TTC After a Loss
Options

Finding a new Ob-Gyn, Is it worth it?

HI everyone. I am new to this board. I found out Monday that my baby no longer had a heartbeat and I have a D&C scheduled for Friday. 

I am not a big fan of my doctor and the practice I am in currently. 4 years ago,while with a different practice in different town I lived in, I had an unplanned pregnancy, which ultimately resulted in a loss. My previous ob-gyn had me come in immediately after the BFP, did blood work and walked me through what I should and shouldn't be doing while pregnant, They did a U/S at 6 weeks. I was 32 at the time. 

I found it odd that when I called my new practice they told me that they wouldn't see me until 8-12 weeks and when I did go in at 8 weeks, I had to beg to get a U/S to see the heartbeat. She said that she usually did that during the dating ultrasound. I found out yesterday that the doctor didn't even have my HCG levels tested in my bloodwork, so I have no idea if they were ever normal. My FRER BFP came in on a Friday and my Wondo BFP did not come until a week later making me wonder if they were ever even doubling.  She just assumed that everything was fine b/c I mentioned that I had slight nausea. 

Maybe I am asking for a lot, but I would like to find a doctor that will give me blood work right away, that would give me as much assurance as possible that things were progressing normally or let me know if they are things that aren't so great, so that I can be better prepared for things going wrong. Has anyone had an experience changing providers and have any insight in to this? Can you just call around to ob-gyn offices and ask if they do this?  Insurance shouldn't be an issue b/c I have REALLY good insurance that covers fertility services. 

Re: Finding a new Ob-Gyn, Is it worth it?

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it's not unusual for providers to not see pregnant patients until 8-12 weeks. But if you've had 2 losses I would absolutely want to be seen earlier.  With my last pregnancy I first had an ultrasound and bloodwork done at 10 weeks, and at 12 weeks saw a midwife where the loss was discovered. I was sent to another office & OB for the D&C and follow up. I asked both about being seen sooner with my next pregnancy, and the OB's office said they would try to get me in earlier next time if I called right after BFP. The midwife said I could go see her for blood work if I wanted after my next bfp. Of course I realize neither of those would have made a difference since all looked good at my 10 week u/s. I don't know what I'll choose but it's nice to have options, and you should certainly go to the provider that you feel best with.
  • Options
    Sorry for your losses. Like your current OBGYN, my practice also does not see people until they are 8-12 weeks. For my first pregnancy I had to beg to come in at 8 weeks, otherwise I wouldn't have been seen until 10 or 12 weeks. I was kind of shocked because as a member of a board on this site, it seemed like the majority of women were getting ultrasounds at like 6 weeks, which was definitely not the case with me.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you about switching practices. I feel like I'd like a little more attention with having trouble conceiving, a premature birth, and now a miscarriage and will probably need some handholding the next time I get pregnant. 

I would think you could call different OB offices and ask their initial protocols for new pregnancies etc. and find one that might offer you a little more early support. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB/GYN practice has a nurse talk to you on the phone at 6 weeks and then your first in person appt is at 10 weeks, and at that appointment they only do a Doppler (not an ultrasound).  However, they do have you in earlier for a dating ultrasound if there is a question about your dates.

After a loss, however, I think they are a little more proactive in following up with you for your next pregnancy.
  • Options
    The ob we had during our pregnancy got us in for an US right away at 5 weeks however she missed the fact that my progesterone levels were low at our first appointment (5weeks) and missed that my GS was 2 weeks delayed in size to our baby at our next appointment (8weeks). Neither of these things were brought to our attention, in-fact we were never told about them but instead we read it in our medical record after our MC at 12weeks. needless to say we left that practice and had all our follow up work done through our midwife (who we will continue to stay with) I try not to think about it but in my heart I feel my our baby would be here today if the OB had only seen the red flags and put me on supplement. With that said if there is any part of you doubting the faith or comfort with your Dr I would leave. Everything is more intense and scarier after you loose a baby and I feel moms who are pregnant after a loss need extra care and attention from their Dr. They need to know that their concerns and fears are being heard and not brushed away because they sound "ridiculous". find a Dr you love and feel happy with, take this time to look around and see what you can find. Do some shopping and compare... best of luck to you and very sorry for you loss. @chloe97
  • Options
    I agree with @ssnova! It's really important that you trust your dr and if you have the smallest doubt about it you should look around...
  • Options
    It's up to you if you feel willing and wanting to change doctors. What you're describing is pretty standard across the board. Most doctors do not see you until 8-12w and will not do bloodwork when you get a BFP. There are differences and exceptions, though...

My doctor, for example, sees patients at 12w but has his nurse practitioner see them at 8w for the viability check, which includes an ultrasound. If you have concerns, though, they will see you at 6w for the viability check, even if it's just to put your mind at ease. They do bloodwork whenever you ask, as well to put your mind at ease. All doctors are different... I've seen a lot of them (if not most) tell you to go to the ER if you spot or bleed, mine told me to page him every time and he'll see me any time (when I first spotted, I saw him at almost 11p that night). I know I lucked out with this doc, he is my SIL's OB and came with great recommendation. Do you have anyone that can recommend someone?
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. This is helpful. A friend of my husband is a labor and delivery nurse and highly recommends her OB who delivered her very complicated pregnancy in September. After I do my followup after my D&C, I'm going to see if I can get in with him for an annual and to talk about our issues. Obviously it's easy when you are grieving to blame everyone around you- including your Dr, but at the very least I want to be with an OB who will be ready to try to get to the bottom of what's going on if I miscarry again.

Our first appointment with the OB was the last appt and our Dr was obviously hurrying to get rid of us that night. We have so many questions and I just think it's weird that they did no blood work to check my HCG levels. Besides my blood type, we still have no idea what the other blood work said because she didn't tell us.
  • Options
    It does seem strange that she didn't check your levels with your blood work. I'm in a different situation, I'm a vet and my husband is active duty. I'm lucky because he works in the hospital and vets the doctors I see. In the military hospital they do blood work to confirm your pregnancy if you tell them you got a positive HPT, and they call you within 48 hours with the results. Luckier still, my doc knows I've had two losses and told me as soon as I get a BFP to call her and she will see me right away, so we can monitor any new pregnancy. Otherwise, the OB clinics don't see you until at least 8 weeks unless you go in for an emergency visit.

Bottom line though is that PPs were right. If you don't like or trust your doc then getting a new one seems like a really good idea. You have to have a good, two-way relationship. Patient care is about the patient, ultimately. As the patient you should decide what level of comfort and communication you need. Good luck OP!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker