2015: 9/60
  • edited December 2015
    eajanvrin said:

@chelseajeanene--it is places like that that give the whole field a bad rep. I went to school for my Masters in ECE because I feel it is a great field and I love working with the children and families. Licensing doesn't allow any of that in our state as I am sure many other states as well and that should all be reported. If the director won't do anything call the State yourself. It is important to remember that centers should not be like that and most are not.

I know it's not like this everywhere, this is just the things I personally experienced. She asked so I let her know. My director was the worst director I've ever seen. I quit at 4 months pregnant because I thought she was going to make my lose my baby. I had a bleeding episode earlier on and wasn't allowed to pick up my toddlers for diaper changes but she never cared. She left me over ratio daily and I've had to do 24 diapers changes by myself. When this director replaced the former one, half of the student body ended up switching school because of it. This personal experience was at The Learning Experience and they're all over the country. I don't want to make anyone scared to put their child in care when they don't have any other choice, I just strongly suggest that everyone researches each school first
    Edited to add:
    The day I quit 2 other teachers quit after me on the same day. I reported her to the state and didn't leave out any details and also to the The Learning Experience board. Parents and other staff members called and made complaints too. Unfortunately she's too "charming" and talked her way out of it all.