Pregnant after a Loss

Weight training

Hi. I currently see a trainer and the workouts are pretty intense. Primarily heavy weights with squats, presses, lunges, rowing machine etc. I'm curious if anyone else continued weight lifting in the first trimester. My MC was in July at about 6 weeks. With this pregnancy I'm just at five weeks. So far HCG and progesterone levels look good.

I'm just worried about such heavy exertion and even holding my breath while I squat. I just took two weeks off because I've been so nervous about going. I also know how good exercise is and I don't want to let myself waste away with no exercise.

Thoughts? Advice?

Re: Weight training

• I don't have any advice for you, but I wish I had your energy. I'm feeling nauseous and can barely leave the couch right now. When I feel better and start exercising again, I think I'm going to stick with walking and my pure barre prenatal DVDs.
  • But if you exercise before pregnancy, it's safe to continue your routine right? That's what I've heard.
  • Loading the player...
  • They say that anything you did before I fine during pregnancy..but I lifted three days a week and did cardio the other two, my doctors reduced my weight lifting to no more than 10 pounds (which to me was pointless) and no squats. I followed my doctors orders, I figured I could always train hardcore after baby was born. :smile:
  • I'd read no squats somewhere. Not sure if that actually true but might be worth looking up!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I exercised through two successful pregnancies including one that was high risk and through the pregnancy which ended in MC. My OBs advise regarding exercise during my high risk pregnancy was what I have followed for any pregnancy.... Exercise is fine but slow down or reduce intensity of you have any cramping or abdominal pain, as far as weightlifting the only precaution I was given was not to lift so intensely that you Valsalva (where you hold you breathe and close down your throat with the exertion of the lift. He also said if this baby is viable continuing exercise at your pre pregnancy level is not going to harm anything, if the pregnancy is not then it will end regardless of what you do. And advised me to exercise within the parameters that I would not blame myself if something went wrong
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I do high-intensity interval training, although the nausea is making that pretty miserable at the moment. I'll be 6 weeks tomorrow. My dr said there was no need for any restrictions yet. I think the restrictions start around when I reach the second trimester, but I need to get more details. He said not to worry about it for now. Also, I recently read that squats are better than keegels for preparing you for childbirth. The article said that we used to go to the bathroom by squatting and were naturally prepared by that. Now that I've heard conflicting info, I'll have to look into it.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Agree with all these things. I did high intensity interval training and was running 5k a few times a week pre-pregnancy. When I got pregnant again after my mc my dr said it was safe to keep working out but for my peace of mind I might want to cool it for a while until my viability ultrasound. After we saw things were good I got back into working out but lessened the amount of weight a bit and have been using the elliptical instead of running. I'm sure it would have been fine to keep running but I did that with my first pregnancy and I'm superstitious... and now at nearly 20 weeks it's just uncomfortable.

I have read that squats aren't great in the first tri but later on they are the best for childbirth prep. Also in a lot of prenatal yoga work outs yoga squats are a big part of the practice. After hearing one woman on my BMB describe her first birth experience as "squatting for 3 hours straight" I can see how they would be necessary!

All in all I'd say just tell your trainer you are pregnant - shouldn't they know what is safe or not? Of course would always confirm with your dr too.

• I told all my trainers last time and lost the pregnancy a week later, so I'm keeping it to myself for now. They told me to keep my hr low and not do anything on my back, but my dr said there was no need for restrictions. And he said the stuff on my back wouldn't matter this early.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I've got a prenatal personal trainer. She has said that I can do most things because I was already fit before hand. The restrictions she has said are: never let your heart beat go over 140 bpm, don't exercise to the point you can't hold a conversation, don't exercise so that you are sweating, take more frequent and longer breaks, and no sit ups or crunches. The last one is because it forces the abdominal muscles apart, which the pregnancy is already doing, so it will be harder to get them back together afterwards.

If you are worried maybe go to a PT and get them to write up a plan for you.

Little boy due July 31st 2016