Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Losing my mind!!!

Hi ladies,

I have a 5 month old baby (in fact, she just turned 5) and for the past few days is being very difficult to put her to sleep. She used to sleep in my bedroom in her bassinet, right beside me and my husband and I started to put her down to sleep in her bedroom, her own crib for the past two weeks and she didn't mind it at all! She was sleeping just fine and she always woke up twice in the middle of the night to eat (she was really hungry, she would chug it down!) which she still does BUT she's NOT sleeping nearly as much anymore. She would cry for 10 min or less and would fall asleep on her own. But now, she wakes up like she's uncomfortable and yes, I made sure everything was ok, diaper, feedings, temperature and etc and it is always fine. She falls asleep and wakes up 15 min later and keep doing it for at least 4 more times! Then she finally falls asleep for 3 hours and wakes up to eat and so on...she's such a calm, sweet baby! She hardly complains or gets uncomfortable. She's being chewing on her hands a lot and grabs my fingers and put straight in her mouth like she's starving and I just feed her. I checked her gums to see if it's teething but is hard for me to believe since she was born at 33 weeks, although, she catch up to the other babies that wasn't born prematurely pretty quickly! She just begun rolling and etc...I don't know what's going on and I was just wondering if anyone has or is experiencing the same or similar thing? 

Re: Losing my mind!!!

• Options

Sounds like it could be teething. Most babies start around 3-4 months old. Have you tried Tylenol or teething tablets? I really like Hyland's teething tabs for my kids. OR, this could be the 4 month sleep regression coming a little late. If you aren't sure what that is, Google "4 month wakeful" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

My biggest piece of advice is to try not to get frustrated when this happens because sleep regressions are totally normal and will keep happening long after your LO isn't even a baby anymore! Parents get used to their LO sleeping a certain way and then it changes and it can be frustrating but try to roll with the new schedule OR find what could be wrong.

• Options
    If she was born at 33 weeks, her adjusted age is closer to 4 months than 5...so you may just be hitting the classic 4 month sleep regression a bit late (this is common for early babies). Research it and if it doesn't get better in a few weeks, consider sleep training. Ferber's book is the bible of sleep training so you could read it now to prepare (i very strongly suggest reading the book and not just blindly following any Ferber-like Internet suggestions...many of those involve a lot more crying than is truly necessary/suggested).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    delujm0 said:

If she was born at 33 weeks, her adjusted age is closer to 4 months than 5...so you may just be hitting the classic 4 month sleep regression a bit late (this is common for early babies). Research it and if it doesn't get better in a few weeks, consider sleep training. Ferber's book is the bible of sleep training so you could read it now to prepare (i very strongly suggest reading the book and not just blindly following any Ferber-like Internet suggestions...many of those involve a lot more crying than is truly necessary/suggested).

Thanks for this. I just bought the book on amazon for $10. I'm trying to begin a little training because LO is able to fall back to sleep when he wakes a little bit. I'm planning on moving him to the crib at 6 months or sooner if he outgrows the dreamglider before then.
  • Options
    I would not sleep train an infant that may be going through a developmental period. https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/wonder-weeks-chart-baby-toddler-sleep/ (use adjusted age. )
    Make sure he's not on a regression week.

https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com (very little crying using her methods of sleep training. Done in 2 days. )
  • Options
    Thank you ladies, she had that sleep regression phase already. This is definitely different. She still chewing on her fingers and hands even after I feed her 7oz!!! Yes, she's a big girl, almost 16lbs!!! Her pediatrician wanted me to start feeding her baby food slowly since she's giving all the signs that she's ready and she's doing fantastic. She still drinks her bottle but the sucking seems to bother her, she used to love her pacifier and now she can't suck it for more than 5min!!! I give her some tylenol and that seems to help a bit. She has some teething signs like the rose cheeks, sleep and eating issues, the drool, the little chin rash from drooling and the constant chewing on fingers and hands BUT I don't see anything different in her gums. Is like she's uncomfortable. She only sleeps in her crib and she sleeps better there. 
  • Options
    They can have a couple months of teething symptoms before they cut the first one. Rough!
  • Options
    Baby'smom said:
    I would not sleep train an infant that may be going through a developmental period. https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/wonder-weeks-chart-baby-toddler-sleep/ (use adjusted age. ) Make sure he's not on a regression week. https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com (very little crying using her methods of sleep training. Done in 2 days. )
    The wonder weeks are garbage IMO!
  • Options

Baby'smom said:

I would not sleep train an infant that may be going through a developmental period. https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/wonder-weeks-chart-baby-toddler-sleep/ (use adjusted age. )
    Make sure he's not on a regression week.

https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com (very little crying using her methods of sleep training. Done in 2 days. )

This was not something I'd ever really heard of with my first but seems to be all the rage this time around. I was reading about the thinking this weekend and intrigued but can't remember enough about DD1's early weeks to see how it compares.

Do you think it's garbage because really every baby is different?
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    tracij12 said:
    Baby'smom said:
    I would not sleep train an infant that may be going through a developmental period. https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/wonder-weeks-chart-baby-toddler-sleep/ (use adjusted age. ) Make sure he's not on a regression week. https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com (very little crying using her methods of sleep training. Done in 2 days. )
    This was not something I'd ever really heard of with my first but seems to be all the rage this time around. I was reading about the thinking this weekend and intrigued but can't remember enough about DD1's early weeks to see how it compares. Do you think it's garbage because really every baby is different?
    Exactly. I guess I just know far too many people that depend heavily on the wonder weeks explaining away everything bad that their baby is going through. It's just something to make money IMO.
  • Options
    Our oldest quit afternoon naps. I emailed our therapist asking if it was time to give them up. She said not usually this early. Then I was reading up on the stage in the book. It said 'most parents think their kid is giving up afternoon naps'. He was shortly in his routine again. I looked back at date of text. One day before the adjusted age of the wonder week! It's amazing. And it's been this way for 3 infants at a variety of stages.
  • Options
    seems like solid foods might help, waking up twice a night for a feeding is kind of a lot at that age i think, many babies are sleeping all night, mine still wakes for 1 feeding, so she does seem hungry. However, teething is also a possibility, but unlikely at the adjusted age of 4 months. Don't let the drool fool you. My 3.5 month old has been wearing bibs 24/7 for 2 months, he's just a neanderthal i think but he drools non stop, no teething...