Chit Chat
Options

Quick rant!

Just found out my in-laws bought us a grandfather clock for christmas. It's being delivered in a week. We didn't ask for one or even want one and now it looks as if we're stuck with one! I'm not happy. Our home is decorated and furnished the way we want it to be; a little modern in design and a grandfather clock does not fit into our decor not does it fit in our home in regard to space. Not to mention we have a 4 month old baby and plans for 2 more on the future and grandfather clocks and little ones don't mix! I really don't mean to be ungrateful but I don't want something that we never wanted! I wish they saved their money or asked us what we really wanted or needed for our home. This is the 3rd time now that they've given us a "furniture" gift that we have to use because, well, they'd notice if it weren't in our home. I'm just so frustrated!

Re: Quick rant!

• Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    edited December 2015
    krn0405 said:
    Just found out my in-laws bought us a grandfather clock for christmas. It's being delivered in a week. We didn't ask for one or even want one and now it looks as if we're stuck with one! I'm not happy. Our home is decorated and furnished the way we want it to be; a little modern in design and a grandfather clock does not fit into our decor not does it fit in our home in regard to space. Not to mention we have a 4 month old baby and plans for 2 more on the future and grandfather clocks and little ones don't mix! I really don't mean to be ungrateful but I don't want something that we never wanted! I wish they saved their money or asked us what we really wanted or needed for our home. This is the 3rd time now that they've given us a "furniture" gift that we have to use because, well, they'd notice if it weren't in our home. I'm just so frustrated!
    @krn0405

I feel your pain lol. I have been there before. I usually put the item in our storage unit and I have a list (because some people give us multiple items I don't want to forget 1 and then they ask about it) on my computer with who gave us what so if they're coming over, DH and I can bring the item(s) up temporarily.

I wish I had advice for how to deal with it but I am afraid I don't. I'm sure how DH and I handle it is the best way lol. Just know you're not alone when it comes to unwanted gifts :)

edited: typo
    Me:27 | DH: 26
    Married: 7/26/14
    NTNP since: September '15
    TTC #1: October '15
  • Options
    hlvonb said:

krn0405 said:

@krn0405

I feel your pain lol. I have been there before. I usually put the item in our storage unit and I have a list (because some people give us multiple items I don't want to forget 1 and then they ask about it) on my computer with who gave us what so if they're coming over, DH and I can bring the item(s) up temporarily.

I wish I had advice for how to deal with it but I am afraid I don't. I'm sure how DH and I handle it is not the best way lol. Just know you're not alone when it comes to unwanted gifts :)

That's brilliant and something I thought of but a HUGE clock isn't so easy to move lol. Plus they live 10 min away and just "pop over" often ...yes we have some issues to work on!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is return it and say it's too big.
  • Options
    Ugh, I get this. My parents buy stupidly massive amounts of Christmas presents and I know I come across as a total spoiled brat saying this but j drives me nuts! We have to fly home for Xmas every year and year after year, they just don't seem to comprehend that we have luggage and weight restrictions and that when they load us up with a bunch of crap, it ends up costing us a fortune to get home.

I'm not actually kidding, last year just a sampling of the more obnoxious un asked for gifts were: a whole queen sized bed linen set, a wall mirror, a set of 12 wooden picture frames and a wooden train set for our then 4 month old (which he is still too little play with this year). It was ridiculous trying to get that all home in one piece. I just don't get when they're thinking sometimes.
  • Options
    Ugh what a nightmare! You're probably stuck putting it out, but couldn't you just turn it off when they aren't around?