Infertility

Help i forgot to start progesterone

Hi i was to start progesterone suppositories last night and i forgot!!! We has a my first try at ivi last Saturday. What should i do? Start it now in the am or just start it tonight? Or is it even necessary? Thanks!

Re: Help i forgot to start progesterone

• Yes it is necessary. I would call the doc emergency line and ask and not wait until their office opens tomorrow in case they want you to start now and take again tonight.
  • The progesterone is probably necessary, I have not done IVF, but a bunch of IUIs, each using progesterone sups. If I forgot them or did not have them with me exactly when I needed them, I would just put one in as soon as I was able. I am not sure if anything is different with IVF though. I am sure one of the IVF girls will be up soon and will chime in.
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited December 2015
    Yes, it is very necessary. Your body doesn't produce progesterone following ER/ET in IVF Bc they remove the eggs and the corpus luteum (the egg shell which deteriorates and provides the first burst of progesterone to help achieve implantation). It's very important. Call the emergency line for your office and confirm when your next dose should be. Doesn't mean you can't still build up the right progesterone levels after one missed dose, just make sure you verify your next step with the RE. I also recommend setting alarms on your phone so you don't miss doses. GL!
  • You wrote "ivi."  Did you mean IVF or IUI?

For IVF, progesterone is absolutely necessary, because you're dealing with an artificial cycle.

For IUI, it's still very helpful, but missing it is less harmful, since you ovulated and you're producing your own progesterone. 
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)