July 2016 Moms
Options

Prenatal massage in 1st Tri?

I don't recall from my last pregnancy and my doctor's office isn't open yet - my girlfriends are trying to schedule a spa day for my 11th week. I won't do facials because of the face regimen i'm on which leaves me with a prenatal massage - is this safe in the 1st tri? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Prenatal massage in 1st Tri?

• Options
    Absolutely so long as you are going to somebody trained and prenatal massage. Massage is a fantastic way to relax and sometimes alleviate symptoms. Personally, I prefer that they don't use essential oils or anything else with a strong smell.
  • Options
    My massage therapist says no. She now teaches massage.
    She says that the release of toxins in the 1st tri has not been studied and they can not verified that harm to the embryo will not be done.

Safe than sorry.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would call the spa you're going to. There are many that will not do it in the first trimester bc of liability issues. But there are also those who will do it and are confident in their training. Do they offer mani/pedis? That could be an alternative if you choose not to get a prenatal massage.
  • Options
    I would call the spa, they might not let you do it for liability reasons. I agree with the mani/pedi suggestion!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    I had a massage last week at 10 weeks 5 days. My massage lady is trained in it and she does massage and any point throughout pregnancy. My hips and back have been killing me so it was so amazing to get worked on!
  • Options
    Thanks guys ... I will definitely call the spa and I'm thinking i'll be so close to 12 wks i'd rather be safe than sorry. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was told no by a spa, so definitely call before.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 16 BMB-December Siggy Challenge- Holiday Animals 

• Options
    I just want to make a note for anybody that might use the search function and pull this up in the future. Later on, there are a lot of spots that have tables with holes cut out for bumps. Those don't tend to be a good choice because it can put a lot of pressure on the ligaments and even though they're in a lot of high-end spas, it's not considered beneficial by most doctors.
  • Options
    @BostonBaby1 wow...I would have never guessed that...thanks for sharing! <3
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    They suggest, in later trimesters, to lay on your side for a prenatal massage.
  • Options
    I am a prenatal massage therapist. There are absolutely no contraindications to massage in the first trimester or anytime in a "normal" and healthy pregnancy. It is completely safe and I would even recommend many of my colleagues who are not specifically prenatal therapists, just be sure to let them know your pregnant. All massage therapists should be trained in pathology and anatomy/physiology and understand how to deal with a pregnant client. I would definitely go to a prenatal massage therapist anytime past 20 weeks because they do have a vast knowledge of pregnancy and indications and contraindications for each individual client.