Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

The Cost Of A Newborn Baby

It dawned on me that Rambo will be on maternity leave (as we self employed there will be no maternity/paternity pay) for a while and the responsibility will be on me solely to provide for the family. I could probably write a blog post about how much this scares me, but I’ll save that for another day. Instead I’ll put my analytical hat on and try and do some financial planning.

The first task is to try and work out what the essentials for a new born are and what are those things that are either nice to haves or can wait a little time before being purchased. The second task would be to put a rough price next to each item. (For pricing options I have taken the lowest price for each item off the John Lewis website):

John Lewis Nursery Checklist

NEW BORN COST: £986 / $1490

Sleeping (£484 /$730)

Moses Basket: £35 – See More

Moses Basket Mattress: £10 See More

Moses Basket Sheet: £10 See More

Cot: £379 – See More

Cot Mattress: £25 – See More

Cot Sheets: £12 – See More

Swaddling Blanket: £9 – See More

Room Thermometer & Night Light: £4 – See More

Bathing & Changing (£65 / $98)

Baby Bath: £9 – See More

Bath Thermometer: £4 – See More

Baby Sponge: £1 – See More

Bath Towels: £12 – See More

Changing Mat: £5 – See More

Baby Wipes: £3 – See More

Muslin Squares: £13 – See More

Baby Grooming: £12 – See More

Pack Of Dummies: £6 – See More

Nappies: £10 – See More

Breast Feeding (£49 / $74)

Sexy Nursing Bras: £25 – See More

Breast Pads: £4.50 – See More

Nipple Cream: £10 – See More

Nipple Protectors: £9 – See More

Travel (£338 / $510)

Car Seat: £125 – See More

Pushchair: £200 – See More

Changing Bag: £13 – See More

Clothes (£50 / $75)

Body Suit: £5 – See More

Sleep Suits: £10 – See More

Snow Suit: £28 – See More

Mitts: £4 – See More

Socks: £3 – See More

What have I missed?

Choco

@Dad Future | Http://FirstTimeDad.Info

Re: The Cost Of A Newborn Baby

• Options
    Baby activities like a swing, activity mat, bouncy seat, sling/carrier, etc. If you're just going with essentials swing and carrier. It may not seem like a must-have but that 6lbs baby gets heavy and you need to eat, go to the bathroom, and just give arms a break sometimes. Babies love being worn and they love motion.
  • Options

I will admit that I don't know what some of the things are that you listed! The sexy nursing bra gave me a chuckle though. If you really want to know the very basics you need in the beginning then here is my advice:

Don't spend a bunch on nursing bras and nursing supplies because you don't know if breastfeeding will even work. You can always run to the store later to get her what she needs. You should have a breast pump on hand though and breast pads, comfortable bra/sports bra.

First day home from the hospital you should have swaddles, warm onesie outfits, warm hat/beanie, blanket and a place for your baby to sleep (bassinet, rock 'n' play, mamaroo, etc). You won't need a crib for at least a couple months.

Other essentials right away are diapers and wipes plus a diaper rash cream. You don't need a baby bath tub right away either (although they are relatively cheap), I bathed my kids in the sink for weeks and you don't even need soap right away because you basically just wipe them down with a wash cloth. Have some gas drops on hand too or gripe water.

A good baby carrier is always important because babies like to be close to you. I had a Moby wrap when baby was a newborn and have an Ergo now. Also, get a little bouncy/vibrating seat so you have some place to stick the baby when you aren't holding him/her. A good swing is also a lifesaver.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I will admit that I don't know what some of the things are that you listed! The sexy nursing bra gave me a chuckle though. If you really want to know the very basics you need in the beginning then here is my advice:

Don't spend a bunch on nursing bras and nursing supplies because you don't know if breastfeeding will even work. You can always run to the store later to get her what she needs. You should have a breast pump on hand though and breast pads, comfortable bra/sports bra.

First day home from the hospital you should have swaddles, warm onesie outfits, warm hat/beanie, blanket and a place for your baby to sleep (bassinet, rock 'n' play, mamaroo, etc). You won't need a crib for at least a couple months.

Other essentials right away are diapers and wipes plus a diaper rash cream. You don't need a baby bath tub right away either (although they are relatively cheap), I bathed my kids in the sink for weeks and you don't even need soap right away because you basically just wipe them down with a wash cloth. Have some gas drops on hand too or gripe water.

A good baby carrier is always important because babies like to be close to you. I had a Moby wrap when baby was a newborn and have an Ergo now. Also, get a little bouncy/vibrating seat so you have some place to stick the baby when you aren't holding him/her. A good swing is also a lifesaver.

I got a kick out of sexy nursing bras too lol. I would have 1 comfortable nursing bra to start if she hasn't been wearing them. Honestly in the 1st month or so you don't go out much and I wasn't wearing bras at all and LO nursed almost constantly. And yes if BFing doesn't work out it would suck more to have a bunch of supplies lying around. That being said have a little formula handy in case there's an issue because believe me if there's a feeding issue it will be in the middle of the night and a starving baby will not latch. He did have diapers on the list, they call them nappies in England.