Pregnant after a Loss

Disappointed in prenatals

edited December 2015 in Pregnant after a Loss
Hi all. I guess I just need reassurance.

I have pretty much been on prenatals since I started my conception journey 3 years ago. I used to take Metagenics Wellness Essentials Pregnancy for about 2 years. They are top of the line and cost about $2 aday, with 7 pills. After a while I couldn't deal with the number of pills, so I switched to PreNa1 Pearl (prescription for doc, free, one pill). I have gotten some totally random cramp in the top of my calf and can barely walk (and it seems different than the 3rd trimester, you've put on weight cramps). Looked it up and it could be a vit deficiency. Looked at the Pearl and it has literally 1/3 of what was in my hippy expensive stuff. I do eat a good diet (and drink a LOT of water) and I have heard that vitamins may be unnecessary if you are getting what you need from your food. I looked up what I have heard others take and it seems really basic (like only 6 or 7 different vitamins) so maybe this isn't a big deal.

At 14 weeks, so much important stuff has happened already and I wonder if some lack will be transferred to baby. Am I reading into this vit deficiency thing with the cramping? My exhaustion/nausea has not even remotely decided to end. Just switch to other vitamins and what's done is done? Thanks (feel a little foolish about posting this--yay, worry).
*****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga

Re: Disappointed in prenatals

• Hmmm. I take one a day hyvee brand prenatal vitamins. I looked at the bottle and it met all of the listed requirements for prenatal vitamins. Just eat healthy and the vitamins supplement what you are taking in naturally. You can also take the vitamins to your OB to show them and they will check to make sure they contain what they are looking for.
  • Thanks. This one seems to be missing calcium! It was given to me by my reproductive endo, so I am surprised. It seems to have the other stuff in it though.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • I've worked my way through a bunch of prenatals and settled on the Rainbow Light Prenatal One brand.  They're the only ones that don't horribly upset my stomach because they have anti-nausea additons (B6 & ginger) and probiotics as well as a good level of most things you need.  It doesn't have all the calcium you need but it's got a good balance of calcium and magnesium to help with absorption.  I pay about $20 for a bottle of 150 on amazon.  I had gastric bypass surgery close to ten years ago so they monitor my vitamin levels when I'm pregnant pretty closely and the only thing that was outside the normal range was my Vitamin D was a little low (but I live in WA and it's winter so that's about 90% of people here.)  I've quit taking my special expensive post-surgical vitamins and just take these all the time because they work so well for me. 

Every person is different of course, but this is WAY cheaper than $2 a day and might be an option for someone else overwhelmed by all the options out there, especially if they make you sick.   My best friend is a guy who worked for a natural health distributor and when I was pregnant with my son and wanted to die from morning sickness and was panicking because I couldn't keep anything down he actually walked around their main office and surveyed all of the women working there to see what might work for me and this was the winner!  Not only was it incredibly sweet, it was extremely effective because it's the only vitamin I've ever been able to keep down when I pregnant!