TTC After a Loss
Options

Why do you need to wait a cycle before TTC?

My doctor told me I need to wait 6-8 weeks to try again. I'm wondering why? I would love to try this month, if I can't we have to delay till March and I don't really want to wait that long... Anyone know what the risks are of getting pregnant too soon?

Re: Why do you need to wait a cycle before TTC?

• Options
    For early losses I think the main concerns are dating accuracy and possible emotional distress. For later losses I think there is worry that the uterus may need more time to heal before it could sustain another pregnancy.

it is kind of odd to me that your doctor told you 6-8 weeks rather than a number of cycles. I've never seen in phrased that way.
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    I agree with @ceclarlinetlo. I was personally told we did not have to wait for a first af after our miscarriage at 12w before we TTC and I have searched many sites and have read from many many women who conceived before a first af after mc and had healthy babies. To help with dating keep a log of every time you DTD and opk if you are taking them. Best of luck
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said that with D&C it was to allow time to heal. He originally said 2 cycles but then gave me okay to start trying by a certain date even if AF hadn't arrived
  • Options
    After a 12 week mmc and D&C, my OB said there was no real reason to wait.  Then my midwife said we must wait one cycle, but she didn't give a reason.  I did a lot of online searching and couldn't find a evidence based reason for waiting.  I will say though that my first period was very unusual.  It started off super heavy with bits of tissue I can only assume were remnants, stopped the next day, then came back light for 2 days.  I feel like for me, my body probably needed a cycle to get back to normal.
  • Options
    I think part of it with a natural mc is possible confusion. If there is still hCG in your system that could mean there still are remnants left, which could cause an infection, and could be concealed by a new pregnancy. Also for dating purposes since they use LMP. 

With a D&C you need time to heal as you are prone to infection at that time. I was told to wait 4 weeks, although others are told 2 and I think I'll ask if 2 is okay when the time comes. I would think so. 

I think it's mostly one of those default things people tell you. Part of it is also assuming you aren't emotionally ready for another pregnancy. 
  • Options
    RipleyLV426RipleyLV426 member
    edited December 2015
    I agree with ceclarlinetlo too. Give yourself a few weeks at least. I didn't and I didn't get pregnant right away like I had hoped and it almost made things worse
    *BFP and Loss Warning*

Married 10/01/11 to my partner in crime
    TTC #1 since 01/15 
    Me: PCOS 
    3 cycles of Clomid + TI - BFN
    IUI #1 Femara + Ovidrel - BFP!!!
    MC 07/15
    IUI #2-4 Femara + Ovidrel +Crinone - BFFN >:(
    IUI #5-6 Follistim + Ovidrel + Crinone - BFFN!
      IUI #7 Follistim + Ganirelix + Ovidrel + Prometrium + Baby Aspirin - BFP! PLEASE STICK!!!
    1/25 Beta #1: 389, #2: 940! IT'S TWINS! 
    TEAM DOUBLE PINK!!!! <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was told to wait 3 and I had an early loss. I had a mc in June and then I thought well I feel okay and I feel ready to try again. I think it was 3 weeks after I stopped bleeding I ovulated and got pregnant again. I was so happy. Sadly I lost that one as well. We will never know why I loss both but now looking back I really feel like we should have waited. They say something about right after a mc it might be harder for a new embryo to implant itself to your uterus. Or so my doctor told me
  • Options
    I got pregnant again right after my first mc (no AF in between). The first mc was so early that I probably would have just thought I was a few days late for AF if I had not been testing. No one told me there was any need to wait to try again.  Sadly, the second pregnancy also ended in an mc. I have no reason to think it was related to not waiting, but it's hard not to wonder.

I decided to wait a cycle before trying again, and I will say my first period after the second mc was bizarre. I won't get into the tmi stuff, but it was very different than normal. My doctor said sometimes the uterine lining needs a chance to get back to normal. 
  • Options
    marie2409 said:

I got pregnant again right after my first mc (no AF in between). The first mc was so early that I probably would have just thought I was a few days late for AF if I had not been testing. No one told me there was any need to wait to try again.  Sadly, the second pregnancy also ended in an mc. I have no reason to think it was related to not waiting, but it's hard not to wonder.

I decided to wait a cycle before trying again, and I will say my first period after the second mc was bizarre. I won't get into the tmi stuff, but it was very different than normal. My doctor said sometimes the uterine lining needs a chance to get back to normal. 

Same thing happened to me. We started trying 2 cycles after the two mc I had this summer and now I'm not getting pregnant. Af has been weird for me too- but in a good way it's been a lot lighter then it was before and less cramps.