October 2015 Moms
Options

Not enough skin to skin

Wigglesx2Wigglesx2 member
edited December 2015 in October 2015 Moms
I found it hard to do skin to skin with LO and went through a hard time even holding in the beginning. We also have family over often so it was hard to do as I got better. Now I feel like we aren't connected and LO doesn't like me.

Is skin to skin really that important? Am I just sleep deprived and crazy to think LO hates me? Is it too late to try?

LO is 2 months old now

Re: Not enough skin to skin

• Options
    I am not sure if there is a 'too late'. Why don't you just try? I do skin to skin with my almost 4 week old at least every night. We go to bed, I undress him and I go topless. He lies in my chest or even while bf. I don't think not doing skin to skin disconnects you from your baby thou, but I am sure baby loves the feeling of it. Also, if visitors stop you from connecting with your baby, cut down on the visits and take time for skin to skin instead.
  • Options
    I literally only did skin to skin the first hour of LO's life because her temp wasn't regulating itself. I do not feel any less connected to her. I agree that if it is that important to you, make time for it and be more strict with visiting hours.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First off, your baby doesn't hate you! Your the baby's mom! We still do skin-to-skin (she is 6.5 weeks), especially when she gets really upset. Even when we had family here for a week, i would excuse myself and go to our bedroom to feed her and we would usually do it skin-to-skin because our schedules were crazier with family visiting. It is not too late to try. We still do it because I think it's wonderful. It really calms her down too when we do. However you decide to connect with your baby is what will be best. : ) it's a special relationship between the two of you! If you want to try skin-to-skin, I suggest going to your room and just getting under the covers and laying baby on your chest. Do it where you will be calm, relaxed and comfortable. Good luck!
  • Options
    Your baby doesn't hate you. Sounds like you need some sleep, being sleep deprived really takes a toll on your mind. Have someone give you a hand so you can sleep.
  • Options
    I didn't get to hold baby for a while after birth and we just had so much going on I never really got to do skin to skin and haven't worked it into our routine and he's almost 6 weeks old (we cuddle lots and lots, though). I have definitely had those feelings of him not liking me but I can guarantee you it had everything to do with exhaustion and not lack of skin to skin. Its a wonderful thing but its not the end of the world if you havent gotten a chance to do it! You're with baby so often that you probably don't see how much that baby knows and loves you. Pay attention next time someone's over at how baby's eyes will flick your direction when you talk. Each baby is different but they all have some tell for showing their love for mommy. Just try and take some time to yourself to refresh and I promise you'll feel a little better. And no, it's not to late to start if that's something you want to do! Hang in there, mama!
  • Options
    Even breast feeding is considered skin to skin and if you bottle feed make sure your hand is touching LOs face. Also when holding LO over your shoulder do cheek to cheek...so if you can't get in full on skin to skin time try this!
  • Options
    You can always do baths with your LO, thats good skin to skin time. Baby and I do skin to skin frequently throughout the day. When I come home I hangout on a sports bra so when I nurse we do skin to skin then. Also, I give baby a bath every other day so after bathtim e before I dress her we snuggle on the couch and do skin to skin with a blanket over top to help calm her and warm her back up.